• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Some in the UK get Windows 7 early.

Beerman

Windows 7 orders are arriving in some UK customers’ letterboxes three days ahead of the operating system’s official launch.

Currys and PC World have shipped some editions of the software early in a move to try and offset the pain customers face from Royal Mail's planned 48-hour strike on Thursday 22 October, which happens to coincide with Redmond’s latest OS christening.

Just received through my letterbox a brand spanker of new Windows 7 DVD Home Premium courtesy of PC World. Nice and fast before all of the official release dates,” one Register reader told us.

Others similarly confirmed that they too had been sent their copies early, having pre-ordered various flavours of the operating system in July via Currys and PC world, which are both owned by retail giant DSGi.

El Reg asked Microsoft if it was aware of copies of Windows 7 being shipped early to Currys and PC World punters.

A spokesman at the software vendor gave us this statement:

"Microsoft is aware of the planned postal strike and has taken action to minimise impact on those customers who pre-ordered their copies of Windows 7. As a result, some customers may receive their copy of Windows 7 a day or two early."

Meanwhile, a spokesman at DSGi confirmed that the electrical dealer used other carriers including DHL, and so wasn't reliant purely on the Royal Mail for deliveries.

"We have taken a customers-first approach, and given the threat of Royal Mail strike action, we have consulted with Microsoft and authorised the early release of a first batch of Windows 7," he added.

We asked online retail giant Amazon if it was also posting out the software early to customers who had pre-ordered the OS.

"We will be doing everything we can to ensure that Amazon customer orders are not disrupted including routing orders through our other carrier partners," it said in a statement.

Earlier this month Amazon confirmed it was mulling "contingency measures" to deal with what biz secretary Lord Mandelson described as "suicidal" industrial action at the Royal Mail. ®

Some, like Best Buy guarantee delivery on the 22nd but most just say around the 22nd. Early orders from Office Depot (if prearranged) can be picked up at your local shop.

Newegg only shows mine 'on hold' at this point.

Same with mine at newegg Paul, Said nothing about an actual shipping date however.

Seems like we are all getting a bit impatient huh ?? :lol:

Frank...

Is it cheaper to pre-order? And, are all of you getting full versions instead of the upgrade version?

I ordered 1 Home Premium and 1 Pro for $50 & $99 each and they are both upgrades. I'm pretty sure they can be 'clean installed' like Vista was.

Check out the family packs they have on sale. About $150 for 3 licenses of Home Premium (upgrade version). That's really not a bad deal MS wise.

No idea at all Bruce - all I know is I was given a nice shiny pair of Ultimate installation DVDs (one 32 bit and one 64 bit) and one key for activation so it's one or the other but not both

Cheaper? Well I got mine free :lol:

Oh and they assured us it was the FULL installation and not time-bombed

Edited by gi7omy

I ordered 1 Home Premium and 1 Pro for $50 & $99 each and they are both upgrades. I'm pretty sure they can be 'clean installed' like Vista was.

Check out the family packs they have on sale. About $150 for 3 licenses of Home Premium (upgrade version). That's really not a bad deal MS wise.

Thanks, Paul. How did you preorder from Newegg? I see nothing there except freen upgrade, if you buy Vista, and that won't happen. :)

Thanks, Paul. How did you preorder from Newegg? I see nothing there except freen upgrade, if you buy Vista, and that won't happen. :)

Too late to pre-order at those prices. :angry2: The deadline was sometime in July I believe but you might find some that are offering free shipping. Everyone had the same prices....Amazon, newegg, etc. and the upgrades include both x86 and x64 versions.

My understanding of the "upgrade process" from Winxp to Win7 is you copy your personal files, wipe the HD, install Win7, and then re-add your personal files - so I'd say a clean install is more a requirement than not.

Win7 comes minus a few things that were previously standard, such as an email program - it is possible to download them for free, but it has to do with lawsuits from would-be competitors. I think that may stun a few upgraders.

Lynn

My understanding of the "upgrade process" from Winxp to Win7 is you copy your personal files, wipe the HD, install Win7, and then re-add your personal files - so I'd say a clean install is more a requirement than not.

Win7 comes minus a few things that were previously standard, such as an email program - it is possible to download them for free, but it has to do with lawsuits from would-be competitors. I think that may stun a few upgraders.

Lynn

I haven't done anything but Format C:/ (clean installs) since Windows 95. No future in leaving "gremlins" in the registry.