• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Result code -2004

lastudios

Question

For almost a year we have been using Toast Platinum 6.11 with a Canopus advc-110 dv converter connected to the firewire port. Toast would always detect the converter at application start. Now Toast crashes to desktop saying it can not connect to DV device with result code -2004. Unplug the converter and Toast works normally. plug the converter into another G5 and everything works as normal. Have thrown toast pref to the trash with no effect.

This problem is the same with any user, so its not a user issue. Other application such as Pro-Tools, Quicktime or iMovie all play video thru the DV converter as normal, and Toast does not crash when these other apps are running, which would indicate that Toast has lost the ability to intialize and connect the firewire device, but I'm not sure what controls that function. To make matters worse this is the second machine that now has this problem.

Any clues greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.

Spec's Mac G5 2.5g DP PPC Tower, 1gig Mem., OSX 10.3.9 (Panther), Toast v6.11, Canopus ADVC-110 DV Converter.

4 answers to this question

It surprises me that it ever worked. I had the Canopus ADVC-55 and Toast would not work with it. For importing video from the Canopus I used the freeware app Vidi. Apple also provides a DV capture application in its free Firewire SDK21 available at http://developer.apple.com

My experience is that Toast's plug and burn feature is designed only for camcorders and not DV capture devices. Also Toast has problems when it sees a DV device that it can't control as a camera.

I have this problem, how do I fix it?

Thanks for the response. We don't usually use Toast to record from DV device, its just that Toast detects the DV devices when launched, and had been able to detect the device, but something has changed, whether its Toast or operating system intialization, but something has changed. As I stated, it worked yesterday and today nothing.

How about it Roxio - any clues ?

Thanks for the response. We don't usually use Toast to record from DV device, its just that Toast detects the DV devices when launched, and had been able to detect the device, but something has changed, whether its Toast or operating system intialization, but something has changed. As I stated, it worked yesterday and today nothing.

How about it Roxio - any clues ?

I have this problem, how do I fix it?

I'm sorry, but I'm not clear what you need to fix. If Toast is crashing because you have a Firewire capture device connected then the "fix" is to disconnect the capture device when you are going to be launching Toast. Once you've launched Toast successfully, the next time you quit Toast do so with Toast set for something other than the Video window. It might work launching Toast with a DV capture device connected as long Toast isn't trying to start up with the Video window as the default.

I haven't experienced this error. In my case Toast sees the Firewire capture device but just won't use it for importing video. I'm not sure why it causes it a crash for some users but I know it does.

Archived