Missing Audio

Kenny Mike

Question

7 answers to this question

The turntable is jacked into the line in and the audio is being captured... I can listen to it AFTER I stop the recording. I can't hear it during the recording process though!?! I'm using Roxio 2009 on a Dell Vista laptop with speakers plugged into a USB.

See if this helps:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=52951

post-68-1256417311.png

What application within the suite are you using? If you are hooked up to the line in, why have your speakers plugged into a USB.

Edited by ogdens

Thank you for your reply... I referenced the graphic you sent via the help tool prior to posting.

I'm using the Digitize LPs and Tapes app... my turntable is jacked into a preamp with no speakers connected... the preamp is jacked into the line in... my cheap laptop add-on speakers are hooked into a USB port because that's what they have as a connection device.

After the wave file is created I can listen to the new .wav file just fine... I've double checked all the speakers and they are enabled as per the link you sent... I actually referenced that post also prior to my post... I'm baffeled... this setup used to work on my desktop with a older version of Roxio. Sorry about posting in the wrong community... just in too much of a hurry I guess... my bad.

Thank you for your reply... I referenced the graphic you sent via the help tool prior to posting.

I'm using the Digitize LPs and Tapes app... my turntable is jacked into a preamp with no speakers connected... the preamp is jacked into the line in... my cheap laptop add-on speakers are hooked into a USB port because that's what they have as a connection device.

After the wave file is created I can listen to the new .wav file just fine... I've double checked all the speakers and they are enabled as per the link you sent... I actually referenced that post also prior to my post... I'm baffeled... this setup used to work on my desktop with a older version of Roxio. Sorry about posting in the wrong community... just in too much of a hurry I guess... my bad.

Lets clear up a couple of things first.

Laptops don't have Line in jacks, only Mic in.

You say you are " Sorry about posting in the wrong community"...what do you mean?, you are in the Creator 2009 forum (is this what you have), were do you think you should be?.

Just to clarify... you can copy your LP ok, but you just can't hear it while you are recording, right.

Lets clear up a couple of things first.

Laptops don't have Line in jacks, only Mic in.

You say you are " Sorry about posting in the wrong community"...what do you mean?, you are in the Creator 2009 forum (is this what you have), were do you think you should be?.

Just to clarify... you can copy your LP ok, but you just can't hear it while you are recording, right.

When I go under Control Panel - Sound - Recording... I see Microphone / Line In... you say tomato, I say tomato... as the LP spins I'm watching these sound bars pulse... sound is going into the laptop.

Someone sent me a PM that they moved my post... guess I posted in 2010 first... my bad again... unnecessary verbiage... I'm running 2009 SE.

Yes... I can copy my LP but I can't hear it while it is recording...

Am I getting any better at explaining myself? :rolleyes:

When I go under Control Panel - Sound - Recording... I see Microphone / Line In... you say tomato, I say tomato... as the LP spins I'm watching these sound bars pulse... sound is going into the laptop.

Someone sent me a PM that they moved my post... guess I posted in 2010 first... my bad again... unnecessary verbiage... I'm running 2009 SE.

Yes... I can copy my LP but I can't hear it while it is recording...

Am I getting any better at explaining myself? :rolleyes:

That is just the way some audio chips work on laptops. There is nothing you can do to get audio you can hear while capturing. What options do you have in your OS for playing audio on that laptop?

Edited by sknis

I experienced a problem today in Sound Editor on Vista: I could not hear the playback from the file in the editor (after being successfully recorded from LP). The same WMA plays fine in iTunes and presumably other apps. After about an hour of tearing my hair out, with Sound Editor open, I clicked on the Speaker icon in the far lower right corner of the screen (on the Task Bar). Clicked on Mixer. There was an icon for Sound Editor under Applications. I noticed the mute button (speaker icon) was set for Sound Editor (and not the other apps). I don't know how it got that way, but I reset the Mute button and the problem is resolved.

I experienced a problem today in Sound Editor on Vista: I could not hear the playback from the file in the editor (after being successfully recorded from LP). The same WMA plays fine in iTunes and presumably other apps. After about an hour of tearing my hair out, with Sound Editor open, I clicked on the Speaker icon in the far lower right corner of the screen (on the Task Bar). Clicked on Mixer. There was an icon for Sound Editor under Applications. I noticed the mute button (speaker icon) was set for Sound Editor (and not the other apps). I don't know how it got that way, but I reset the Mute button and the problem is resolved.

Thanks for the suggestion Stan... just checked and all of mine are on... I'll accept what one of the "gurus" said... that sometime laptop sound cards work that way... now I have a new problem... new post on the way.