What's "Media Manager" for? Just appeared

gfcatlanta

Question

I'm using a WinXP-pro PC. This "Media Manager" icon in task bar just appeared. If I double-click, it brings up a window entitled "Watched Folder Settings", which has a directory of every folder under 'My Documents'. This all looks like it belongs to Roxio, especially since it says it keeps "Smart Views" up to date. Only recent changes to PC are, I think, are...

-a routine Windows update

-UNinstalled some old Roxio CD drag-to-disk and Sonic MyDVD movie maker things

-Installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 8 (plainversion/English)...has drag-to-disk, movie making, sound, backup, etc.

-Installed a major OutlookWithBCM update that puts data into a SQL server database instead of Outlook's own

So, please excuse newbie questions, but ...

1) What is this "Media Manager" thing, is it "really" necessary?

2) If this is running in background, is it taking up memory and/or processor speed?

3) Do I "really" need smart views up to date?

4) If I want to "update" smart views, how do manually?

5) What happens if I click STOP in the Watched Folder Settings window?

6) Can I delete or disable this, wondered how so it doesn't appear when start PC?

Thanks,

George

7 answers to this question

In msconfig, it looks like Roxio has at least 4 things either running or ready-to-run

MSCONFIG

1) RoxMediaDB Running

2) RoxUPnPRenderer Stopped

3) RoxUpnpServer Stopped

4) Roxio Hard Drive Watcher Running

WIN TASK MGR (alt)(cntl)(del)

a) RoxMediaDB.exe 28,356K Memory

B) RoxWatch.exe 4,772K Memory

c) RoxWatchTray.exe 9,736K Memory

I was wondering which of these should be unchecked in MSCONFIG so that, upon startup, MediaManager won't appear and/or have liberty to change my filedates at will

What if I uncheck all of them, would the still get started if I ever clicked on a program that needed them? So why not uncheck and save the memory, and speed up the PC?

This Memory Manager has to go, it's really unacceptable for a rogue program from any manufacturer/developer to ever change entire batches of file information at will--or even single files--without knowledge or option of user.

Thanks,

George

In msconfig, it looks like Roxio has at least 4 things either running or ready-to-run

MSCONFIG

1) RoxMediaDB Running

2) RoxUPnPRenderer Stopped

3) RoxUpnpServer Stopped

4) Roxio Hard Drive Watcher Running

WIN TASK MGR (alt)(cntl)(del)

a) RoxMediaDB.exe 28,356K Memory

:) RoxWatch.exe 4,772K Memory

c) RoxWatchTray.exe 9,736K Memory

I was wondering which of these should be unchecked in MSCONFIG so that, upon startup, MediaManager won't appear and/or have liberty to change my filedates at will

What if I uncheck all of them, would the still get started if I ever clicked on a program that needed them? So why not uncheck and save the memory, and speed up the PC?

This Memory Manager has to go, it's really unacceptable for a rogue program from any manufacturer/developer to ever change entire batches of file information at will--or even single files--without knowledge or option of user.

Thanks,

George

I set all of those to manual, under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

1) It does as its name implies: keeps track of and manages your media files like MP3s, wav, MPG, AVI, etc. It is necessary? If you use Media manager, yes.

2) Yes, it is memory resident, but only uses CPU when needed like you just ripped a CD to your hard drive. Will will index those.

3) & 4) Sorry don't know

5) Stopping 'Watched folders' will prevent any new added files to those folders from being indexed and they will not show up in certain parts of Media Manager

6) Two ways: If you know how to use msconfig, you can keep it from loading at boot up or go to the Control Panel / Add Remove Apps and select EMC8. Click CHANGE. You can then remove Media Manager.

Removing Media Manager does not prevent you from using any other application in the suite.

I transferred jpg files from one PC to another over a LAN last night. At the completion of the transfer my originating XP PC came to a near complete stop. It was then I discovered that "Media Manager" had appeared on my lower right hand running program list. I was puzzled about what was going on to cause my PC to stumble. Could it be "Media Manager?" After a very time consuming XP shut down, which took almost forever, and subsequest restart I was able to get my PC running at reasonable speed again with "Media Manager" toggled off. I then started noticing that my Spy Sweeper has started beeping a few times at startup.

Did Roxio somehow sneak this program onto my computer start up when my back was turned? If so I am really (fill in the blank).

I transferred jpg files from one PC to another over a LAN last night. At the completion of the transfer my originating XP PC came to a near complete stop. It was then I discovered that "Media Manager" had appeared on my lower right hand running program list. I was puzzled about what was going on to cause my PC to stumble. Could it be "Media Manager?" After a very time consuming XP shut down, which took almost forever, and subsequest restart I was able to get my PC running at reasonable speed again with "Media Manager" toggled off. I then started noticing that my Spy Sweeper has started beeping a few times at startup.

Did Roxio somehow sneak this program onto my computer start up when my back was turned? If so I am really (fill in the blank).

They didn't sneak it in. You installed it when you installed the suite. It is an invasive, unecessary program. Disable it in msconfig. It won't bother you again.

BTW, some folks use the Media Manager, but I have no use for it, whatsoever.

Archived