• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video and Audio capture

phillyflash2

Question

When capturing video and audio from my camcorder (Sony analog mini dv tape model) using a firewire to firewire cable to my Toshiba Satellite P305, the file saved to my computer is choppy and skips. I have a dual core processor 2.0 GHz and 4GHz memory.

My question is: Is my processor powerful enough for Creator 2010? I did read the requirements for video editing, and I think it said something about needing a 4.0 GHz processor. Could this be correct? I hope this is not correct. Could someone out there give me some advice as to what the problem could be? Thank you, John J. Donadio

philly_flash2@yahoo.com

10 answers to this question

They don't even make a 4Ghz processor. ;) Your machine should work fine. Which Sony model? If it uses miniDV tape, most likely it is digital - not analog. You should be capturing to DV AVI. Your machine may not be powerful enough to convert to MPEG 2 on the fly.

The Sony camcorder is a DCR-TRV900 NTSC. It's an old one but takes great videos. Yeh, I guess it is a digital though.

I'm relieved that they don't make a 4 GHz processor - I am relieved that I'm not that far behind (technologically speaking). Can you expound on what you mean that my machine may not be powerful enough to convert MPEG 2 on the fly.

Thanks for your quick reply, ggrussell.

John J. Donadio

The Sony camcorder is a DCR-TRV900 NTSC. It's an old one but takes great videos. Yeh, I guess it is a digital though.

I'm relieved that they don't make a 4 GHz processor - I am relieved that I'm not that far behind (technologically speaking). Can you expound on what you mean that my machine may not be powerful enough to convert MPEG 2 on the fly.

Thanks for your quick reply, ggrussell.

John J. Donadio

Where do you see the "choppy" video? While capturing or when playing the captured video file? There can be a big difference.

What is the graphics card in your laptop?

They don't even make a 4Ghz processor. ;) Your machine should work fine. Which Sony model? If it uses miniDV tape, most likely it is digital - not analog. You should be capturing to DV AVI. Your machine may not be powerful enough to convert to MPEG 2 on the fly.

Where do you see the "choppy" video? While capturing or when playing the captured video file? There can be a big difference.

What is the graphics card in your laptop?

Hi, Walt. I see the choppy videos and hear the choppy audios after Playing the captured video.

My graphics card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 series. I recently checked to make sure that I have the most recent driver.

Can you expound on what you mean that my machine may not be powerful enough to convert MPEG 2 on the fly.
When you use MEdia Import, there are two choices: DV AVI and MPEG 2. What comes out of the camcorder is only DV AVI - the format on the tape. When you choose MPEG 2, Media Import captures the DV AVI and converts to MPEG 2 on the fly and saves it to MPEG 2 file. This takes a fairly fast CPU and hard drive. IF you are capturing to MPEG2, try to capture to DV AVI and see if that plays back better.

Your video should be fine.

When you use MEdia Import, there are two choices: DV AVI and MPEG 2. What comes out of the camcorder is only DV AVI - the format on the tape. When you choose MPEG 2, Media Import captures the DV AVI and converts to MPEG 2 on the fly and saves it to MPEG 2 file. This takes a fairly fast CPU and hard drive. IF you are capturing to MPEG2, try to capture to DV AVI and see if that plays back better.

Your video should be fine.

As it turns out, I have been capturing to DV AVI. I also tried capturing to MPEG, and there seems to be no apparent difference in the outcome. I am really at a loss.

After several times of trying to reinstall Creator 2010, I keep getting an error after about 10 minutes into the download, "Roxio Creator 2010 Pro Wizard was interrupted. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again".

What could be causing this interruption? I have temporarily shut down my anti-virus program as well as my firewall.

Can you help. Thanks, John J. Donadio

After several times of trying to reinstall Creator 2010, I keep getting an error after about 10 minutes into the download, "Roxio Creator 2010 Pro Wizard was interrupted. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again".

What could be causing this interruption? I have temporarily shut down my anti-virus program as well as my firewall.

Can you help. Thanks, John J. Donadio

Do you have the downloaded version or a disc?

You may have to uninstall the program and then re-install. Try Revo Uninstaller in the moderate mode first and then try to reinstall. If that doesn't fix the issue then a clean install is in order.

Make sure your computer is prepared for the installation.