• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

How To Estimate Compression

korsjs

Question

I have been using Roxio creator 10 for less than a week, so I do not know if I am missing this.

I have a stand alone dvd player that is hooked up to the DVR for archival purposes. I use Dual Layer Discs to move stuff from the DVR to the computer. After the disc is finalized, I rip to the computer using Roxio and comes out as a Video TS folder about 7.5 gigs.

This is what I am missing. I don't mind some compression, but I don't see anywhere were it says how much compression will be used. For example, I was previously using nero 08. When I dragged 6 out of 8 episodes over is would say something like 70% out of 100% and if I removed one episode it would go up to around 90%. I could then burn onto a single layer dvd-r with just a little bit of compression.

Am I missing where the compression used is or does Roxio not have it?

1 answer to this question

I have been using Roxio creator 10 for less than a week, so I do not know if I am missing this.

I have a stand alone dvd player that is hooked up to the DVR for archival purposes. I use Dual Layer Discs to move stuff from the DVR to the computer. After the disc is finalized, I rip to the computer using Roxio and comes out as a Video TS folder about 7.5 gigs.

This is what I am missing. I don't mind some compression, but I don't see anywhere were it says how much compression will be used. For example, I was previously using nero 08. When I dragged 6 out of 8 episodes over is would say something like 70% out of 100% and if I removed one episode it would go up to around 90%. I could then burn onto a single layer dvd-r with just a little bit of compression.

Am I missing where the compression used is or does Roxio not have it?

Roxio does not have a "compression" setting but a quality setting. A standard 4.7GB DVD will hold 60 minutes of video at Best Quality. To get more video on the DVD you have to select one of the other setting; of course the more video you squeeze on a DVD the poorer will be the quality. You are going to have to be the judge on what quality is acceptable to you.

BTW, the program is called Roxio Creator 2010 not Roxio Creator 10. To avoid with a 2 year old Easy Media Creator 10, please use the full, correct name.