• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

AVCHD / Blu-ray workflow and compression

landwaster

Question

Hi all, I'm looking into upgrading to Creator 2010 so that I can create some blu-ray's and AVCHD discs for client screeners. My question is, what is the best workflow in terms of encoding and importing into Creator? I already have programs for compression so it would make the most sense if I could compress separately and then import into Creator. Does it allow for that? If so, what are the H.264 specs for AVCHD? What formats and specs does Creator import for blu-ray? Thanks for any help...

5 answers to this question

Hi all, I'm looking into upgrading to Creator 2010 so that I can create some blu-ray's and AVCHD discs for client screeners. My question is, what is the best workflow in terms of encoding and importing into Creator? I already have programs for compression so it would make the most sense if I could compress separately and then import into Creator. Does it allow for that? If so, what are the H.264 specs for AVCHD? What formats and specs does Creator import for blu-ray? Thanks for any help...

No…

The editor is VideoWave and the disc Authoring program is MyDVD.

Both will accept whatever you throw at them.

If BD is your output, then you can select the Quality you want the output to be. (of course like all video you can never render UP with good results)

I have a post, Here, while aimed at DVD making, it may give you some insights or at least let you ask some specific questions.

If so, what are the H.264 specs for AVCHD? What formats and specs does Creator import for blu-ray?
Do you mean import a Bluray disc? Not sure, but logically it should. C2010 can also now smart render AVCHD, but I haven't tried to verify this. Here are the settings in both apps:

Videowave 2010

AVC better Quality = 800x450@1.95Mbps

AVC good quality = 640x360@1Mbps

AVC smaller size = 480x270@1Mbps

AVCHD 1440x1080i = 1440x1080i, 24fps

AVCHD 1080i = 1920X1080@4.88Mbps 24fps

AVCHD 720p = 1280x720@4.88Mbps 24fps

Bluray AVC EP = 1280x720@6.84Mbps 24fps

Bluray AVC HQ = 1280x720@14.65Mbps 24fps

Bluray AVC LP (NTSC) = 1440x1080@9.77Mbps, interlaced

Bluray AVC SP (NTSC) = 1920X1080@11.72Mbps, interlaced

Bluray EP = 1280x720@15Mbps 24fps

Bluray HQ = 1920x1080@30Mbps 24fps

Bluray LP (NTSC) = 1440X1080@20Mbps, interlaced

Bluray SP (NTSC) = 1920X1080@25Mbps, interlaced

I can only assume those not labelled interlaced are rendered as progressive.

MyDVD 2010 settings (defaults)

AVCHD on DVD

HQ - 1920x1080, progressive, AC3 audio

SP - 1920x1080, interlaced, AC3 audio

LP - 1440x1080, interlaced, AC3 audio

EP - 1280x720, progressive

Bluray Disc

AVC same as AVCHD on DVD

MPEG 2

HQ - 1920x1080, progressive 28Mb/s

SP - 1920x1080, interlaced, 25Mb/s

LP - 1440x1080, interlaced, 20Mb/s

EP - 1280x720, progressive, 15Mb/s

The editor is VideoWave and the disc Authoring program is MyDVD.

I'm a little confused. Does Creator include these programs? On the website it says "Built-in High-Def/Blu-ray Disc™ authoring lets you capture high-def video footage from AVCHD™ or HD camcorders and TiVo® DVRs. Create Blu-ray Discs or even standard DVDs with HD content that can be played on any standard Blu-ray set top box or PLAYSTATION®3 game console."

I already have the videos edited in another program so all I need to do is compress the videos to the correct format and then author an AVCHD and/or blu-ray.

I'm a little confused. Does Creator include these programs? On the website it says "Built-in High-Def/Blu-ray Disc™ authoring lets you capture high-def video footage from AVCHD™ or HD camcorders and TiVo® DVRs. Create Blu-ray Discs or even standard DVDs with HD content that can be played on any standard Blu-ray set top box or PLAYSTATION®3 game console."

I already have the videos edited in another program so all I need to do is compress the videos to the correct format and then author an AVCHD and/or blu-ray.

Of course both are in the Suite, why do you think I mentioned them...

Then MyDVD would be your Authoring tool. It will do both AVCHD and BD as well as DVD. AND you can take the same Project and do all 3 formats! (space permitting)

You set the output quality at the time of burn. Don't think in terms of files and compression or you will confine your creativity.

You may even want to give VW a spin, it does most things that more expensvie editors can do, only faster.

"Built-in High-Def/Blu-ray Disc™ authoring lets you capture high-def video footage from AVCHD™ or HD camcorders and TiVo® DVRs. Create Blu-ray Discs or even standard DVDs with HD content that can be played on any standard Blu-ray set top box or PLAYSTATION®3 game console."
Creator 2010 can create AVCHD on DVD, but not Bluray with the additional plugin.

Creator 2010 Pro comes with the Bluray plugin so it can create and burn a Bluray disc. Pro also comes with additional apps like Sonicfire Pro 5 and SoundSoap.