• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

No audio with VHS video capture

Benjammin911

Question

I am trying to burn some VHS tapes to DVD but can't seem to get the audio to work. I tried non - copy protected commercial VHS tapes played in a fairly new VCR deck connected to my laptop with the USB capture device that was included with Creator 2009, no success. I then tried my own VHS tapes recorded with a palmcorder, again connected with the Roxio USB capture device.

In all instance, the video is captured without any problems, but there doesn't appear to be any sound recorded with the video file. Windows recognized the USB capture device and shows it to be working properly. I am in the process of seeing if there is an update for the drivers, but the ones provided with the software are less than 2 years old (windows determined that the drivers are up to date, now I really feel good :( ). I have also installed the Service Pack 4 for the software.

I have also tried playing back the sound file by itself that is associated with the video file, but nothing. I also checked to make sure I didn't have the sound muted, either in a windows setting or in the Creator software.

If anyone has any ideas they could offer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ben

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

System Manufacturer Sony Corporation

System Model VGN-AR630E

System Type X86-based PC

Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD R1050J8, 7/18/2007 SMBIOS Version 2.4

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB

Available Physical Memory 1.00 GB

Total Virtual Memory 4.23 GB

Available Virtual Memory 2.84 GB

Page File Space 2.29 GB

12 answers to this question

Yeow...

When I read your reply, I KNEW that had to be it. When I checked the control panel, under RECORDING it says the USB 2861 device is working properly, it has a green check mark next to it. I don't know...

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

I’m missing something???

Yes the 2861 Device needs to have the green check mark, but more importantly, so does your Audio Device.

Is that what you have?

I’m missing something???

Yes the 2861 Device needs to have the green check mark, but more importantly, so does your Audio Device.

Is that what you have?

Alrighty then... something is not right, my audio device does not show up in the recording window... (the bulb above my head dimly flickers : )

I only show the USB 2861 Device, and the microphone in the /control panel/sounds/recording window, both working.

The System Device Manager/sound video and game controller/ shows the Realtek High Def Audio, SigmaTel High Def Audio CODEC, USB 2861 and Capture devices, all working.

I can't find a way to add another recording device, or to record from the sound card (integrated audio) ... :blink: But I'm starting to feel really good about this, I just know you are going to reveal something that is going to make me go "D'oh!" :lol:

Alrighty then... something is not right, my audio device does not show up in the recording window... (the bulb above my head dimly flickers : )

I only show the USB 2861 Device, and the microphone in the /control panel/sounds/recording window, both working.

The System Device Manager/sound video and game controller/ shows the Realtek High Def Audio, SigmaTel High Def Audio CODEC, USB 2861 and Capture devices, all working.

I can't find a way to add another recording device, or to record from the sound card (integrated audio) ... :blink: But I'm starting to feel really good about this, I just know you are going to reveal something that is going to make me go "D'oh!" :lol:

Well, let me jump in here. Can you play audio CDs or other sound files (.MP3, etc.) and hear them on your PC? During the actual video capture, the actual audio should be captured by the Roxio 2861 device, so the question is about the playback, I think. So, let us know if you can play any other files and hear audio from your sound card.

Alternatively, I recently did some video capture, and was having trouble. My memory is failing me at the moment but I think I wasn't capturing any audio either. I wound up reinstalling my version of Creator (I'm running 2010) and that solved my problem.

Edited by d_deweywright

Another thing is that you say Device Manager shows both the Realtek and Sigma Tel.

Those are seperate audio devices and I don't think you should be showing both at the same time.

They are both motherboard chipsets and I've never seen a motherboard with 2 different sound chipsets.

Try uninstalling both from the Device Manager and then rebooting the machine.

At that point it should detect which one is really working.

Once it reinstalls the one that's really there then check in Control Panel again.

If you show mic then the OS (Vista) is seeing at least a portion of some sound device.

If you still don't see other things then I'd definitely see about finding the latest driver for that device.

I’m missing something???

Is that what you have?

In Vista 32 SP1 using Roxio Creator 2010 and the Roxio USB Capture Device.

Under the sound recording tab without the Roxio USB Capture Device plugged in I show my sound card Creative "What U Hear" with the green check mark. Because that is the last thing I recorded from.

When I plugin the Roxio USB Capture Device the only green check mark I get is the Roxio 2861 USB Device Working...

What I would like Benjammin911 to double check is in Device manager, Right click on Roxio Video Capture USB, click properties, click the driver tab. Do the same for USB 2861 Device, read them carefully now, do yours have the same information as the two pics I posted below?

post-97-1256305712.jpg

post-97-1256305722.jpg

post-97-1256306118.jpg

post-97-1256306135.jpg

post-97-1256306144.jpg

Terry, is this what Benjammin911 could be seeing?

post-97-1256307226.png

cd

Edited by cdanteek

Well, let me jump in here. Can you play audio CDs or other sound files (.MP3, etc.) and hear them on your PC? During the actual video capture, the actual audio should be captured by the Roxio 2861 device, so the question is about the playback, I think. So, let us know if you can play any other files and hear audio from your sound card.

Alternatively, I recently did some video capture, and was having trouble. My memory is failing me at the moment but I think I wasn't capturing any audio either. I wound up reinstalling my version of Creator (I'm running 2010) and that solved my problem.

Sorry for taking so long to get back;

Yes, all my audio functions work, movie playback (dvd), audio cds, streaming mp3, mp3, pretty much anything I've tried hasn't presented a problem, including games (FPS and flight sim). I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the Roxio software early on.

Ben

Sorry for taking so long to get back;

Yes, all my audio functions work, movie playback (dvd), audio cds, streaming mp3, mp3, pretty much anything I've tried hasn't presented a problem, including games (FPS and flight sim). I also uninstalled and then reinstalled the Roxio software early on.

Ben

Read post # 8 and answer the questions please...

cd

Another thing is that you say Device Manager shows both the Realtek and Sigma Tel.

Those are seperate audio devices and I don't think you should be showing both at the same time.

They are both motherboard chipsets and I've never seen a motherboard with 2 different sound chipsets.

Try uninstalling both from the Device Manager and then rebooting the machine.

At that point it should detect which one is really working.

Once it reinstalls the one that's really there then check in Control Panel again.

If you show mic then the OS (Vista) is seeing at least a portion of some sound device.

If you still don't see other things then I'd definitely see about finding the latest driver for that device.

OK...

Tried it with no success, although I am learning more about my computer. Both of them reinstalled when I rebooted. Apparently the Sigmatel is for the speakers and headphones and HDMI output, while the REaltek is for the infra-red wireless audio.

When I checked the control panel/device manager everything was back the way it was. I went ahead and tried the video capture again but nothing has changed. Still no sound.

I got so much technology here I don't know what to do with it <_<

Ben

In Vista 32 SP1 using Roxio Creator 2010 and the Roxio USB Capture Device.

Under the sound recording tab without the Roxio USB Capture Device plugged in I show my sound card Creative "What U Hear" with the green check mark. Because that is the last thing I recorded from.

When I plugin the Roxio USB Capture Device the only green check mark I get is the Roxio 2861 USB Device Working...

What I would like Benjammin911 to double check is in Device manager, Right click on Roxio Video Capture USB, click properties, click the driver tab. Do the same for USB 2861 Device, read them carefully now, do yours have the same information as the two pics I posted below?

(deleted .jpg -- see original post)

Terry, is this what Benjammin911 could be seeing?

post-97-1256307226.png

cd

OK--

Control Panel/sound/recording I have: LINE 2- USB 2861 Device Working (green check mark, only one)

---------------------

checking the device manager per Pt. II of question:

Control Panel/device manager/sound,video, game controller/USB 2861 Device and USB Capture Device (along with realtek/sigmatel mentioned earlier - NOTE It does not indicate Roxio Video Capture USB)

----------------------

The Driver info is as follows:

USB 2861 DEvice

Provider Microsoft

Driver date 6/21/06

Version 6.0.6002.18005

signed Bill Gates

USB Capture Device

Provider eMPIA Technology

Date 3/6/2008

Version 5.8.306.0

Signer microsoft windows hardware compatibility publisher

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

I see there is a more recent driver available, I have fiddled around with this thing so long now, I can't remember if I tried installing an updated driver or not. I think I tried using the device manager driver up date and it said I had the most recent version. (I really do know better than to trust windows...)

Ben

PS ... There are no exclamation points by any of the devices in the device manager.

Read post # 8 and answer the questions please...

cd

Got it. -- done.