Video Copy & Convert Problem

gary_morris

Question

Brand new install of Windows 7 Professional 32bit on a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop. Updated all the patches for Roxio 2010 and am on SP1.

I am trying to convert a DVD video to .mp4 using the iPhone output option. If the DVD is in the DVD drive and I choose "Add Source" - Movies, I point the media selector to the path d: which is my DVD drive with the DVD video inserted. I then select the movie that appears, click ok, and a pop up appears saying Video Copy & Convert "Caching Title". It goes thru this "Caching Title" process for about 30 minutes, then when it finishes, I can finally attempt the conversion process. This is where the problems begin. There is an adjustment bar that you can choose how you want to out put your .mp4 and you can choose from small file size to highest quality. Since my objective is to put this .mp4 on my iPhone, I slide the bar all the way over to the small file size option. Then I select the -> Green Arrow which starts the conversion process. The problem here is that the conversion process does not make a small file size even though I slid the bar all the way over to the left and selected Small File Size. The .mp4 came out over 10 Gigabytes. I heard there could be some issues converting directly from the DVD drive, so next I tried to copy the DVD over to my hard drive. By doing this, it bypasses the "Caching Title" process and allows you to start the conversion right away. Now for the BIGGEST BUG yet with Video Copy & Convert. The conversion process directly from the hard drive creates a never ending .mp4 file that keeps growing and growing until your hard drive it completely full. I ended up with a 350GB file that was so corrupted, that I trashed it and have now given up using the Video Copy & Convert tool all together. It looks like Roxio never bothered testing this application with Windows 7 and I would avoid buying this product at all costs until the bugs are worked out. If you ever try to cancel the caching title process or the conversion process in the middle, this app will not quit and just hangs. You must go into Task Manager and force it to quit which takes about 10 tries since clicking on it to force quit does not work right away. I've used Roxio products over the years, and never saw anything like this before and I am deeply dissappointed they would rush this version out in the state it is in. <_<

20 answers to this question

Nobody else ever had the result you did, so it is most likely a problem with your install...

There is a Repair option in Add/Remove Programs for 2010. Run that!

After that, try the same conversion using the VideoWave program instead. Then try it again in VCC.

Please report back with your results. (they are different programs so they should behave differently)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Nobody else ever had the result you did, so it is most likely a problem with your install...

After that, try the same conversion using the VideoWave program instead. Then try it again in VCC.

Please report back with your results. (they are different programs so they should behave differently)

Have tried repair. Get the same results. Have tried uninstall and full resinstall and get the same results. Haven't tried the VideoWave program. Will try it and report back.

Jim,

VideoWave successfully converted the DVD file format into .MP4 format, but the steps you need to take to do this vs VCC are more detailed. I'd rather have a working version and not bugged version of VCC. Also, in VCC it has true Iphone modules whereas Vidowave must use iPhone/Ipod together which does not create the 480x320 necessary to get the true native resolution for the iPhone. The only choices in VW are 320 or 640x and not 480x320.

I'd like to know if you or anyone else here has tried converting a DVD into .Mp4 format using the Iphone option with VCC with Windows 7 and had success. I have over 20 years of IT expertise and have done all the basic troubleshooting from repair to reinstall to making sure all patches have been applied and have come to the conclusion that there is a serious flaw in the programming code with the VCC application with Windows 7.

What file size did you start with?

Was it in a VOB format?

cd

The files were in VOB format and off the top of my head, I forget what the total size was they started off as, but I'd say less than 4GB since it was a typical 90 minute movie. How a 4GB conversion expanded into a 300GB file is beyond me, but I'd say VCC has some serious flaws and that Roxio needs to address with those using Windows 7.

Jim,

VideoWave successfully converted the DVD file format into .MP4 format, but the steps you need to take to do this vs VCC are more detailed. I'd rather have a working version and not bugged version of VCC. Also, in VCC it has true Iphone modules whereas Vidowave must use iPhone/Ipod together which does not create the 480x320 necessary to get the true native resolution for the iPhone. The only choices in VW are 320 or 640x and not 480x320.

I'd like to know if you or anyone else here has tried converting a DVD into .Mp4 format using the Iphone option with VCC with Windows 7 and had success. I have over 20 years of IT expertise and have done all the basic troubleshooting from repair to reinstall to making sure all patches have been applied and have come to the conclusion that there is a serious flaw in the programming code with the VCC application with Windows 7.

The files were in VOB format and off the top of my head, I forget what the total size was they started off as, but I'd say less than 4GB since it was a typical 90 minute movie. How a 4GB conversion expanded into a 300GB file is beyond me, but I'd say VCC has some serious flaws and that Roxio needs to address with those using Windows 7.

Using the Iphone conversion option in VCC, VCC converted my file to 320x240..

I do have W 7 Pro X64 on another hard drive, is that what your running? I could install Creator 2010 and check it for you there?

Yesterday I did a short test in Vista X32 SP1, Roxio Creator 2010 no SP applied..

VTS_01_1.VOB 137 MB (143,884,288 bytes) on the hard drive, 9min 21sec, followed the OP's instructions (moved bar to the smallest size), made a MP4 File (.mp4) 26.5 MB (27,889,664 bytes).

Took one minute to convert and played fine in VLC.

post-97-1257549085.jpg

cd

I do have W 7 Pro X64 on another hard drive, is that what your running? I could install Creator 2010 and check it for you there?

Yesterday I did a short test in Vista X32 SP1, Roxio Creator 2010 no SP applied..

VTS_01_1.VOB 137 MB (143,884,288 bytes) on the hard drive, 9min 21sec, followed the OP's instructions (moved bar to the smallest size), made a MP4 File (.mp4) 26.5 MB (27,889,664 bytes).

post-97-1257549085.jpg

cd

I am using Windows 7 Professional 32bit version. The Iphone conversion option in VCC just won't work correctly no matter what I try and moving the bar to the smallest size doesn't seem to make any difference. You said you tested this using Vista which is a completely different written OS than Windows 7. Even though you have the x64 version, I would very much like to hear what happens when you test VCC in that OS. Thanks!!

I am using Windows 7 Professional 32bit version. The Iphone conversion option in VCC just won't work correctly no matter what I try and moving the bar to the smallest size doesn't seem to make any difference. You said you tested this using Vista which is a completely different written OS than Windows 7. Even though you have the x64 version, I would very much like to hear what happens when you test VCC in that OS. Thanks!!

We can do that for you Gary. :)

With "20 years of IT expertise" we both know W 7 is just Vista, SE Edition.... ;)

cd

Hi Guys,

Sorry to be late to the party but we're spring-cleaning here and it's hard to get a couple of hours end-to-end to do anything.

Installed 32-bit Windows 7 on a 50 GB partition, with Creator 2010 Pro, SP1.

Copied a 4,700 MB DVD onto the hard drive and ran Video Copy and Convert.

Selected the DVD folder as the source, and set iPhone and smallest file size for destination.

It took 2hrs 30 minutes, using 100% CPU, to convert the 92 minute movie to a 547 MB MP4 file.

post-208-1257582953.jpg

It all ran nicely. There were no hiccups!! :(

Nothing overflowed, and the MP4 plays happily in Windows Media Player or VLC player. [i forgot I was supposed to play it in VLC player, so I had to go install that too :) ]

I'm afraid I couldn't get Video Copy and Convert to misbehave on my system. I converted a few shorter clips to DVD and then to MP4, and also converted some straight to MP4 without going to DVD first. It worked fine.

I still have everything installed on that hard drive if you need me to check anything else about it or run a different test.

Regards,

Brendon

There is an adjustment bar that you can choose how you want to out put your .mp4 and you can choose from small file size to highest quality. Since my objective is to put this .mp4 on my iPhone, I slide the bar all the way over to the small file size option.

Thanks Brendon,

The only difference I see is the Resolution, your 480 x 320, my 320 x 240....

When I selected Iphone the quality slider defaulted to about a 1/4 inch from far left, I then took my mouse and slid it as far left as it would go (Gary's instructions) small file size. Maybe I didn't understand Gary's instructions?

Is that what you did, just picked iphone and the slider defaulted (1/4 inch from far left) and let it convert?

That would explain the difference in Resolution.

I went back and clicked the custom button bottom right, then set it to DVD and clicked Defaults. I did the same with iPhone and clicked Defaults, the slider Defaulted in the same place as the first time and the Resolution on my system sets to 320x240 Data Rate 500kbps. If I move the slider all the way left the resolution stays at 320x240 but the Data Rate lowers to 216kbps..

How are you getting 480x320?? Or did C 2010 SP1 change something??

Vista SP1 x32 Creator 2010 NO SP1

post-97-1257600368.jpg

post-97-1257600376.jpg

post-97-1257600383.jpg

cd

Edited by cdanteek

From what I have seen the Slider only changes the Data Rate and nothing else.

The resolution is something you have to pick from the dropbox with Custom button expanded:

post-39730-1257601979.jpg

Forget the data rate for now Jim.

Yes, I can change the resolution to 480x320 with the Custom button expanded, when I click 'Choose Output' DVD and go back 'Choose Output' to iPhone it defaults back to 320x240.

If you click the different choices 'Choose Output' with the Custom button expanded,

the Resolutation Defaults change and some stay the same as the iPhone 320x240. Don't yours change Jim?

So the iPhone Default on mine atleast, is 320x240. That is what I'm questioning, how Brendon gets 480x320, did he set it to that with the

Custom button expanded or when he 'Choose Output iPhone' it Defaulted to 480x320?? Is that my Vista x32 SP1 C2010 no SP1 compared to Brendon's W7 x32 C2010 Sp1?? If so why, a change in SP1??

cd

Mines the same as Brendon (W7 X64) and I had the slider all the way to the left and did not change any of the default settings. I don't know why cd's is different except maybe for the version of the codecs on our machines (that's just a very wild guess).

post-79-1257610297.jpg

Opened VLC and the Codec Details shows the following for a VCC conversion I did on my Vista 32bit and C2010 Pro/SP1. Theoriginal DVD was a 6 min/18 sec. movie.

Frank...

Here are some screen shots of the same VCC conversion, only on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit computer. Using C2010 Pro/SP1:

Frank...

In Vista x64 WITHOUT 2010 SP1 installed I got this:

post-79-1257617739.jpg

Don't know why default was set to mpeg3 320x240 on 2 systems (1 SP1 and 1 not) and set to H.264 480x320 on another system (SP1). I don't think having SP1 installed makes any difference.

post-97-1257549085.jpg

cd

Why does my Roxio 2010 not have VLC? Where do I find this codec info that you have posted here?

Well I have the exact same problem as the OP :unsure: Clean install of Windows 7 x64, I've not been able to create a single file capable of being played on my iPod Touch. I've attempted ripping a DVD and converting using the standard iPod Touch selection as well as attempted to covert an Xvid file using the same preset setting. Every time I convert the file, I get nothing but a completely filed 500GB hard drive and an unresponsive Roxio program that I must force quit with Task Manager.

Update: I was able to successfully convert an Xvid file and have it imported into iTunes.....only to be told by iTunes that the file format was not supported by the iPod Touch. I'm stunned as I had selected "iPod Touch" in the menu for converting.

The same Xvid file was converted by Handbrake and subsequently transferred to my iPod Touch with zero issues.

What is wrong with Roxio?