• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Video Capture Performance Question

Sandy Wood

Question

I'm running Easy VHS to DVD on a systems with Windows 7, 1GB Ram, 2GHz cpu. I've found that capturing video from VHS is a bit choppy when configured at 720x480, AVI. However if I step it down to half that resolution, the video and audio captures smoothly. My guess is that my system just doesn't have the horsepower to take in all the bits that 720x480 can generate. Short of recording at a lower resolution, is there anything else I could do to make the video capture smoother?

3 answers to this question

Interesting…

A 2Ghz is near the lower limit but not at it!

If you are capturing from a VHS source, you are not dealing with the best quality, thus you do not want to degrade it anymore than it is!

These are the factors – DV requires the least burden of the CPU but because of the large mass of data, shifts the burden to the HDD.

Whereas DV HQ shifts the burden to the CPU but minimizes the burden of the HDD.

DV is what you want to use, but you have to make sure that your HDD has plenty of free space and that space must be defragmented!!!

That will give you a couple of things to look for.

Couple of general questions for you??? Did your version come with SP2 on it? If so, what is the full Version Number (Help-About)???

Interesting…

A 2Ghz is near the lower limit but not at it!

If you are capturing from a VHS source, you are not dealing with the best quality, thus you do not want to degrade it anymore than it is!

These are the factors – DV requires the least burden of the CPU but because of the large mass of data, shifts the burden to the HDD.

Whereas DV HQ shifts the burden to the CPU but minimizes the burden of the HDD.

DV is what you want to use, but you have to make sure that your HDD has plenty of free space and that space must be defragmented!!!

That will give you a couple of things to look for.

Couple of general questions for you??? Did your version come with SP2 on it? If so, what is the full Version Number (Help-About)???

Thanks for the response to my post. After sending this question, I discovered I had the USB connector plugged into an older USB port, not one of the USB 2.0 ports on my computer. That change seemed to make a bit of a difference however I still got some hiccups recording at DV rate.

I was successful in recording a clean bit of VHS in DVD - SP mode. That streamed clean to my computer. I would like to get the DV to record but I'm wondering if you can really expect DV resolution on a VHS recording. Doesn't VHS resolution run at half the DV mode? I ran the Windows defragmenter and it came back saying there was no fragmentation, somehow I can't quite believe it.

I'll give the DV-HQ mode a try and see if that works any better. It sounds like the HD is key in recording here. Perhaps I should invest in a new 10k RPM drive and see if that makes any difference.

I did get SP2 with the program when I bought it. The program installs and runs fine, no problems so far. I just think I may need a bit more horsepower to make the recordings go a bit better.

I am surprise it would even capture in anything less than a USB port2. Normally all you get is an error screen.

You really, really, really don’t ever want to record at anything less than DV HQ…

Send me that full version number.

Did I mention: You really, really, really don’t ever want to record at anything less than DV HQ…

What are your PC specs, like I list in my signature, + your HDD free space?

Did I mention: You really, really, really don’t ever want to record at anything less than DV HQ… :D