• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Easy VHS to DVD and Windows 7

Ray D

Question

I've just bought Easy VHS to DVD as I was told it worked OK on Windows 7 - which it does, but not without problems.

I've got Windows 7 64 bit version.

EVD installed OK but did take a long time.

I have used it and converted a tape to DVD, but when I reboot the computer I get an Installshield error 'Error #-5'

Google tells me this is a Roxio installshield error.

I tried to install the SP2 pack but when I click on the exe file it tells me it can't find a Roxio product. Clicking on Upgrade in the Help menu just leaves the window doing nothing.

How do I get rid of the Installshield error and how do I get the update to work? It may be because on 64 bit Windows East VHS to DVD is installed in 'Program Files x86' and the updater can't find it.

What is Error #-5 and how do I get rid of it? I gather it was a problem on Vista, but I don't know the workaround.

It may mean I have to reinstall Windows 7 and ditch Roxio - which would be a shame as it does otherwise work.

Any help appreciated.

Ray

15 answers to this question

Many of the Regulars here tested V2D with Win7 and no one ever had a problem...

I Googled that message and got nothing that mentioned Roxio???

But check this, open the V2D, click on Help – About.

Does it show SP2 in the version number?

If the program works in all respects, then at best this is an annoyance that affects nothing…

I would uninstall it and run for a day or two. Then install it again.

If you just bought Easy VHS to DVD SP2 probably came in your download version...

cd

I bought the boxed version and there is no mention of SP2 in the Help screen.

The Roxio Windows 7 page says there are Win & versions of several programmes - including V2D and points to an update page. Unfortunately, theer is no mention of Easy VHS to DVD on that page.

Does anyone know for sure there is a Windows 7 version, and where it is?

Also, google shows many pages with the Error #-5 and they are all attributable to Roxio installations, although to the Installshield they use rather than the Roxio programme itself.

It's all a great shame as I rather liked the program but, if I can't find a Windows 7 version, or update I am going to have to dump it and use the USB interface with Corel or Serif Moviemakers.

I've got to reinstall Windows 7 after all the messing around with V2D and \installshield and I can't afford to compromise my computer setup for the sake of one rogue program.

Cheers,

Ray D

I'm sorry Jim, but I AM listening. If you go to this Roxio page

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000075GN

It tells you about a Windows 7 compatible UPDATED version of Easy VHS to DVD which can be downloaded from here

http://www.roxio.com/enu/upgrade_center/default.html

BUT - it isn't listed there, despite what the previous page says,although several other program updates are.

I HAVE downloaded the SP2 update, but it says it can't find a version of V2D to update, although it is installed on the computer.

My thought is that the SP2 update perhaps can't find it on a 64 bit Windows system because the program is in 'Program Files x86' and not Program Files' as in 32 bit. It also doesn't list Windows 7 compatibility as one of it's fixes.

My question is "where is the Windows 7 compatible UPDATED version of Easy VHS to DVD which the Roxio Windows 7 support page says is there - but isn't 2when you click on the link?"

I'm not sure that an update patch will work as it may not be able to find the installed version, as SP2 can't.

Cheers,

Ray D

I'm sorry Jim, but I AM listening. If you go to this Roxio page

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000075GN

It tells you about a Windows 7 compatible UPDATED version of Easy VHS to DVD which can be downloaded from here

http://www.roxio.com/enu/upgrade_center/default.html

BUT - it isn't listed there, despite what the previous page says,although several other program updates are.

I HAVE downloaded the SP2 update, but it says it can't find a version of V2D to update, although it is installed on the computer.

My thought is that the SP2 update perhaps can't find it on a 64 bit Windows system because the program is in 'Program Files x86' and not Program Files' as in 32 bit. It also doesn't list Windows 7 compatibility as one of it's fixes.

My question is "where is the Windows 7 compatible UPDATED version of Easy VHS to DVD which the Roxio Windows 7 support page says is there - but isn't 2when you click on the link?"

I'm not sure that an update patch will work as it may not be able to find the installed version, as SP2 can't.

Cheers,

Ray D

Here you go.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/easy-vhs...k=m_pro_easyvhs

Open your VHS to DVD, click on Help/About, and list what it says, for a version number, here.

Well Ray I must retract that with apologies! You are doing some legwork indeed!

OK, the ONLY update for V2D is SP2. I gave you the link in your last post.

If it “Can’t find the Product” then either it came with SP2 or it did not install properly.

However, you state that everything is working, other than an error message when you reboot.

That is an annoyance but you are making it out to be world crisis, when it is not… (and this device is not guaranteed to work with any other product at all)

Facts are, nobody has had this problem throughout all of the testing. So that leaves us with your install or something in Win7 that everyone in the world missed during all of the months of testing. (actually that can happen)

I doubt anyone from Roxio will be in till Monday, so lets’ wait and see. But I also know that a minor error message like this will not receive high priority. All the Don’t Work problems are going to come first…

I have spent 2 days trying to get Roxio VHS to DVD working - don't know where the 'easy' part is. The capture button is greyed out ...... Has anyone else been through the same thing and found a resolution

I have problems with Easy VHS to DVD on Windows 7 64 bit but did manage to at least get it to record video and audio, although the other problems with an error message and not being able to update exist.

When I first played a video, although I could see it playing in the preview screen, the Capture button was greyed out. The source was set to the black SVideo connector (which I was using). I selected Video instead, changed the input from the video player to the yellow connector and the capture button became live.

Don't ask me why but, although it shows a preview from the SVideo connector, it won't capture. It will only capture from the yellow connector here.

Try it.

Cheers,

Ray D

Facts are, nobody has had this problem throughout all of the testing. So that leaves us with your install or something in Win7 that everyone in the world missed during all of the months of testing. (actually that can happen)

I doubt anyone from Roxio will be in till Monday, so lets’ wait and see. But I also know that a minor error message like this will not receive high priority. All the Don’t Work problems are going to come first…

I've just had a definitive reply from Roxio support and they say, in capital letters,

EASY VHS TO DVD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH WIN 7

so, that's it then - another wasted purchase and a waste of time trying to get it to work.

Ray D

I've just had a definitive reply from Roxio support and they say, in capital letters,

so, that's it then - another wasted purchase and a waste of time trying to get it to work.

Ray D

Did you ever just get tired of being wrong???

post-39730-1256752778.jpg

I have to say that it was the unhelpful and derogatory responses on this forum - particularly from one individual - which made me decide NOT to persevere with Easy VHS to DVD and to NEVER go near a Roxio product again.

Ray D

Ray D

You're RIGHT about that, Ray. It seems the Roxio people must have confused themselves again.

Here's the entry in http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000075GN as it stands today.

post-208-1257207127.jpg

Easy VHS to DVD is definitely NOT on the list now, although it was earlier.

It will be interesting to find out how one gets copies of the updated software mentioned. I see that Easy CD and DVD Burning [Red Box] has an update, as does Easy DVD Copy 4.

Confusinger and confusinger!

Brendon

You're RIGHT about that, Ray. It seems the Roxio people must have confused themselves again.

Easy VHS to DVD is definitely NOT on the list now, although it was earlier.

It will be interesting to find out how one gets copies of the updated software mentioned. I see that Easy CD and DVD Burning [Red Box] has an update, as does Easy DVD Copy 4.

Confusinger and confusinger!

Confusing indeed. No idea what that Roxio support rep was on about:

DSC00121.JPG

It seems you can't get an updated version of the 'Easy VHS To DVD' software either. Why? I dunno. They've obviously updated the software somewhat based on what i've seen on this forum.

{edit}

Well, it appears that this does NOT WORK for Windows 7. Can we expect an update this century? Is there an alternative for this hardware software combo? I'm really disappointed in Roxio...

I'm not going to go through some convoluted hack to get this thing running, it's Roxio's responsibility.

(original post)

So what's the deal... some people claim this works on 7, with screen shots, and others claim that it does not. Are there no legit reps on this forum? The comment that an error message on reboot is not a "world crisis" is silly. Error messages should be repairable, and to imply that a user should just get over it is nonsense.

I purchased a new DELL computer simply to run this crappy capture program, and it's still not working with a top of the line XPS workstation with Win7.

I am unable to use Roxio VHS to DVD using Win7. The USB capture device is not detected (only briefly detected when plugged directly into USB port, to inform me that the device is not plugged in?). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software with the device plugged directly into my USB port during installation, and all firewalls turned off. The update pack on the Roxio site does not apply to windows 7 as far as I am aware (my computer errors out when trying to install the updated/service pack and drivers for VHS to DVD.

Edited by iburkard

{edit}

Well, it appears that this does NOT WORK for Windows 7. Can we expect an update this century? Is there an alternative for this hardware software combo? I'm really disappointed in Roxio...

I'm not going to go through some convoluted hack to get this thing running, it's Roxio's responsibility.

(original post)

So what's the deal... some people claim this works on 7, with screen shots, and others claim that it does not. Are there no legit reps on this forum? The comment that an error message on reboot is not a "world crisis" is silly. Error messages should be repairable, and to imply that a user should just get over it is nonsense.

I purchased a new DELL computer simply to run this crappy capture program, and it's still not working with a top of the line XPS workstation with Win7.

I am unable to use Roxio VHS to DVD using Win7. The USB capture device is not detected (only briefly detected when plugged directly into USB port, to inform me that the device is not plugged in?). I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software with the device plugged directly into my USB port during installation, and all firewalls turned off. The update pack on the Roxio site does not apply to windows 7 as far as I am aware (my computer errors out when trying to install the updated/service pack and drivers for VHS to DVD.

Did you even read the pinned post at the top about this???

BioBiro is located in the UK and purchased a copy of V2D from Denmark or some other site on the Continent… Even then he could not make it work and returned it for Pinnacle and couldn't make that work either – meets the description of having a bad day :lol: But it would appear that they do have a Win7 version in Europe.

It is not available in the US and as it stands now, No Win7 Certified version of V2D exists in the US!

I think it would be prudent to do so but they don't make it a habit to ask me ;)

Try what I suggested in that post. Also remember that V2D is not compatible with Creator 2009!

Keep in mind that Win7 is not a mandatory upgrade so if you elect to do it, you do so knowing full well that some of your software may not work… (3 in may case :( )

This thread has run its' course, so post back by starting a new Topic on how you make out.