Sound Soap Issues

Syrallas

Question

Hi all,

I've seen some of you have had success with Sound Soap. Maybe you can let me know if I have a bad install or if I'm missing something. :blink:

So I installed SoundSoap SE Version 2.2 that came with Roxio Creator 2010 Pro

Whenever I call up the program I get this error message:

soapo.jpg

** I have speakers that work with all other programs; is this a "sound device?" :blink:

I then sucessfully load a .wav file (in this case, Petula Clark's Downtown), (any LOST fans out there? :rolleyes:)

I hit play and absolutely nothing happens:

soap2m.jpg

No sound, cursor doesn't move at all unless I drag it. If I drag it, it stays where I put it, playing nothing.

Any ideas?

P.S.

I googled the error phrase "Cannot Find Sound Device" along with Sound Soap and get no results....

soap3.gif

24 answers to this question

Ton, what do you have as a audio device - audio card or built in chip? The computer comes with a chip; you may have added card. Check Windows to find your system components. Have you updated the drivers for it from here?

Is the device enabled in Vista?

Where did you get the audio file? If you got it from ITunes or similar, then it may have DRM protection so you can't use it.

Is the file a WAV file or wav file? Read this.

Edited by sknis

Thanks for trying to help, guys ....

what do you have as a audio device - audio card or built in chip? The computer comes with a chip; you may have added card.

Ask cd -- I get spooked at the thought of opening up my pc. :lol: Haven't added anything.

Check Windows to find your system components.
I'll double check.

Just did -- as I think you noticed from my initial issue with Creator 2010 install (and no SP1 for me at that time), I'm not big into updates! :)

Is the device enabled in Vista?

Everything else plays, so yes, right?

Where did you get the audio file?

No DRM issues, I promise.

Is the file a WAV file or wav file?

Just tried it with a non-DRM mp3 file. Same issue. Note -- I get the error message opening the program; before any option to add a file is available.

Question

If I just delete the program, can I just re-install the bias program from the second content disc?

EDIT:

Here's audio for my pc:

audioa.jpg.

Like I said earlier, I have not installed any audio cards or anything, just plugged in speakers into my pc that play all other audio I try -- including the "beep" I get when the SoundSoap program says "Cannot Find Sound Device" :lol:

Edited by Syrallas

I recently bought the same program and I found instal soundsoap was an interesting experience.Someho wthe soundsoap file was installed some where in my computer thta I didn't know about.I returned the product and to my amazement it did the same thing. I understand your issues with this product...

:}

I recently bought the same program and I found instal soundsoap was an interesting experience.Someho wthe soundsoap file was installed some where in my computer thta I didn't know about.I returned the product and to my amazement it did the same thing. I understand your issues with this product...

:}

Richie, How abut spell check. It looks like you have had a liquid lunch! Sound Soap is in your programs files under BIAS. (Windows>Programs>Bias).

Syrallas:

I have been using Sound Soap for at least 2-3 years and have never had a problem with it. The only thing is that it will not accept an mpg2 file for audio clean up. It will accept many other formats.

Here is a link to Bias Kb articles. You may want to contact their technical support here.

BTW, the Real Tech is your audio chip (device). Go back to that screen and look for the option to show hidden devices. What do you see now? Try enabling the various device you see and then see if Sound Soap sees the device. Have you updated the drivers for it?

Just to let you know, Sound Soap works properly on my Vista Ultimate 64 bit computer.

post-58-1257459733.jpg

Edited by sknis

Hi guys,

Been gone for a while, a number of things going on in my neck of the woods, some good, some not so.

I ended up resolving this by uninstalling Soundsoap on my Vista pc and installing it on my XP based laptop. As Steve suggests, works like a charm, so I'll just use this as necessary on my XP and flashdrive io over to my Vista when needed there.

Will try and see what's been going on 'round the Boards here, and looking forward to seeing what I missed. :)

Hi guys,

Been gone for a while, a number of things going on in my neck of the woods, some good, some not so.

I ended up resolving this by uninstalling Soundsoap on my Vista pc and installing it on my XP based laptop. As Steve suggests, works like a charm, so I'll just use this as necessary on my XP and flashdrive io over to my Vista when needed there.

Will try and see what's been going on 'round the Boards here, and looking forward to seeing what I missed. :)

Looks like you are going to be digging out from under a lot of snow! Yikes!

I've been having the same issues as Syrallas had with Soundsoap. Installed it yesterday as part of Creator 2010 Pro and when I run Soundsoap I get the same "cannot find sound device" error and the program behaves that same way as described above. The play button does not seem to work yet I can load an audio file and all the controls on the soundsoap interface can be adjusted and the time line shows the time length of the file, it's just that the program will not work.

Everything else works fine on the PC. It's a Dell 2.4GHz Q6600 quad core 3GB Ram 1.5 TB harddrive 32 bit Vista SP2. The sound driver was the basic windows driver installed with Vista that has work fine for 3 years, but not with Soundsoap.

I also just installed the latest Sigma-Tel driver for the PC, and still the same problem. (Sigma-Tel driver was what originally came with the PC but had issues with Vista SP1 a few years back, but appears to work fine today with SP2)

Is Soundsoap actually looking for a soundcard instead of onboard sound?

I have a tech support request into BIAS but have yet to hear back.

Any ideas anyone?

I've been having the same issues as Syrallas had with Soundsoap. Installed it yesterday as part of Creator 2010 Pro and when I run Soundsoap I get the same "cannot find sound device" error and the program behaves that same way as described above.

Just found this thread. Installed just a few minutes ago from DVD. Same issue.

Fresh Win 7 32 Bit Install.

Which of the above fixes have you tried?

Thanks for your time.

I re-read to make sure I didn't miss anything. What fixes? The closest to a fix I saw was the questions in post 11 of this thread.

Post 11 of this thread

The drivers are all current, and work just fine for everything else (I have installed so far).

I'll check hidden device etc. when that machine boots Windows7 again. I didn't read anyone else resolving the issue (on Win7 anyway) My version of SoftSoap (that came with Creator 2009 Ultimate) works just fine on my XPSP3 system. If I read a (Win7) solution, I would have tried it. I doesn't mean I didn't miss it, just that I don't remember reading one.

Note that XPSP3 and Win7 run on the EXACT same HW. To swap, I pull the SATA disk with XP (and Creator 2009) out and put in a different one with Win7 and Creator 2010 Pro.

The machine is a Dell Precision P690, 2x2core Xeon 3.0Ghz with 16GB RAM. Win7 is 32bit however, (64 bit has 'issues'), FreeBSD and Fedora are 64 bit (point being all the memory works.) The audio device is built into the motherboard, not external. If it matters, there is a WinTV HVR 2250 card. As I said, SoftSoap (from Creator 2009 Ultimate) works just fine on this HW with XPSP3.

Thanks again for your help.

I went to the Bias web site and searched for system requirements and came up with this. Opviously you have met the first three; do you have QuickTime on your computer?

Windows

•Intel Pentium 3/4, or Athlon with SSE Instructions (≥600 MHz processor)

•Windows XP Home/Professional, Windows Vista or Windows 7

•Windows Media 9 & QuickTime 6.5 (stand-alone mode)

Other than that, you may want to ask Bias via e-mail. They know a lot about MACs but tend to look down on PCs. Keep that in mind.

I went to the Bias web site and searched for system requirements and came up with this. Opviously you have met the first three; do you have QuickTime on your computer?

Windows

•Intel Pentium 3/4, or Athlon with SSE Instructions (≥600 MHz processor)

•Windows XP Home/Professional, Windows Vista or Windows 7

•Windows Media 9 & QuickTime 6.5 (stand-alone mode)

Other than that, you may want to ask Bias via e-mail. They know a lot about MACs but tend to look down on PCs. Keep that in mind.

I do have QuickTime installed. One of the first things I installed after Win7 itself. I have WMP 12(?)... whatever comes with Win7. Win7 (and Office 2007 Pro, Visio Pro 2007) automatic updates are enabled for all Microsoft products.

Already sent mail to Bias after posting here originally. I linked to this thread too.

Thanks!

I no longer seem to have the problem.

I checked for hidden devices as promised, found nothing. What I did notice that certain "things" related to sound settings were not available to Win7 (or couldn't be tested) because I didn't have a microphone plugged in. So I plugged one in, set it in Win7.

The ONLY other thing I was doing was concurrently updating iTunes & QuickTime, as that automattically popped up when I started the system. The prior version were from Apple just a few weeks ago when Win7 was installed (i.e. well greater than the required version.)

Note that I didn't need a microphone on this very same HW for XPSP3 using Creator 2009, and that the version of QuickTime couldn't possibly be this just installed version (wasn't available to download yesterday.) Oh, I don't thing QT finished installing by the time SoundSoap was working anyway, but I rather provide others more info (just in case) than leave something out.

The solution to the problem of the error message "Cannot Find Sound Device" can be found on the Soundsoap website:

http://www.bias-inc.com/support/faq/cView.php?faq_id=229

This is also the reason why there is no sound and Soundsoap cannot play files. Evidently this problem occurs with RealTek soundcards.

To get soundsoap to work on my computer I had to plug something (headphones or an empty plug) into the line input on the computer and select that as the default recording device under sounds in control panel. After finishing using soundsoap you can just select your normal recording device as default again.

Kind Regards

Chris

The solution to the problem of the error message "Cannot Find Sound Device" can be found on the Soundsoap website:

http://www.bias-inc.....php?faq_id=229

This is also the reason why there is no sound and Soundsoap cannot play files. Evidently this problem occurs with RealTek soundcards.

To get soundsoap to work on my computer I had to plug something (headphones or an empty plug) into the line input on the computer and select that as the default recording device under sounds in control panel. After finishing using soundsoap you can just select your normal recording device as default again.

Kind Regards

Chris

Chris, you are replying to a 2 1/2 year old thread. I'm not sure that the original poster is still having and issue especially when the original poster said that he did the same thing (see post 22).