• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

"Hanging" video and "stuttering" audio in VideoWave

Tasijo

Question

I am having problems watching mpg files in Video Wave. After adding a video file and hitting the play button, it will play fine for about 20 seconds, then the audio starts sounding like a scratchy record and the video moves in slow robot motion. I noticed, that the longer I wait to open the video after I added it, the longer it plays fine, until the problem starts again. Also, the more video clips I add, the longer it takes to start playing and then the same issue occurs. :blink:

We have been using this software package for over a year now and the first 9 months or so it worked like a charm and then in the middle of a rather complex video/audio production it started messing up.

I am editing video footage for my husband's country band and we are in dire need of revising our videos for an updated media package to get more shows. So the guys are putting pressure on me....I am recording the footage on a sony harddrive camera and download via USB.

I have spent several weekends browsing the online forum and trying different fixes (DirextX installed, changed from hardware to software rendering, etc.) but so far unsuccessful. I have also de- and reinstalled the program without fixing the issue.

I really like the Roxio applications versus other programs (Adobe Premiere Elements, Windows Movie/DVD Maker and a few other downloads) and would hate to have to switch after all this time.

Software: EMC 10, version 1.0.044.

Computer specs : HP dv 9700 Notebook PC, Windows Vista Home premium sp 1 (I have not installed sp 2 yet, as there seem to be some problems),

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Techn. TL-60, 2 GHz; 4 GB Memory, 64-bit OS, almost 100 GB empty space left on harddrive

Video-Card (or chip??): NIVIDIA GeForce 7150M /nForce 630M (newest driver is installed)

I also have another issue with the MyDVD software: when opening the application it sometimes causes my screen to show lines and big black areas and it becomes unresponsive. I usually have to force-shut-down the laptop just to end this occurrence. This might be a topic for a new post or might be connected to the above issue. As I am not sure, I added it to this one and hope you can let me know how to handle this.

I am not an expert on computers, I find a lot of things by trial and error (and then want to smack my head against the wall), so please be patient with me.

Thank you for any advice!

9 answers to this question

First get rid of all trash files on your computer. Use CCleaner. Remove all unwanted and trial programs using Revo Uninstaller in the moderate mode. Defrag using Auslogics defragmenter. Disconnect from the Internet and turn off all other running programs including anti-malware and antivirus.

Do your editing in Video Wave; not in MyDVD. Open Video Wave and go to the top menu, tools, options and put a dot next to software.

Try again and wait. Hint: Click to show audio envelope to watch the audio wave form. Wait until it display to the end to start editing. That notebook will be adequate but slow.

Edited by sknis

You are experiencing over heating problems with your laptop. You might want to try a laptop cooling device as a last resort. Do a google on HP NVIDIA issues and you will find out plenty. I have a similar laptop but HP indicates that it was built after the problem of over heating discovred and corrected. Lucky me I think.

You are experiencing over heating problems with your laptop. You might want to try a laptop cooling device as a last resort. Do a google on HP NVIDIA issues and you will find out plenty. I have a similar laptop but HP indicates that it was built after the problem of over heating discovred and corrected. Lucky me I think.

Thanks, Dave, for the advice. That is an interesting suggestion... BTW: I have been using a cooling fan mat since I got the notebook and it is always on.

I did some research and the HP website said that my notebook model might be eligible for a new battery (among soooo many other models). But when I tried to run the eligibility test online I could not find the battery serial number (on backside of battery??) and could not complete the test. I might have to come back to this.

I will add more info in my reply to the other post.

First get rid of all trash files on your computer. Use CCleaner. Remove all unwanted and trial programs using Revo Uninstaller in the moderate mode. Defrag using Auslogics defragmenter. Disconnect from the Internet and turn off all other running programs including anti-malware and antivirus.

Do your editing in Video Wave; not in MyDVD. Open Video Wave and go to the top menu, tools, options and put a dot next to software.

Try again and wait. Hint: Click to show audio envelope to watch the audio wave form. Wait until it display to the end to start editing. That notebook will be adequate but slow.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I had my computer defragged a few days before posting so I skipped that step. But I installed and ran the CCleaner, which was also recommended to me from another source and that made some difference in the overall performance of the PC. I combed through and uninstalled all unwanted programs.

Immediately after those steps, when I tried Videowave that day with the firewall and antivirus disabled it seemed to work just fine, no hang-ups and the reaction time to adding files was about 2-3 seconds faster (that was after several hours of the notebook running, so I guess the heat, like suggested in the other reply, could not have been the problem).

I then took a day off today to finally work on my video project, but lo and behold, the program showed the same issues as before (video and sound stutter after a certain time period of watching). So I went back and did a clean uninstall and reinstall following instructions in Knowledgebase Article 000127CR (took about 1.5 hours to complete everything).

And now I have the additional problem that Video Wave will not even let me add the video files (all mpegs) anymore, which was working slow but ok before the reinstall. The error message I am getting is "The following codecs must be activated before using the application: MPEG-2". When I click Ok I get another error message saying "No permission - bad installation". I have not had time yet to check the other applications, to see if they are working fine.

Do I need to reinstall again? Do I need to download the missing codecs online and if so, where? And I still have the issue with the slow processing (changing the rendering for hardware to software and back did not make a difference).

I am a little disappointed, as my notebook is only about 1 year old and I bought it specifically for photo and video editing. It certainly fulfills the minimum requirements for ECM 10 by far, so could you give me a little hint regarding what component makes is so "slow" for working with these programs?

BTW: I am having a hard time finding postings on the forum that match my problems and usually spend 1-2 hours every time I am looking for something just reading the entries. The keyword search does not work that well. Maybe this might be something to improve.... Thank you.

I know it has been a while since this posting, but I still would like to know what makes my laptop slow when it comes to video editing. I am looking at replacing my desktop pretty soon and will certainly install EMC or similar current product on the new machine. Beside more RAM and faster harddrive what do you recommend I need to look out for, so that this suite will run better?

I know it has been a while since this posting, but I still would like to know what makes my laptop slow when it comes to video editing. I am looking at replacing my desktop pretty soon and will certainly install EMC or similar current product on the new machine. Beside more RAM and faster harddrive what do you recommend I need to look out for, so that this suite will run better?

How much video editing do you intend to do? Almost any desktop except the bottom of the line will work better than your laptop. If you are going to do a lot of video and audio editing, buy what you can afford. If you have a few $$ left after paying the Holiday bills and money set aside for taxes, look at desktops that are for "gaming".

These usually have the internal video and sound cards (I like ATI video cards and Sound Blaster audio cards). I'm not sure how much gain you will get with the faster hard drive. Memory is limited unless you go to 64 bit OS; which may not be what you want to do but it looks like W7 64bit is pretty much standard.

Dell's XPS or Alienware desktops are popular. HP High Performance should meet your needs. There are a lot of designer computer builders out there so look around. I'm partial to Velocity Micro but they tend to be somewhat more expensive. Look at the Edge Z30 if you can afford it.

Almost any desktop with a quad core will run much better than your laptop. What do you have now?

BTW, you will have to upgrade to Creator 2010 to assure compatibility with W7.

Edited by sknis

How much video editing do you intend to do? Almost any desktop except the bottom of the line will work better than your laptop. If you are going to do a lot of video and audio editing, buy what you can afford. If you have a few $$ left after paying the Holiday bills and money set aside for taxes, look at desktops that are for "gaming".

These usually have the internal video and sound cards (I like ATI video cards and Sound Blaster audio cards). I'm not sure how much gain you will get with the faster hard drive. Memory is limited unless you go to 64 bit OS; which may not be what you want to do but it looks like W7 64bit is pretty much standard.

Dell's XPS or Alienware desktops are popular. HP High Performance should meet your needs. There are a lot of designer computer builders out there so look around. I'm partial to Velocity Micro but they tend to be somewhat more expensive. Look at the Edge Z30 if you can afford it.

Almost any desktop with a quad core will run much better than your laptop. What do you have now?

BTW, you will have to upgrade to Creator 2010 to assure compatibility with W7.

Steve, thank you so much for your informative post, especially the links. I am definitely looking for a quad-core processor and the 64 OS and was going to spend about $600-800. I have to admit I am a loyal HP customer, so your second link was very much appreciated. And as I don't know much about video and audio cards your recommendation means a lot to me.

Yes, I definitely will want Win 7 on the new machine, so thanks for the info about the required update. I also plan to upgrade my laptop to Win 7 (finally having two computers with the same OS, that can be networked, yeah!). So my next question is, do I have to have two separate Creator licenses, or do you have multi-computer offers? This might have to go into a separated thread, but I leave it up to you guys...

My video editing will probably evolve more this coming year. I have an archive of about 120 GB of Mpeg video files from my husband's band performances from the last two years and am working on video compilations to include in our media package.

Here are my specs:

Software: EMC 10, version 10.1.226

laptop: HP dv 9700 Notebook PC, Windows Vista Home premium sp 1, AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Techn. TL-60, 2 GHz; 4 GB Memory, 64-bit OS, NIVIDIA GeForce 7150M /nForce 630M

desktop: HP Pavilion a1120n, Windows XP, Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Intel 915GV (??, hope this is right) integrated video memory (128 MB allocated)