Creator 2010 and Windows 7

sdemills

Question

I have Creator 2010 installed in Windows 7 and on Music and Audio none of the items tagged with a small arrow arc actually launch. They look like they're going to launch (busy cursor) but nothing happens. All of the ones without this tag launch ok.

Going through the Start Menu to the Audio Editor the same thing happens: busy cursor for a short period then nothing. Nothing starts and no error messages occur.

Checked on the comparison site and Creator 2010 definitely says it supports Audio Edit which is one of the primary reasons I bought it.

Originally I bought Creator 2009 and installed it for Vista but it never worked under Vista.

So upgraded to Windows 2010 and bought the upgrade to Roxio Creator 2010 and am disappointed to find that although unlike 2009 it shows no errors, it is still not working.

Any suggestions?

Kind Regards

Steve

11 answers to this question

Ran the repair as advised, rebooted as it requested - just the same : Audio Editor does not start and no error messages.

I see two other unusual things on my system that may or may not be related...

[a] Some programs, including when starting the "repair" of Creator 2010, produce an error dialog saying that the Visual C++ library was started in an unusual way. After dismissing the dialog the process seems to continue ok.

One program (Dell Support program) fails saying it needs .NET 4.<something> and yet looking on the MS site it would appear that .NET 4 is still beta and not generally available. I have .NET 3.5 installed.

Kind Regards

Steve

Done it. But just the same.

When the Installation or the Repair starts then I get a dialog that says...

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library

Runtime Error!

R6034

An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

And then the job starts.

This is not the only program to bring up messages about the C++ runtime library.

Done it. But just the same.

When the Installation or the Repair starts then I get a dialog that says...

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime library

Runtime Error!

R6034

An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

And then the job starts.

This is not the only program to bring up messages about the C++ runtime library.

If you are getting this error with other programs, perhaps this discussion will help.

I read that article which points to having multiple copies of MSVCR80.DLL. I checked and there were multiple copies - most but not all identical - so I renamed all of the ones not beneath the WINDOWS directory. However it made no difference.

I don't have programs other than Roxio that report this particular error.

I do have one other program - MindManager8 - where there is a different Visual C++ error: the VC++ runtime reports that MM8 requested to be terminated in an unusual way.

I did also have the Beta of Visual Studio 2010 installed but, since I haven't started using it yet, I've uninstalled it in case that is causing any of these VC++ problems.

What MS says about the Roxio error is that this is typically caused by a program that fails to use a Manifest when launching the VC++ runtime.

However remember that error was only reported as the Install/Repair ran up and other reports on the web tend to indicate that this error doesn't actually prevent the program from running.

So the key issue is Why does Roxio fail to launch the Audio Editor (and some of the other modules) when there is no error shown. What happens is that the cursor goes busy for a few seconds and then returns to normal. Nothing launches and no error messages appear..

Do you want to try the Clean Install — Vista??? (they don’t have one specifically for Win7 so use this and remain, flexible <_< )

I would also go the extra step when you reach the install part and create a new user account, with full privileges. Then install under that account.

Just for FYI, 2010 was tested in Win7 Beta and I do not recall anyone having this issue like this… I assume you have the C++ runtime installed on your PC?

Yes I do have the VC++ runtime installed.

I notice if I choose the Video Editor module instead of the Audio Editor module then I get an error saying "No permissions to launch application". If I use the Applications sub-folder of Roxio 2010 to launch Video Wave directly then I get that same error. If from the Applications sub-folder I try to launch Sound Editor then nothing at all happens.

I've seen the Vista clean install procedure so I'll give that a try and report back again.

I installed in an account with Full Admin rights (primary user account) and that's the one I'm running from too. I also set Roxio Central to "run as Administrator".

In Vista I used to have the security disabled such that it did not do the checks as to whether you needed to run as Admin but I've not yet sussed where to do that in Windows 7 - when I crack that if it makes any difference then I'll report back.

Thanks for your help,

Kind Regards

Steve