• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
macfilm

AVCHD archive error

Question

17 answers to this question

Hi PLEASE anyone from Roxio, does anybody have any help on resolving this issue. It is the only reason I bought Toast 10 is to back up my AVCHD camcorder, any help please!

I contacted Roxio support about this error back in July with no result. This is the error I saw after Toast 10 got to the 98th clip. Despite estimating that 4 DVDs would be needed to archive some 386 clips Toast stopped at about clip 98. (I wanted to archive a 16GB SDHC card from a Canon HS10 camera). It could be that the BluRay standard will not support more than 99 chapters and/or movies on a disk and Roxio impose the limit on their Archive option also.

I simply selected clips that would fill a DVD and burnt back ups one DVD at a time.

rayb_oz said:
I contacted Roxio support about this error back in July with no result. This is the error I saw after Toast 10 got to the 98th clip. Despite estimating that 4 DVDs would be needed to archive some 386 clips Toast stopped at about clip 98. (I wanted to archive a 16GB SDHC card from a Canon HS10 camera). It could be that the BluRay standard will not support more than 99 chapters and/or movies on a disk and Roxio impose the limit on their Archive option also.

I simply selected clips that would fill a DVD and burnt back ups one DVD at a time.

edit

Edited by macfilm

I have been trying to do this too, with no luck. I copied files from "STREAM" folder on card to the desktop, but it would not archive as AVCHD.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

5:10 PM I returned to see if anyone replied, and found my note in another thread. This is in reference to archiving AVCHD files from 16 gig card.

Edited by Frank42

I have updated my help ticket twice, and get referred to knowledgebase (which as very general suggestions about burning), but no direct answer.

I have tried various tactics to reduce file, but always have problem with 16 gig cards.

Has anyone else gotten any information on this archive problem?

The latest suggestion from the Roxio support staff was to use Double layer DVDs, so only 2 would be needed to archive from 16 gig card.

Again the message was "only 98 movies or slideshows can be recorded, reduce number"

There is something in the software stopping this.

I bought the Canon DVD writer, and it does the job well. Although the Canon instructions caution that some DVD players cannot recognize the archives, the AVCHD archive discs from the Canon can be read in the IMac as well as a LaCie burner I have. They can be taken right into IMovie same as when a camera is plugged in.

Although cost of the Canon burner is a bit high, it just WORKS, and my time is worth something.

The latest suggestion from the Roxio support staff was to use Double layer DVDs, so only 2 would be needed to archive from 16 gig card.

Again the message was "only 98 movies or slideshows can be recorded, reduce number"

There is something in the software stopping this.

I bought the Canon DVD writer, and it does the job well. Although the Canon instructions caution that some DVD players cannot recognize the archives, the AVCHD archive discs from the Canon can be read in the IMac as well as a LaCie burner I have. They can be taken right into IMovie same as when a camera is plugged in.

Although cost of the Canon burner is a bit high, it just WORKS, and my time is worth something.

I am inexperienced with doing AVCHD archives. However, you mention the 98 movies limit. That's part of the video DVD spec and I don't understand why it would be an issue with an archive. Are you sure you are choosing AVCHD Archive as the format in the Video window? You also mention playing the archives. That isn't what that function is for. It is for creating a backup archive of the source video so it can be imported back to the computer if necessary. If you want something that plays, are you going to play it with a standard video DVD player, a Blu-ray player or a computer?

I am inexperienced with doing AVCHD archives. However, you mention the 98 movies limit. That's part of the video DVD spec and I don't understand why it would be an issue with an archive. Are you sure you are choosing AVCHD Archive as the format in the Video window? You also mention playing the archives. That isn't what that function is for. It is for creating a backup archive of the source video so it can be imported back to the computer if necessary. If you want something that plays, are you going to play it with a standard video DVD player, a Blu-ray player or a computer?

As stated in an earlier post, I have been trying to use the Archive AVCHD option in Toast 10 with no luck. I am not trying to create a "playable" disc but to simply have a copy of all files recorded by my Canon video recorder. I have both 16GB and 32 GB cards (and the camera has 32GB built in). Toast 10 tells me (correctly) that 4 DVDs will be needed for the 16GB card, it proceeds then halts at the 98th clip (.mts file), on my 16GB card there are 494 .mts files. The 98 or 99 limit should not apply in the archive option, but it does. It would appear that the software is faulty but getting a reply from Roxio, other than to refer to the manual, does not work either. What I (and a few others) are trying to do is to have a copy of the original files before we clear the memory card(s). An .mts file is created each time the video camera is started and then stopped i.e. a clip.

For what it is worth the clips from the Canon import fine into Final Cut Express 4 as well as iMovie. With 400 plus clips nothing seems to be happening but after two or three minutes all clips are in the Log window, transfer to the browser is optional and take "real time" to happen i.e. a 10 second clip takes at least 10 seconds to convert.

As stated in an earlier post, I have been trying to use the Archive AVCHD option in Toast 10 with no luck. I am not trying to create a "playable" disc but to simply have a copy of all files recorded by my Canon video recorder. I have both 16GB and 32 GB cards (and the camera has 32GB built in). Toast 10 tells me (correctly) that 4 DVDs will be needed for the 16GB card, it proceeds then halts at the 98th clip (.mts file), on my 16GB card there are 494 .mts files. The 98 or 99 limit should not apply in the archive option, but it does. It would appear that the software is faulty but getting a reply from Roxio, other than to refer to the manual, does not work either. What I (and a few others) are trying to do is to have a copy of the original files before we clear the memory card(s). An .mts file is created each time the video camera is started and then stopped i.e. a clip.

For what it is worth the clips from the Canon import fine into Final Cut Express 4 as well as iMovie. With 400 plus clips nothing seems to be happening but after two or three minutes all clips are in the Log window, transfer to the browser is optional and take "real time" to happen i.e. a 10 second clip takes at least 10 seconds to convert.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm sorry that I can't be of any help with this. I don't know why there is a 98 clip limit for the archive. It's the first I've heard of it.

I continue to get interesting but not helpful answers from Roxio. When I copied the 16 gig card to the hard disk (most recent suggestion), and then try to make an archive, Toast will not recognize it as a "camcorder". Therefore Toast will not make an AVCHD Archive. It will only record under one of the other DVD options, which then is not suitable to download into IMovie.

I have about given up, and will use my Canon DW-100 to write my AVCHD Archives, which then can be directly used for IMovie. (Canon cautions about using archive discs in other players, but mine work in the IMac as well as a LaCie Litescribe which is several years old). Perhaps Canon was cautioning about use in DVD players, not computers.

I continue to get interesting but not helpful answers from Roxio. When I copied the 16 gig card to the hard disk (most recent suggestion), and then try to make an archive, Toast will not recognize it as a "camcorder". Therefore Toast will not make an AVCHD Archive. It will only record under one of the other DVD options, which then is not suitable to download into IMovie.

I have about given up, and will use my Canon DW-100 to write my AVCHD Archives, which then can be directly used for IMovie. (Canon cautions about using archive discs in other players, but mine work in the IMac as well as a LaCie Litescribe which is several years old). Perhaps Canon was cautioning about use in DVD players, not computers.

In this post the user found a solution to burning AVCHD discs in Toast by lowering the bit rate of the recording. The user wonders if this might resolve archive issues as well. If you feel motivated maybe you can test this out.

Thanks. I am not sure where he is setting the bit rate. ?In the camcorder? I can't find a way to set it in Toast. My problem only occurs with the 16 gig card, as the 8 gig cards recorded at the same settings work fine in the AVCHD Archive mode.

My latest response from Roxio "help" was that Toast is not an editing program. They don't seem to read the help tickets.

OK… So here is my take on this issue.

I have a SONY HDR SR12 and a MacBook Pro. I also have a Windows XP SP3 partition on the MacBook.

Everything to do with importing video and archiving the AVCHD works in the Windows partition.

I bought Toast 10 Titanium, and as so many of you have, I had no success with the AVCHD archive. I received a message " error code=-50"

[Can't get adding picture to work]

Again, as so may of you have, I was getting no support from Roxio technical support. In fact I think if the replies are not computer generated then somebody is "having a laugh."

When I tried to archive with iMovie it also failed with a code of -48, but at least it gave me a file name.

[Can't get adding picture to work] The message is that it stopped at /Volumes/No Name/AVCHD/BDMV/PLAYLIST/.DS_Store

So I researched the file .DS_Store and experimented. If you're not aware its a metadata "cookie" for Mac Finder window settings. It gets written to the folder everytime the folder is viewed through Finder.

I removed every occurence of the file .DS_Store from the camera. I could not see this file via the Mac finder, so I did this work in the Windows partition. There are some utilities for the Mac that will allow the hidden files to viewed in Finder, but maybe not a good idea as it might be rewritten when you view the folder.

Having removed all the .DS_Store files I then tried to archive using Toast and at least it started to archive. I will run a full archive later, because doing the archive on 26GB of data using the Sony supplied software took about 4 hours!!!!.

I then retried iMovie, and the archive worked perfectly (to an external drive - Roxio take note).

So although it's a bit of a work around, this has for me worked well.

The moral of this story is never view the contents of the camcorder via Finder unless you want to try this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1629.

Now all I have to do is get both Apple and Roxio to do something about the software.

Hope this helps

Garry

Edited by GarryG

The moral of this story is never view the contents of the camcorder via Finder unless you want to try this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1629.

Now all I have to do is get both Apple and Roxio to do something about the software.

Hope this helps

Garry

Nice sleuthing. You might also check out the BlueHarvest control panel to assist with this.

One more contribution here regarding AVCHD archiving.

For me, the most significant benefit of AVCHD archiving, vs. backing up as ordinary data (with disc spanning) is the playability. When I archive my AVCHD videos (Canon HF-100), the resulting DVD disc can be seen by iMovie (and FCE/FCP) as a camcorder, and video easily imported/transcoded.

But more importantly, I can take that archive DVD and stick it into my Blu-ray player. It plays back in any standard Blu-ray player, in original, full HD. Since most of my vides are home movies, this has enormous value for me. Each DVD holds between 30 minutes (4.7GB) and 60 minutes (dual-layer, 8.2GB) of HD video and makes it easy to quickly see some of my older stuff. I don't have to import/edit/author HD video every time I fill my memory card. I back up, wipe out and continue, and that backup is fully playable. My video shooting style is very strict (having been trained on 8mm, I edit while shooting, avoiding excessive unnecessary shots), so very few videos need additional editing before they are playable/presentable. AVCHD archiving allows me to have playable raw footage, which I can always edit later.

I had experienced the same error message when trying to span across multiple discs (8GB card across 2 DVDs), so until now, I've been archiving on dual-layer 8.2GB discs. I will try wiping out DS_Store files and reading from built-in card reader and see if it fixes things. Blue Harvest is cheap and will monitor USB devices and prevent creation of DS_Store and _filename.whatever files. FinderCleaner is free and will let you manually clean up (single-click).