How create simple, plain, non-cheezy menus?

gfcatlanta

Question

I just installed EMC8 retail/English, and would like to work with MyDVD. It looks like it only comes with 2 menu choices. Both are "cheezy". That is, the background, text, and buttons all look extremely amateur. In addition, where it says "download more"...the "MyDVD Premium Style" menu packs that come up are only ones that are a) for sale, and B) even if bought seem like more of the same cheezy menus. So,

1) Is there ANY way to create very simple, plain menus... like just a black or color background with an Arial font title in a certain place, and a few simple buttons (or click-on text) that DON'T look like air-brushed license plates from an old beach (buttons with pictures inside). That is, all I want is to put a DVD in the home player, it comes up with a navy background, a white title 'VACATION 2005' and let's say 4 gray dots (or shapes of my choosing) with "Play", "Florida", "NC", and "Virginia" ...which of course take the viewer to either the whole video or the selected areas like Florida, etc. (Maybe the title screen could have a small strip of beach picture across the bottom 20% of the TV screen (top 80% navy blue), unless that's complicated to do). It's a simple layout of objects, shouldn't be that difficult, right?

2) There was some type of product that is also offered (saw last night) on Roxio or Sonic, for around $49, that allows creating "custom skins" I think, and includes a tutorial on how to use Adobe Photoshop to create menus. I can't find it anywhere now for some reason, but eventually will.... Is this the answer to creating plain, simple, quality menus? Does it work well?

Thanks,

George

4 answers to this question

-I think I don't have either essentials (that's a separate product, right?) or standard (unsure what it is). I just installed EMC8, unless that includes or implies these things.

-Did not install content disk. During installation, it didn't ask or have a checkbox. Later found info that said got to add/remove > EMC8 > find "Content" and check 3 of these or something like that to install. But I don't have term "Content" under EMC8. Also, before I installed "Content", I sent email to support asking if this is really content, or just a catalog of links and things for sale (not really Content)

-Yes, can change background ok, and music. Agree, I'll try to work with this. Pls remember, newbie here.

-Button style is the real negative. I really want to have (or be able to create) simple buttons: 1) click-on-text (it will do that I'm told, if I modify the 'wedding' style template), 2) squares for buttons (not there), 3) circles (not there), 4) text inside a box for a button (not doable). The picture-in-button concept is terrible (looks like very cheezy airbrushed license plates from a 1970's era beach). I'll try putting a color inside in place of picture, but I'm not sure how that'll look.

-Thanks for suggestions and any additional, greatly appreciated. Overall, EMC8 seems pretty good.

Do you have essentials or standard ? Did you install the content disc/file? I'm not sure about essentials but if you have the standard, you should be able to select the style that you like better and then replace the background with an image of your choice (Change background). Should also be able to change the music. I don't think you can change the button style. If you don't like what you see in the button, put a color panel, perhaps with test as the first image in your show (VideoWave).

As for amateur, this is not a professional editing program; it is for beginners.enthusiasts but it does give a lot of options if you try to learn. Have you read the manual?

1) Thanks! This layout is really close. And beyond call of duty in responding to my newbie post, so thank you.

2) Still unsure what "Essentials" means, is that something I have or not? (I just bought EMC8 from local retail store (English). I didn't see anything like this on Start menu. Do I need to install (in add/remove) or buy?

3) The 'play' from single button sounds ideal. After re-thinking, I think that may be answer. What I'd (now) like to do is just type VACATION 2005 and have one PLAY button at bottom... it would then start with Florida and keep going thru until end of Virginia. But, like playing a bought-movie, I could click >> or << on remote and it would skip to beginning of Florida, NC, Virginia. Is this right?

4) In above scenario... How does it know the three chapters...is that something I set up?

5) In above scenario, is this ONE movie I import (VacationFlNcVa.avi), or can I import three movies (Fl.avi, Nc.avi, Va.avi)? Any suggestions on best way?

Thanks again,

George

The answer to this part is no. MyDVD uses premade templates.

However, the other part is yes. You can have a plain colored background with simple text as button in all versions. I haven't seen Essentials, but from posts here, I understand there is only ONE template with just text.

In my screenshot, Florida, NC and Virginia are buttons that play a video. ONLY the Deluxe version will create a PLAY ALL button since these are 'titles' on the main menu. However for other versions, you can add all the videos to a single button that plays them all and then create a chapter submenu to select any particular one.

There is no automatic way to create a plain background, but you can use any image editor like Photosuite 8 to create a 720 X 480 (NTSC) and save as JPG.

Start MyDVD 8 project

Click on Change Menu Style and choose the style with text buttons

Click on Change Background and select your Blue JPG that you created.

Add your video(s)

Edit the button text. Change the fonts. etc

You need to read up on video and DVD creation. You seem to be getting terms confused. Although programs like Videowave and MyDVD make the process easier, you should have a good working knowledge before beginning.

There are 3 versions of Easy Media Creator 8: Essentials, Standard and Deluxe. What features are available depends on which version you purchased.

As mentioned in my previous message, the Content disc has its own install. Just insert the Content and it should autorun unless you have that turned off in which case you can still run the setup manually.

4) In above scenario... How does it know the three chapters...is that something I set up?
In my example, those are NOT chapters. They are individual files on the MAIN MENU and they are considered TITLES. Chapters is something that you have to setup yourself.

5) In above scenario, is this ONE movie I import (VacationFlNcVa.avi), or can I import three movies (Fl.avi, Nc.avi, Va.avi)? Any suggestions on best way?
You have the choice of doing it either way. That is something you will have to decide, but it will affect how the first menu looks and works.

Do you have essentials or standard ? Did you install the content disc/file? I'm not sure about essentials but if you have the standard, you should be able to select the style that you like better and then replace the background with an image of your choice (Change background). Should also be able to change the music. I don't think you can change the button style. If you don't like what you see in the button, put a color panel, perhaps with test as the first image in your show (VideoWave).

As for amateur, this is not a professional editing program; it is for beginners.enthusiasts but it does give a lot of options if you try to learn. Have you read the manual?

I just installed EMC8 retail/English, and would like to work with MyDVD. It looks like it only comes with 2 menu choices. Both are "cheezy". That is, the background, text, and buttons all look extremely amateur. In addition, where it says "download more"...the "MyDVD Premium Style" menu packs that come up are only ones that are a) for sale, and :) even if bought seem like more of the same cheezy menus. So,

1) Is there ANY way to create very simple, plain menus... like just a black or color background with an Arial font title in a certain place, and a few simple buttons (or click-on text) that DON'T look like air-brushed license plates from an old beach (buttons with pictures inside). That is, all I want is to put a DVD in the home player, it comes up with a navy background, a white title 'VACATION 2005' and let's say 4 gray dots (or shapes of my choosing) with "Play", "Florida", "NC", and "Virginia" ...which of course take the viewer to either the whole video or the selected areas like Florida, etc. (Maybe the title screen could have a small strip of beach picture across the bottom 20% of the TV screen (top 80% navy blue), unless that's complicated to do). It's a simple layout of objects, shouldn't be that difficult, right?

2) There was some type of product that is also offered (saw last night) on Roxio or Sonic, for around $49, that allows creating "custom skins" I think, and includes a tutorial on how to use Adobe Photoshop to create menus. I can't find it anywhere now for some reason, but eventually will.... Is this the answer to creating plain, simple, quality menus? Does it work well?

Thanks,

George

(or shapes of my choosing)
The answer to this part is no. MyDVD uses premade templates.

However, the other part is yes. You can have a plain colored background with simple text as button in all versions. I haven't seen Essentials, but from posts here, I understand there is only ONE template with just text.

In my screenshot, Florida, NC and Virginia are buttons that play a video. ONLY the Deluxe version will create a PLAY ALL button since these are 'titles' on the main menu. However for other versions, you can add all the videos to a single button that plays them all and then create a chapter submenu to select any particular one.

There is no automatic way to create a plain background, but you can use any image editor like Photosuite 8 to create a 720 X 480 (NTSC) and save as JPG.

Start MyDVD 8 project

Click on Change Menu Style and choose the style with text buttons

Click on Change Background and select your Blue JPG that you created.

Add your video(s)

Edit the button text. Change the fonts. etc

post-49-1149182819.jpg

Archived