Stalling during Encoding

absolut563

Question

Hi,

My EMC8 keeps stalling at 56% during encoding, it just hangs there for hours. I am trying to burn an mpeg2 file to DVD-R (Maxell). I have tried several different video files and it happens on all of them.

I have:

Dell Dimension 5100 P4 3.0

1g ram

ATI Radeon X600 256MB

Philips DVD+-RW 8701

110GB free on 160gb hd

I have installed the ATI hotfix to correct the blue screen of death, I have DirectX 9.0C, latest firmware upgrade for dvd drive.

Also, what wouyld cause a burned disc to work great in my dvd player until 5 minutes before the end. It has happened with several discs. Are the discs not being finalized?

Any help would be appreciated.

18 answers to this question

There is a very fast, very simple solution to these encoding problems that people seem to be experiencing -- check out the posts from #12 on in this thread:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=2803

Note that the solution mentioned therein also works if you want to encode DVD-compliant files at higher resolutions (such as full-D1 720x480 resolution).

:)

Don't get me wrong - I like the Roxio product and I'd like to see an important (to me) DVD Authoring part of it work as advertised.

But keep in mind that putting up a forum and paying to host it is much cheaper than staffing up a tech support group. Roxio/Sonic benefits greatly from experts like you who volunteer your time to help others (have you really posted over 11.5K times since January? That is a terrific boost for Roxio users seeking advice!)

I have not posted over 11.5K times since January of this year. For whatever reason, the post count carried over from the previous forum server. I started visiting the Roxio forums in January 2004.

Hey, look! Me, too!

BurnerState_NormalizingAudio : 490 / 2

BurnerState_NormalizingAudio : 100 / 2

State Change Time 00:35:30 : Elapsed Seconds 1402.60

[ nextState ] BurnerState_NormalizingAudio ==> BurnerState_EncodingTitle 1 / 1

BurnerState_EncodingTitle : 0 / 2

GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_STARTING param2 = 2300

GEV_PLASMA_STATE_CHANGE : PLASMASTATE_RECORDING param2 = 2301

GEVENT = 13 : param1 0 param2 = 0

GEV_VOBGRAPH_NO_SAMPLES_RECEIVED : param1 0 param2 = 0

This is appalling. I will try the workaround, but it seems a tremendous waste of my time to have to spoonfeed my video to this program.

--Chris

Hi,

My EMC8 keeps stalling at 56% during encoding, it just hangs there for hours. I am trying to burn an mpeg2 file to DVD-R (Maxell). I have tried several different video files and it happens on all of them.

I have:

Dell Dimension 5100 P4 3.0

1g ram

ATI Radeon X600 256MB

Philips DVD+-RW 8701

110GB free on 160gb hd

I have installed the ATI hotfix to correct the blue screen of death, I have DirectX 9.0C, latest firmware upgrade for dvd drive.

Also, what wouyld cause a burned disc to work great in my dvd player until 5 minutes before the end. It has happened with several discs. Are the discs not being finalized?

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried burning to an ISO file first instead of direct to disc? You can then make sure the file finished properly before you use Disc Copier to burn to disc.

As for the last 5 minutes of play....does this disc play fine in your computer dvd drive? What happens the last 5 minutes? Does it just stop?

Have you tried burning to an ISO file first instead of direct to disc? You can then make sure the file finished properly before you use Disc Copier to burn to disc.

As for the last 5 minutes of play....does this disc play fine in your computer dvd drive? What happens the last 5 minutes? Does it just stop?

No, I have not tried ISO, I will try.

As for the freezing, it does just freeze, won't play forward or back. They do play fine in my computer, but do it on both my DVD players (one sony, one Yamaha) both good quality.

Thanks for the relpy.

As for the freezing, it does just freeze, won't play forward or back. They do play fine in my computer, but do it on both my DVD players (one sony, one Yamaha) both good quality.

Thanks for the relpy.

Many of the players don't like home made discs but they're getting better. It might be helpful to find out what brand of disc is recommended by the manufacturer of the player and try a different brand. I have 2 players and 1 plays almost any brand but the other chokes on Memorex and TDK so I don't use them.

I won't be civil with my comments like this gentlemen was, roxio is a lemon and I check in every now and then to see if anything changed and to my disappointment it hasn't.
I read through all of your 6 posts and it doesn't appear that you have done much to try to fix your problem. I went to Sony's website and pulled up the spec sheet on your PCVRS720G. There are several things that catch my eye:

1) Most likely it came with Sonic DLA preinstalled. If you don't use this feature, it's best to just uninstall it. Packet writers cause more trouble than they're worth.

2) The integrated graphics chipset does NOT fully support DirectX which is used by Videowave and MyDVD. You have an available 16X PCIe slot. I highly recommend a separate video card. I just bought a PCIe nVidia 7300SE with 256MB for only $69 (after rebates) .

3) GigaPocket does NOT work with any software except what comes on the Vaio.

I'm not sure about the Yamaha sound card, but as long as the drivers support DirectX, it should work. DirectX is no longer just for gamers and it does require better hardware and drivers.

If you've read through any threads other than your own, you would know the routine - update, update, update. Your computer was probably manufactured in 2001-2002. Have you applied all Window XP updates and SP2?

I am glad someone who could articulate there feelings responded here, I too had high hopes for Roxios' product in particular since sonic took over.

I have not burned one dvd with roxios' program since I bought it over 6 months ago, This has been the worst Beta testing I have ever done, at least in a real Beta test you get paid and most of all somone addresses the problem.

I won't be civil with my comments like this gentlemen was, roxio is a lemon and I check in every now and then to see if anything changed and to my disappointment it hasn't.

When I burn my first dvd successfully (having time to waist in trying) I will post a FULL workaround, but trust me you are fighting a losing battle with this product.

The label creator works! (took 2 months or so)

Audio capture of tapes from cassettes work, recording them is another thing yet!

CD copier might work

backup might work

DVD (ALL) DVD operations are failures still.

Duf

In that case, can you shed some light on this problem? It's hugely frustrating that I purchased the one program that TiVo recommends to burn TiVoToGo shows to DVD, and it doesn't work!

--Chris

Hello? Is this thing on?

I've tried nearly every combination I can to get this to work, and every time...EVERY TIME...it stalls after encoding the audio. GEVENT=11 doesn't show up in the logs like it does when it's encoding a smaller file.

Come on, people. How is this possible that MyDVD 8, the only program TiVo says its streams work with, doesn't work with TiVo streams? Anyone?

--Chris

Thanks for the relpy.

You are among legions of users who see this "stall during encoding" problem with MyDVD. It has been consistently reported as a MyDVD "feature" since Version 6 of that product.

Try the Burn to ISO file image approach recommended above. If that still stalls, then check the Burn Log produced by MyDVD when you hit the "Burn" button. It is found in the Documents and Settings folder for your user, in the Applications. Typically, the path to it would look like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\ Application Data\Roxio\MyDVD

As you scroll to the end of that file, you may see a point in the file where the reported progress just reverts to line-after-line of "No_Samples_Received", as illustrated below. That's the point where your Encoding operation just stops. MyDVD is not hung - it is still filling up the log until you cancel the burn operation.

GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 2040222 param2 = 4166884 (Your #'s here will be different)

GEV_VOBGRAPH_SAMPLES_RECEIVED : param1 85011 param2 = 1142

If this is what you are seeing, then prepare yourself for a potentially difficult path to resolution. No amount of "Burning to Image" or chasing the "Upgrade your firmware", Upgrade your BIOS, Upgrade your OS, Upgrade your Video Driver, upgrade your DirectX, yada, yada, yada appears to address this -- for some reason the Encoding operation just stops and ROXIO does not appear able to solve the problem through normal support calls. So you can save yourself days of "try-this / try-that" time by writing up all the details to submit to Roxio support with a specific request that they pass it to their Software engineering group.

Ask the Roxio phone support person for an email address, then be sure to send them:

1) Your Burn Log

2) The file produced by Windows "DXDIAG.EXE" program (from the Start menu, select "RUN" then type in DXDIAG). When the program comes up, you will see a button to write all data to a file -- select that and send that file to Roxio as part of your technical submission. All of your Computer's Hardware and Software configuration info is included in this file.

3) Details of the video clip(s) you are trying to burn. You can get this from MyDVD by selecting your movie, then hitting the "Edit Movie" button. From the storyboard view, right click each panel and select "Properties". From the Properties screen, select the "Details" tab and copy the information on Frame rate, file size, file format, Duration - or paste the screen shot of the details info into your submission to Roxio.

4) Screen shot or description of the "Project Settings" for the project you're trying to burn

5) Screen shot or description of the DVD Menus you are trying to build in your project.

I know this is a bit of effort, but there are often 2-3 posts per day about this Failure to Complete Encoding problem and no real resolution has emerged from Roxio since Version 6 of the product!

In the spirit of these discussion forums and really helping each other out, taking the time to provid detailed information to Roxio might actually get this problem with MyDVD8 resolved for all of us paying customers so we can use it for its intended purpose - to create Video-DVDs without hours (or days) of frustration trying to get the tools to work.

Good Luck.

Hello? Is this thing on?

I've tried nearly every combination I can to get this to work, and every time...EVERY TIME...it stalls after encoding the audio. GEVENT=11 doesn't show up in the logs like it does when it's encoding a smaller file.

Come on, people. How is this possible that MyDVD 8, the only program TiVo says its streams work with, doesn't work with TiVo streams? Anyone?

--Chris

I think you forgot to mention whether or not you tried any of the workarounds. Check out the Tivo to Go fourm down at the bottom of the main page.

You are among legions of users who see this "stall during encoding" problem with MyDVD. It has been consistently reported as a MyDVD "feature" since Version 6 of that product.

Try the Burn to ISO file image approach recommended above. If that still stalls, then check the Burn Log produced by MyDVD when you hit the "Burn" button. It is found in the Documents and Settings folder for your user, in the Applications. Typically, the path to it would look like:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Name>\ Application Data\Roxio\MyDVD

As you scroll to the end of that file, you may see a point in the file where the reported progress just reverts to line-after-line of "No_Samples_Received", as illustrated below. That's the point where your Encoding operation just stops. MyDVD is not hung - it is still filling up the log until you cancel the burn operation.

GEV_PLASMA_PROGRESS_SPACE : param1 2040222 param2 = 4166884 (Your #'s here will be different)

GEV_VOBGRAPH_SAMPLES_RECEIVED : param1 85011 param2 = 1142

If this is what you are seeing, then prepare yourself for a potentially difficult path to resolution. No amount of "Burning to Image" or chasing the "Upgrade your firmware", Upgrade your BIOS, Upgrade your OS, Upgrade your Video Driver, upgrade your DirectX, yada, yada, yada appears to address this -- for some reason the Encoding operation just stops and ROXIO does not appear able to solve the problem through normal support calls. So you can save yourself days of "try-this / try-that" time by writing up all the details to submit to Roxio support with a specific request that they pass it to their Software engineering group.

Ask the Roxio phone support person for an email address, then be sure to send them:

1) Your Burn Log

2) The file produced by Windows "DXDIAG.EXE" program (from the Start menu, select "RUN" then type in DXDIAG). When the program comes up, you will see a button to write all data to a file -- select that and send that file to Roxio as part of your technical submission. All of your Computer's Hardware and Software configuration info is included in this file.

3) Details of the video clip(s) you are trying to burn. You can get this from MyDVD by selecting your movie, then hitting the "Edit Movie" button. From the storyboard view, right click each panel and select "Properties". From the Properties screen, select the "Details" tab and copy the information on Frame rate, file size, file format, Duration - or paste the screen shot of the details info into your submission to Roxio.

4) Screen shot or description of the "Project Settings" for the project you're trying to burn

5) Screen shot or description of the DVD Menus you are trying to build in your project.

I know this is a bit of effort, but there are often 2-3 posts per day about this Failure to Complete Encoding problem and no real resolution has emerged from Roxio since Version 6 of the product!

In the spirit of these discussion forums and really helping each other out, taking the time to provid detailed information to Roxio might actually get this problem with MyDVD8 resolved for all of us paying customers so we can use it for its intended purpose - to create Video-DVDs without hours (or days) of frustration trying to get the tools to work.

Good Luck.

This problem is exactly what happens on my Dell (albeit with only 512 of RAM). I managed to get myDVD to burn ONE copy of my slideshow, but every subsequent one either had the 80004003 end of endocing freeze / error or when I try to iso burn it hangs up. I'll email support as above too.

While I love your sarcasm, people actually resolve the issue by updating the video card driver as seen in the thread below where you also posted. I'm surprised you are not suggesting the OP to do the same thing.

Computer freezes while encoding my DVD

I just spent some time with Comaq helpdesk and they helped me upgrade my driver and everything seems to be working ok...although I haven't had too much chance to mess with it.

While I love your sarcasm, people actually resolve the issue by updating the video card driver as seen in the thread below where you also posted. I'm surprised you are not suggesting the OP to do the same thing.

Computer freezes while encoding my DVD

I started a career in the Software business in the late 70's and I have little patience for companies that release products for their customers to debug. After paying $100, the customer gets to invest 20-30-40 hours or more in trying to get buggy SW to work...not counting what could be dozens more hours creating the project that won't burn. And Roxio openly says they'll hit users for another $35 to place a support call ! I can't comment on how well this is enforced at Roxio, but a well prepared caller reporting a bug is an ASSET to the SW company, not a liability to be charged 35% of the product cost to report a problem.

That being said, those selfsame companies need detailed information to debug their software.

If enough people provide good details, the engineers have a shot at establishing a trend so they can address it with a patch or update. The "fix" might be more sophisticated error handling routines, or might be more sophisticated System environment detection code - who knows.

If I did not think that Roxio's product had potential, I would not bother. Also, it is incomprehensible to me why a Roxio hosted forum gets 2-3 posts per day on a topic that is never addressed by a moderator who admits to an affiliation with Roxio. No quality company hosts a customer forum then completely ignores it. So let's help Roxio help its customers by providing the info engineers need to actually address a sticky (but prevalent) problem.

Regarding the Video Driver update thing ...

The Video card Graphics Processor (GPU) might be used for rendering some of the menu templates in MyDVD, but TRANSCODING the typical MPG2 output file from an NLE to VOB files is not a rendering operation.

However, the Encoding "hang" manifested by the Burn Log example above occurs even when one turns off Hardware Rendering in the Program Options menu. In this case, the Video Driver / GPU have no part in the process no matter what the user has in the project. All the Vid driver is doing is painting yellow status bars on the screen.

When this many users have the same problem, there is something seriously wrong with the product's ability to detect, report, or maybe even correct (work-around) errors encountered during the encoding process.

For example, if a request to the GPU to render a 3-D menu in Hardware times out, the Software should report the time-out in the burn log and revert to Software Rendering (which is already built into the product) to finish the burn. In a Customer focused organization, steps are taken to insure that the CUSTOMER need not suffer the pain of troubleshooting problems.

I started a career in the Software business in the late 70's and I have little patience for companies that release products for their customers to debug. After paying $100, the customer gets to invest 20-30-40 hours or more in trying to get buggy SW to work...not counting what could be dozens more hours creating the project that won't burn. And Roxio openly says they'll hit users for another $35 to place a support call ! I can't comment on how well this is enforced at Roxio, but a well prepared caller reporting a bug is an ASSET to the SW company, not a liability to be charged 35% of the product cost to report a problem.

That being said, those selfsame companies need detailed information to debug their software.

If enough people provide good details, the engineers have a shot at establishing a trend so they can address it with a patch or update. The "fix" might be more sophisticated error handling routines, or might be more sophisticated System environment detection code - who knows.

If I did not think that Roxio's product had potential, I would not bother. Also, it is incomprehensible to me why a Roxio hosted forum gets 2-3 posts per day on a topic that is never addressed by a moderator who admits to an affiliation with Roxio. No quality company hosts a customer forum then completely ignores it. So let's help Roxio help its customers by providing the info engineers need to actually address a sticky (but prevalent) problem.

Regarding the Video Driver update thing ...

The Video card Graphics Processor (GPU) might be used for rendering some of the menu templates in MyDVD, but TRANSCODING the typical MPG2 output file from an NLE to VOB files is not a rendering operation.

However, the Encoding "hang" manifested by the Burn Log example above occurs even when one turns off Hardware Rendering in the Program Options menu. In this case, the Video Driver / GPU have no part in the process no matter what the user has in the project. All the Vid driver is doing is painting yellow status bars on the screen.

When this many users have the same problem, there is something seriously wrong with the product's ability to detect, report, or maybe even correct (work-around) errors encountered during the encoding process.

For example, if a request to the GPU to render a 3-D menu in Hardware times out, the Software should report the time-out in the burn log and revert to Software Rendering (which is already built into the product) to finish the burn. In a Customer focused organization, steps are taken to insure that the CUSTOMER need not suffer the pain of troubleshooting problems.

I don't disagree with most of this post, but could you be so kind as to provide a link to the Nero sponsored forums? Don't bother looking. Those forums do not exist.

Roxio provided these forums for folks who use the software, to try to help each other. Once in awhile, a Roxio moderator will drop in and try to help out, but it is not an everyday event. I don't mind that. I certainly don't have all the answers, and I use 7.5. I don't like the encoding on version 8, so I don't use it for my video work but use it for most other needs.

I dont know why everyone assumes we dont read these forums. I spend about 80 percent of my day doing forum related things. If a user is being helped by other users, I usually dont feel the need to post my 2 cents unless I have something really quick to say.

In that case, can you shed some light on this problem? It's hugely frustrating that I purchased the one program that TiVo recommends to burn TiVoToGo shows to DVD, and it doesn't work!

--Chris

I don't disagree with most of this post, but could you be so kind as to provide a link to the Nero sponsored forums? Don't bother looking. Those forums do not exist.

Roxio provided these forums for folks who use the software, to try to help each other. Once in awhile, a Roxio moderator will drop in and try to help out, but it is not an everyday event. I don't mind that. I certainly don't have all the answers, and I use 7.5. I don't like the encoding on version 8, so I don't use it for my video work but use it for most other needs.

Don't get me wrong - I like the Roxio product and I'd like to see an important (to me) DVD Authoring part of it work as advertised.

But keep in mind that putting up a forum and paying to host it is much cheaper than staffing up a tech support group. Roxio/Sonic benefits greatly from experts like you who volunteer your time to help others (have you really posted over 11.5K times since January? That is a terrific boost for Roxio users seeking advice!)

I'm not a Nero user, but my neighbor runs an Image Brokering business that represents (sells photos for) over 100 professional photographers. He swears by Nero as a fast, reliable way to burn dozens of data CD's and DVD's each day for delivery of digital photos to clients (these are typically 60Mb or larger files for each photo)

...so it could be that Nero customers find satisfaction in a quality product backed by real tech support offered by the vendor and that no equivalent forum is needed.

...food for thought.

I'm only saying that this Stalls-on-Encoding problem is so prevalent, it is obvious that Roxio is starved for sufficient data to fix it. So rise up Frustrated MyDVD users and get your detailed computer and Video project data to the people who can fix it.

And again, sincerely, thank you for your dedication to this forum. During my early experience with the Product, I gleaned a lot of tips from the posts that you and the other GURU class posters made.

Archived