mrgs

The drive reports an error

Question

My iMac since installing Toast 10 has been reporting an error and quite a few disc's or unreadable. I updated to 10.0.2 same problem, Then I updated to 10.0.3 still the same now with 10.0.4 all CD's give same error.

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST,

Sense Code = 0X72 0X04

Empty or partially written

RESERVED TRACK.

I click ok. Then it says same thing. Or it says

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code= 0x0C

WRITE ERROR

I click ok. Then it says the disc failed to be written. Then I get the same on the next CD. Some times during the yellow scroll some time during the blue scroll bar.

I have 10.5.8 OS system on iMac Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB memory. I have ran DiskWarrior. And restarted computer several timers. I have trashed Toast 10 and reinstalled and redown loaded the update 10.0.4. Nothing has helped. I have ruined 3 dozen CD's. I don't use anything but the CD Burner.

I don't know if the above error messages are any help?

4 answers to this question

My iMac since installing Toast 10 has been reporting an error and quite a few disc's or unreadable. I updated to 10.0.2 same problem, Then I updated to 10.0.3 still the same now with 10.0.4 all CD's give same error.

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST,

Sense Code = 0X72 0X04

Empty or partially written

RESERVED TRACK.

I click ok. Then it says same thing. Or it says

Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR

Sense Code= 0x0C

WRITE ERROR

I click ok. Then it says the disc failed to be written. Then I get the same on the next CD. Some times during the yellow scroll some time during the blue scroll bar.

I have 10.5.8 OS system on iMac Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB memory. I have ran DiskWarrior. And restarted computer several timers. I have trashed Toast 10 and reinstalled and redown loaded the update 10.0.4. Nothing has helped. I have ruined 3 dozen CD's. I don't use anything but the CD Burner.

I don't know if the above error messages are any help?

Try a different brand of discs. Sounds as if the ones you are using now are causing that problem. I personally use Taiyo Yuden and/or Verbatim discs with never a problem. :D

Try a different brand of discs. Sounds as if the ones you are using now are causing that problem. I personally use Taiyo Yuden and/or Verbatim discs with never a problem. :D

I am using Verbatim same as I have for years. I burn CD on my other iMac. Except that computer is still in OS system 9.11 due to my needing to bring my work data home requiring that system for classic. So I have not udated it to Toast 10. I am using Toast 9.0.4. on the second iMac. The computers are 5 feet apart. The disc are from same spool of Verbatim Inkjet printable CD-R disc. I was not having that problem before installing Toast 10.

I just now burned a CD with same data and pdf's made with Adobe Photoshop CS4, Indesign CS4, and Acrobat on my second iMac. Everything is saved in PDF's. My internal Drive is Matshita DVD-RUJ-825 on imac with OS 9.11. The drive on imac with OS 10.5.8 is OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A according to system profiler.

If it was the disc I should not be able to burn in Toast 9.0.4 should I?

Edited by mrgs

I am using Verbatim same as I have for years. I burn CD on my other iMac. Except that computer is still in OS system 9.11 due to my needing to bring my work data home requiring that system for classic. So I have not udated it to Toast 10. I am using Toast 9.0.4. on the second iMac. The computers are 5 feet apart. The disc are from same spool of Verbatim Inkjet printable CD-R disc. I was not having that problem before installing Toast 10.

I just now burned a CD with same data and pdf's made with Adobe Photoshop CS4, Indesign CS4, and Acrobat on my second iMac. Everything is saved in PDF's. My internal Drive is Matshita DVD-RUJ-825 on imac with OS 9.11. The drive on imac with OS 10.5.8 is OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5630A according to system profiler.

If it was the disc I should not be able to burn in Toast 9.0.4 should I?

It's probably not the media in your case. I received a Medium error attempting to burn a video DVD to Verbatim media using my MacBook Pro's SuperDrive yet it burned fine using my external drive. I believe there are some problems surfacing between some versions of Toast and the firmware on some of Apple's Superdrives. The OS version may also be a factor. I don't have a solution other than to try burning with the speed set at less than Best. Set the speed after the blank disc is inserted and recognized.