How to insert 3 minute "cuts" of one production into another

09RKC

Question

Hello all!

I've searched help and this forum but can't find specific answers. I'll illustrate what I'd like to do:

1 - I have production A and B, both are one hour long. I'd like to take several 3 minute segmants of B and insert them into A in varying places. My goal IS NOT to merge the two together as a whole, thereby making a 2hr production. Rather (example) a 90min production having used 30min of B. The ten 3 minute "cuts" of B would be pasted in various spopts of A.

2 - I would want to cut and delete the 3 minute segment of A where I'd paste the 3 minute segments of B. I want to replace A's segment with B's segment. I'd not need dual video shots of the same in one production. How can this be done?

3 - How would I copy or cut the 3 minute segment of B and move it over to A? (which leades to question 4)

4 - If this is possible, can we open dual instances of Roxio for ease of cut/paste? Can we have Edit-Advanced in two separate windows?

I'm asking alot of Roxio :rolleyes:

Tkx!!

Doug

22 answers to this question

I'll start with Q4 - unfortunately, no you can not have multiple instances of Videowave running at once. You could possibly put footage from A on the main track.

Put footage from B on an overlay track.

Then all you would need to do is cut pieces from B when you want to 'see' A

You can't use 'transitions' between tracks, but there is some limited ability.

Select the overlay, View/Settings.

Click the Tab with the little red ball (motion).

There you can set the overlay to fade in/out, etc.

Thank you. This is turning out to be quite a job, far more than I thought it'd be.

The church had a 90 minute "Talent Show". I was on the floor with my Sony getting various angles. Another guy was upstairs using the professional cameras. They're burned to an outboard DVD reader-writer which produces .vob files. I burned a DVD that evening and took it home to Roxio.

I was finally able to get Roxio to see the .vob files and make an .mpg (and .dmsm), but it's cutting out the 1st 20 minutes. The first 20 minutes of the show simply aren't there. The rest of the 90 minute production is.

I checked the DVD I burned (at church). It's great, full, the original .vob show. I can't figure out why the 20 minutes aren't being induded in the .mpg.

I'll try the overlay deal if I get that out of the way. This may be a project they'll have to keep wishing for :lol:

Tkx again!

If you simply Play the DVD, is the missing 20 minutes on there???

Hey Jim,

Yes, it's there, all's there on the DVD I burned at church. Makes no sense at all.

To make it even more interesting, hte missing 20min (when viewing the .mpg) begins about 15min into the original showing, not from the literal front or back of the Talent Show!

I knew my vision would be a chore but...

Good to hear from you!

Doug

Did you use Media Import? Try just copying the video_ts folder to your hard drive using Windows Explorer. You can then add the VOBs directly to Videowave.

It copies 1 of the 2 .vob files. Interesting. But then why would when I play that DVD, it's all there? I'm going to burn two more DVDs at church and see what happens. I did manage to put one of the Sony .mpg files in OVL1 with the main up front. Pretty sweet! Assuming I can get this other thing resolved that'll help alot. Fact is, without it I'd probably put the project down and they'd be out of luck!

I'll keep you posted, Tkx!!!!

Doug

If you look you will probably find it is DVD— media.

The ‘dash’ media allows fragmented files which does not happen when ‘plus’ media is used.

‘dash’ media can be Finalized in the device that recorded it, and that problem should be eliminated.

The missing 20 minutes was the result of a bad DVD I made Sunday. I made a few more today, all's well. The entire show's there. With this particular job, it seems if there can be an issue, there is.

I'm making the .mpg now of the DVD. The Sony .mpg files are done. I'll be to the point where I'll learn Ovl and its use soon. I'll want to cut out a (example) 3 minute part of one .mpg (I'll call the main) and replace it with a 3 minute slice I make from the slave .mpg. That's my next learning curve.

Finally, the audio differs between the productions (logical). I'll look for a way to use one source's audio for the entire show. We shall see.

I appreciate everyone's help!!

Doug

>>Put footage from B on an overlay track.<<

Done. I've got 5 mpg files taken by the Sony. I aligned the 1st to the DVD mpg well and saved it. Nothing's cut yet, just a good idea to do this as I'll surly make errors. I don't see how to cut a piece from one, and insert it over the other yet.

>>Select the overlay, View/Settings. Click the Tab with the little red ball (motion). There you can set the overlay to fade in/out, etc.<<

I found something that'd solve all if it'll work. Under Settings and the Position Tab there's Transparency. By sliding the marker left/right I go to one from the other and back. Now if there's a way to have Roxio record the results of what I do there... that's the way to go! Is this possible do you know?

Doug

>>Put footage from B on an overlay track.<<

Done. I've got 5 mpg files taken by the Sony. I aligned the 1st to the DVD mpg well and saved it. Nothing's cut yet, just a good idea to do this as I'll surly make errors. I don't see how to cut a piece from one, and insert it over the other yet.

>>Select the overlay, View/Settings. Click the Tab with the little red ball (motion). There you can set the overlay to fade in/out, etc.<<

I found something that'd solve all if it'll work. Under Settings and the Position Tab there's Transparency. By sliding the marker left/right I go to one from the other and back. Now if there's a way to have Roxio record the results of what I do there... that's the way to go! Is this possible do you know?

Doug

You could split the video on the overlay track and then set the transparency for the overlay segment depending whether you want to show the video on the main track on the overlay track. It will take some experimenting to get it to work properly. You can also use the Fade In/Fade Out on the overlay segments when switching from on track to the other.

Edited by myguggi

You could split the video on the overlay track and then set the transparency for the overlay segment depending whether you want to show the video on the main track on the overlay track. It will take some experimenting to get it to work properly. You can also use the Fade In/Fade Out on the overlay segments when switching from on track to the other.

Tkx! I'll keep trying to learn all this, how to cut out a segment and replace it with another. It's (to me) confusing and I have difficulty finding stuff like this in Help. So I guess >>Under Settings and the Position Tab there's Transparency. By sliding the marker left/right I go to one from the other and back. Now if there's a way to have Roxio record the results of what I do there... that's the way to go!<< isn't possible. That'd be too easy :rolleyes:

Doug

Select the overlay track

move the Blue LIne (edit or insert point) to where you want to make a 'cut'

Click the Split Icon

Move blue line again

Make second cut

Select the section in the middle and delete.

You can then select the short overlay clip, View/Settings/Red ball to add fade in/out

I'll add a pic later. Doing something else at the moment. :)

Edited by ggrussell

Tkx! I'll keep trying to learn all this, how to cut out a segment and replace it with another. It's (to me) confusing and I have difficulty finding stuff like this in Help. So I guess >>Under Settings and the Position Tab there's Transparency. By sliding the marker left/right I go to one from the other and back. Now if there's a way to have Roxio record the results of what I do there... that's the way to go!<< isn't possible. That'd be too easy :rolleyes:

Doug

I don't understand what you mean by this? Whan you save your Videowave project as a project file (it has the extension dmsm) all you editing instructions, ect are saved.

You may not need to cut out segments and replace with another if you use the overlay track. None of this more advanced stuff is explained in the Help system or manual. You just have to learn by experimenting and asking questions. The trick is to do some testing with small projects and not have a "its has to be done by yesterday" deadline.

No no, no rush :) . They'll wait as long as I take!

>>Whan you save your Videowave project as a project file (it has the extension dmsm) all you editing instructions, ect are saved<< >>You may not need to cut out segments and replace with another if you use the overlay track<<

Unfortunatley, in the literal sense this doesn't appear to be true. I placed the Sony .mpg as the OL using the other source's .dmsm file as the main. My goal was to (under Settings and the Position Tab), toggle the Transparency button left/right to fade from one to another while it played, then save that dmsm and have it play back exactly as I'd "toggled". It doesn't. Big-shucks! That'd been too easy.

I am trying small segments with Masters of both sources saved. I edited the sound in each to make them more consistent and saved those .dmsm files but I see I can't overlay with a .dmsm, so I've got to use the "lousy" audio from the .mpg. Is there any way to edit the sound within an .mpg, and save it as an .mpg (overwrite) so I can put the file with improved sound in OL?

I'm making good progress (tkx to you!) in learing basic editing. The inconsistent sound is the only real issue now.

Tkx for the reply!!

Doug

Edited by 09RKC

No no, no rush :) . They'll wait as long as I take!

>>Whan you save your Videowave project as a project file (it has the extension dmsm) all you editing instructions, ect are saved<< >>You may not need to cut out segments and replace with another if you use the overlay track<<

Unfortunatley, in the literal sense this doesn't appear to be true. I placed the Sony .mpg as the OL using the other source's .dmsm file as the main. My goal was to (under Settings and the Position Tab), toggle the Transparency button left/right to fade from one to another while it played, then save that dmsm and have it play back exactly as I'd "toggled". It doesn't. Big-shucks! That'd been too easy.

I am trying small segments with Masters of both sources saved. I edited the sound in each to make them more consistent and saved those .dmsm files but I see I can't overlay with a .dmsm, so I've got to use the "lousy" audio from the .mpg. Is there any way to edit the sound within an .mpg, and save it as an .mpg (overwrite) so I can put the file with improved sound in OL?

I'm making good progress (tkx to you!) in learing basic editing. The inconsistent sound is the only real issue now.

Tkx for the reply!!

Doug

Actually it is "easy". Here is a basic method that should get you started

1. Launch Videowave to start a new project

2. Add your main video to the main track

3. Add the overlay video to the overlay track

4. Double click on the overlay track to bring up the Overlay settings window

Select the Position tab and move the transparency slider to the 100% position. This makes the overlay video transparent when you play from the start. You can play around with this to see the effect it has at different % positions.

5. Now move the blue slider to lets say the 10 second position, then select the overlay track and then click on the “split” icon. This will split the overlay video at the 10 sec mark

6. Now double click on the 2nd overlay segment to again bring up the Overlay Settings window. Adjust the transparency of this 2nd segment to 0%

7. Now when you play from the start, the video initially will be from the main track, at the 10 sec mark it will switch over to the video from the overlay track. To make the switchover less sudden, use the Settings/Motion tab on the 2nd segment and set the Fade In to slow.

8. Save your project using "Save As" to a dmsm project file. The next time you open that dmsm file it should still play correctly

9. To make the switchover from the overlay track I leave to you as an assignment :lol:

As you can see this procedure is really not that involved.

To edit the sound from the main video, you should extract it and save it as a wav file. Then use the audio editor to fix up the audio and then add it to one of the other audio tracks. If you the mute the native audio, you should hear the edited audio. Of course you also have to mute the audio from the overlay video. In fact if you mute the native audio, you might be able to use the overlay audio. There are all sorts of possibilities to do what you want. Part of the fun is experimenting :rolleyes:

Here are some images of what I was trying to describe earlier. The hardest part would be syncing two different camcorders. You would have to line them up vertical and make sure you don't accidentally move a clip after you cplit on the overlay.

By default, the overlay covers the entire image area. You can also reduce the overlay for PIP.

post-49-1257044479.png

post-49-1257044482.png

post-49-1257044488.png

post-49-1257044493.png

Edited by ggrussell

Here are some images of what I was trying to describe earlier. The hardest part would be syncing two different camcorders. You would have to line them up vertical and make sure you don't accidentally move a clip after you cplit on the overlay.

By default, the overlay covers the entire image area. You can also reduce the overlay for PIP.

Tkx for the pics but I can't seem to get them. I am logged in. Not sure what's up.

>>The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.<<

Doug

Tkx for the pics but I can't seem to get them. I am logged in. Not sure what's up.

>>The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.<<

Doug

(looong low whistle!)...

I edited the church camera audio 'up, it's the main video .dmsm file. I increased the volume, treble, mid and bass. Treble and mid quite a bit. Man, it's close to the OL mpgs now! I didn't think I'd achieve that one!

Now it's a matter of your earlier comments about cutting out the OL in the places I want the main to play. I'll be saving with every cut I make.

Tkx everyone, sincerely!

Doug

I use several editors and none of them have a way to 'lock' a clip so it can't be moved. I'm working on a 3 camcorder project now and it's a nightmare. LOL

Not sure why you can't see the images. Could it be a browser setting? Apparently, IE6 has a problem with PNG. Oops... LOL

By the way, the 'transparency' function affects the entire clip. Not just the ends. Use the Settings/Motion tab for fade in/out which will give you something more like a transition on the ends.

I use several editors and none of them have a way to 'lock' a clip so it can't be moved. I'm working on a 3 camcorder project now and it's a nightmare. LOL

Not sure why you can't see the images. Could it be a browser setting? Apparently, IE6 has a problem with PNG. Oops... LOL

By the way, the 'transparency' function affects the entire clip. Not just the ends. Use the Settings/Motion tab for fade in/out which will give you something more like a transition on the ends.

3 Camcorders!? Groooaaan.

Well, I can't thank everyone enough. All the .mpg files are OL'd and well sync'd with the main .dmsm, and the sound is reasonably consistent. It's taken a week to get that far (shame, head hanging :rolleyes: ). I see how the fade options work. This should be well appreciated at church! I'm not sure I want to make a name for myself in doing all this though, it's so much work :lol: .

Now the hard part (for me). The very tedious chore of choosing what plays and when. It'd be extraordinary if we could have three instances open at one... two views, and final. I'll probably use alot of tablet paper in the coming week . I'm sure I'll procrastinate :lol: .

Tkx again, you guys are the best!!

Doug