• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast Video Player Not Showing Editor Under View Tab

bohalloran

Question

I'm using Toast 10.0.3 pro, PM G5 10.5.8 all updates installed.

When I click on the extract button, toast extracts the file and the elgato remote shows up and the mediabrowserfile window opens but the editor portion does not. When I click on the view tab, the "open editor" is dinned.

What is causing this?

When I do the same on my MBP, 10.5.8 with toast 10.0.3 pro, it works as expected.

I'm using the same dvd and same chapter number on both macs.

Please help.

Thanks

ps When I use Toast 9.0.7 on my PM G5, it does show up!! What would cause the editor to not show up on 10.0.3 but show up on 9.0.7? (incidentally, it also does not show up on 10.0.1 or 10.0.2 on my PM G5.

Edited by bohalloran

3 answers to this question

I just did a test with my G5 iMac. What I experience with Toast 10.0.3 when clicking Extract (or when clicking Edit and then clicking Edit again in the Edit window) is that Toast Video Player crashes after failing to read the extracted clip from a DVD. Naturally I have a workaround (you know well by now).

A change that Roxio made between Toast 9 and 10 is that extracted clips from DVDs are now given a .vob extension rather than an .mpg extension when written to the converted items folder. I don't know why they did that. The result, however, is that the video doesn't get read in the Toast Video Player/editor.

What I've done is go to the Converted Items folder and change the extracted video's extension to .mpg. I then drag that .mpg file to the Toast window where I then can click Edit and then click Edit again to launch Toast Video Player for editing. This works every time.

Based on your findings I'm wondering if I've never checked this on my MacBook Pro.

I just did a test with my G5 iMac. What I experience with Toast 10.0.3 when clicking Extract (or when clicking Edit and then clicking Edit again in the Edit window) is that Toast Video Player crashes after failing to read the extracted clip from a DVD. Naturally I have a workaround (you know well by now).

A change that Roxio made between Toast 9 and 10 is that extracted clips from DVDs are now given a .vob extension rather than an .mpg extension when written to the converted items folder. I don't know why they did that. The result, however, is that the video doesn't get read in the Toast Video Player/editor.

What I've done is go to the Converted Items folder and change the extracted video's extension to .mpg. I then drag that .mpg file to the Toast window where I then can click Edit and then click Edit again to launch Toast Video Player for editing. This works every time.

Based on your findings I'm wondering if I've never checked this on my MacBook Pro.

Well, I did as you suggested and it worked perfecftly. I just scrambles my brain as to why such a workaround is necessary.

I wonder if there aren't more quirks between the PM/PB PPC and the intel mac platforms. I have found the save/save as as problematic between the two platforms as well.

I know that PPC is out to pasture and s/w continues to move forward, but it would be nice to be aware if there are technical differences what they are and if they are fixable or not and if not then what are the options.

As always, thanks for your expertise as I know that I would never have been able to find this workaround on my own.

Do you know if Roxio tech support is aware of this?

Thanks,

Do you know if Roxio tech support is aware of this?

Thanks,

Not sure if I've told them or not. I'll contact them again just in case I didn't do it months ago. Maybe you and I should get a contract with Roxio. You find the problems and I find the workarounds.