Cannot Update Imported Data on a DVD

rtbt

Question

Hello:

I reguarly use CD Creator to back up my data onto CD's which are perfect for the approximately 600 mb daily backup. That means every time I backup on a CD, I erase the old files and start fresh.

However, I decided to purchase a bunch of DVD-R discs that hold 4.7 gb. I did my first backup of the project and it worked perfectly. However, my problem comes when I try to Import/Append data from the original backup to take advantage of those 4.7 gb of data. When I do such, CD Creator goes through the backup process, validating data, and then writing. But when I'm finished, I still have the data files from the original backup, CD Creator isn't updating the changed files.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, can someone please advise? Instead of Importing/Appending data, should I erase the backup and start fresh each time?

Thanks,

rtbt

13 answers to this question

Hello Frank:

No, you are not out of line. Everything you said is true. More importantly, I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. I may not always agree, but that's all part of the learning process.

In the past I've imported sessions on a CD-R, ran another backup, and voila, the new and updated foldes/files were there. I must say this experience with the DVD+R has been bizarre and leads me to believe I did something wrong or out of the prescribed order, whatever that is. And no matter what I try, I can't get this DVD+R updated with the latest files from CD Creator Project.

rtbt

I have some files to burn on a DVD+R disk myself and will play around with them to see if I can duplicate what you are trying to do. Having done this before however I have always seen both sets of files in the burn window before I start burning my project. And when I get done I always have one complete set of files that includes both burns of the multi-session.

Frank....

rtbt: I am going to pound my head on a wall if it is this simple… Are you running XP SP2?

Earlier versions of XP had problems with DVD's and Sessions. I don't recall if it was SP1 or SP2 that fixed that.

It has been so long ago that I forgot to ask about your OS version.

Hello James:

Yes, I'm using the latest version of XP with Service Pack 2.

I think this particular DVD+R is shot, I can no longer append data when I insert it into the drive. At least prior to this, I could append data and then run an Easy CD Creator backup. Can't do that anymore.

By the way, I went to the Plextor website and downloaded the latest firmware update.

rtbt

Hi again rtbt. I went through a test burn to see if I could come up with what you are experiencing. BTW, I'm running XP (sp2) also. I placed a DVD +R disk in my drive and booted up Creator Classic. Then placed about 2 + GB of files on the disc and burned it. No problems burning the disc. I did not specify to close the disc. After burning I placed the same disc back into the same drive and at this point I clicked on the little Icon that says "Import data from and Appendable Disc" It's the third Icon to the left of the Burn Icon. Almost immediately it brought up all of the files that I had placed on the first burn. THEN, I added more files and burned again. After this second burn, I placed the disc in the same drive and clicked on Windows Explorer. All of the files from the first and second burn were there. So everything went O.K. for what I did.

Now I'm still not sure if this is what you are trying to accompish, but if not then I'm off base with your problem. BTW, my disc is a multi-session disc.

Frank....

Hello Frank:

Yes, thats exactly what Im trying to do. In fact, thats exactly what I do and get different results. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, now I suspect there was something wrong with the DVD+R.

By the way, theres something wrong with my apostrophe key so I have to skip them whenever relevant.

rtbt

Hello Frank:

Yes, thats exactly what Im trying to do. In fact, thats exactly what I do and get different results. At first I thought I was doing something wrong, now I suspect there was something wrong with the DVD+R.

By the way, theres something wrong with my apostrophe key so I have to skip them whenever relevant.

rtbt

What Plextor do you have? My 716A went belly up after 15 months, and I did not over work it. :)

Hello:

I reguarly use CD Creator to back up my data onto CD's which are perfect for the approximately 600 mb daily backup. That means every time I backup on a CD, I erase the old files and start fresh.

However, I decided to purchase a bunch of DVD-R discs that hold 4.7 gb. I did my first backup of the project and it worked perfectly. However, my problem comes when I try to Import/Append data from the original backup to take advantage of those 4.7 gb of data. When I do such, CD Creator goes through the backup process, validating data, and then writing. But when I'm finished, I still have the data files from the original backup, CD Creator isn't updating the changed files.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, can someone please advise? Instead of Importing/Appending data, should I erase the backup and start fresh each time?

Thanks,

rtbt

I wonder how you are "erasing" the data from a CD-R. The only way I can figure out is if you formatted the disc for Packet-Writing, which is best used for permantly losing all the data.

The only other way to "erase" data from a CD is with CD-RW, which can be completely erased and re-used. That makes it fine for testing purposes, so you don't waste discs. However, the same qualities that make it eraseable cause RW media to fade out over time, eventually getting so faint that not even a recovery program can retrieve them.

Some basic information on optical media:

Whereas magnetic media (floppy, zip, Hard Drives) is set magneticly and can be reversed, the equivilent of 0's and 1's are called "pits and lands", and they are depressions burned into the media and places left untouched.

With R media, the later "cooks" a dye to create the pits and lands. Once the dye is "cooked", it's pretty stable - not quite as good as commercially pressed discs (where the pits and lands are physically pressed into the metal) but close.

With RW media, an aluminum alloy is melted and recrystalized by the laser (at a lower temperature), and it promptly begins to de-crystalize, taking the data with it. This makes it useful for testing, and for moving files from one computer to another when there are no other options, but risky for most other purposes.

That said, I think we need more information on exactly how you are making these CD and DVD backups.

Lynn

I'm sorry, I thought I stated that I'm using CD Creator. By the way, you guys were right, ERASE is grayed out under the Disc and Device Utilities, so that isn't an option.

I have a saved Data Project that selects about 600 mb of data files which I back up on a daily basis. I do the following:

[1] I open CD Creator and place the DVD-R in the drive

[2] I'm prompted to import data from the disc [DVD-R]

[3] I import the data from an appendable disc which contains all of the latest, up to date files

[4] I open my data project

[5] I burn the files

[6] The process validates my files [updates changed files] and writes them to the DVD

By the way, before I start the burn process, the estimated data size is 1795.4 mb with 2675.25 mb free on the DVD. I'm assuming that previous appends have used up 1795 mb on the DVD

I know the updated files are on the DVD because they show up when I import the data from the appendable disc. However, when I look at the files via Windows Explorer, I'm only seeing the files from the first, original data backup from earlier this week. I cannot see the files I backed up today.

I have an external Plextor DVD drive, the 740-UF. So far it's been working great, my only complaint is the noise level. However, I only turn on the unit during backups and then I turn it off.

rtbt

So based on what I think you are doing, then this is just a "multi-session" disk, Is that right ? If you are only seeing files from the first burn in Windows Explorer and you say you know that they are there when you import the other files, are you seeing BOTH sets of files before you burn ? Or maybe I'm out of line on my thinking as to what you are actually doing.

Frank....

Archived