• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 10 - menu text missing

Ian Osborne

Question

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I work with a macbook pro 2X2,7 Ghz, Leopard and I'm trying toast 10.7 (after 10, 10.2...) and with Elgato Turbo h264 HD.

I started by importing movies in pro res 422 1080/1920 progressive 25 f/s with DVD SP markers (they appear in DVD SP).

My chapters dont appear in Toast

I tried H264 compression via Elgato Turbo : the pictures are excellent, but no chapters in Toast...

Is there something to do to get the markers appear in Toast 10 (.2 or .7) ?

Do I need "chapters automatic" or "chapters off" ?

Is there something to do in Elgato presets (chapters on, chapters off or automatic).

Thanks for your answer,

Best regards,

Thierry Lafond

Please repost this as a new topic in the forum as it is a different issue. Also, please describe what kind of disc you are trying to create. Is it Blu-ray?

This problem is only with G5 Macs. Sorry about getting the last working version wrong.

Wow, this is huge for us G5 folks. When you add in the -18771 error issues, it's clear that G5 users should stick to 10.0.2.

I've asked before but I'll ask again - What are we missing by being "stuck" back at 10.0.2? I'm trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of 10.0.2 versus, say, 10.0.7.

No it doesn't. If you are using a G5 Mac do not use a version of Toast later than 10.0.3. If you don't have that version contact Roxio support to see if they can link you to it. I've asked them to make it available on the software updates page but it isn't there.

Bloody hell, this is getting ridiculous. Do you know if the problem arises on later Macs, or is it just PPCs? Also, it's 10.0.2 we have to use, not 10.0.3.

I don't have Toast 10 But I had the same problem with Toast 7, And I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same issue:

MISSING FONTS. (or rather NO WORKING FONT SUBSTITUTION)

Toast counts on you having all the system fonts enabled, further, font managers don't seem to get a call for the missing font (possibly cuz it's embedded in the Photoshop template), further - Toast simply won't substitute any other font, put out any error message, NADA...

I found this out by opening one of Toasts themes in Photoshop. In my case, it wanted Gill Sans.dfont

So... If you're running Tiger or even Leopard on G5 it's possible you don't have the exact fonts used in the Menu/

You could quickly test to see if this is the problem by opening the template in Pshop (if you have it).

I'd be interested in knowing if this is the problem BEFORE I purchase v10

The missing fonts issue got fixed in later versions of Toast. This menu text issue is specific to G4 and G5 Macs with Toast 10.0.3 or later. Intel Macs don't have this issue. If you have a G4 or G5 Mac I recommend buying Toast 9 rather than Toast 10. Both are sold as downloads from the Roxio store.

I currently have both 10.0.2 and 10.0.7 installed. It doesn't seem to cause any problems having both versions. I installed the 10.0.7 folder of all applications then just added the 10.0.2 version of Toast itself to the same folder. Then if you want menu text use 10.0.2, if you want chapter markers use 10.0.7. If you want both, then tough luck :D

The last message I got from Roxio Support about this issue was on 1 June saying:

We are currently looking into the issue and we will provide an update as soon as we receive more information. A time frame (short- or long-term) for the issue to be addressed by the engineering department cannot be provided. Immediate and short term attention cannot be assumed.

Then on 2 June they closed my ticket. So I guess they won't "provide an update as soon as we receive more information". In fact they won't do anything at all, they'll just forget about it.

So I'm looking for an alternative programme to Toast for my specific disc burning needs. That's quite hard as Toast has many excellent features, but based on my dire experience with their support organisation and other customers' experiences reported here, I would rather not waste any more time (or money) on Roxio/Sonic products. I have used every version of Toast more or less since it was invented (by Adaptec), and I have Roxio Creator on a PC, but things seemed to go downhill after Sonic acquired Roxio. Pity.

On a lighter note, Sonic obviously based their customer support on this.

Wow, this is huge for us G5 folks. When you add in the -18771 error issues, it's clear that G5 users should stick to 10.0.2.

I've asked before but I'll ask again - What are we missing by being "stuck" back at 10.0.2? I'm trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of 10.0.2 versus, say, 10.0.7.

Probably the best way to come close to an answer is to review the changes Roxio posted here. What makes sense to me is to install the Toast 10.0.7 download as the complete folder of apps while retaining the earlier version of Toast as an individual application for use on those projects where 10.0.7 doesn't work for you. It's nuts but it's what works best.

Bloody hell, this is getting ridiculous. Do you know if the problem arises on later Macs, or is it just PPCs? Also, it's 10.0.2 we have to use, not 10.0.3.

This problem is only with G5 Macs. Sorry about getting the last working version wrong.

Just tried 10.0.7 but still no menu text. So I'm adding my voice to this item. Another G5 user here.

As someone else commented, it is rather surprising that this bug still persists after many months and 5 bug fix releases.

I've just found a phone number for Roxio support, so will try that to see if they can shed any light on the issue.

I wouldn't hold your breath!

Same problem with me....

I have 10.0.8 running on a G5 Quad with 10.5.8 and a Pioneer 205 BluRay burner - everything works EXCEPT NO disc menu's nor chapter menus - have wasted several expensive BluRay Discs trying to get some TEXT - but nothing..... Simply will NOT print the names of the movies onto the Menu???

Will try the 10.0.2 link

The only thing I can suggest is trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast 10. When you make a video DVD choose Save as Disc Image so you can preview the resulting menu with DVD player (after mounting the disc image file). Also do a test with different menu templates. Let us know if this changes anything.

That would be useful. Do share what they say.

Interim Update:

Having discovered that the phone call was going to cost me GBP1 per minute, I decided against that route! So I tried raising a ticket. This elicited the usual "we didn't bother reading your ticket but here's a generic set of things to try relevant to the category of fault you selected" response. Totally unhelpful.

So I then tried Live Chat. This is technical support for the ultra-patient. The operator was clearly dealing with at least 20 other customers, so it took an hour to get the most elementary advice, which was: do a complete un-install, then re-install and see if that helps. I guess this is the software equivalent of "try switching it off and back on again".

So I jumped through the hoop and did it. Made no difference at all. I've updated my ticket and await a further response. I have explicitly asked if this has been formally registered as a bug by the development team and if so, when a fix is expected. I'm not optimistic I'll get an answer to that!

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but getting tech support from Roxio seems a bit like wading through treacle...

Edit: Just downloaded 10.0.2 from the link provided by Firenhancer earlier in this thread. Installed it alongside 10.0.7. I now have menu text back again when I use the 10.0.2 app bundle. Will update the thread again when I get something useful from Roxio Support.

The failure to write text to disk in Toast 10 is NOT confined to DVD's OR to G5 Macs. I have the same issue with failure to write text to CD's and I am on an Intel MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.4. What is common with my experience, however, is the unethical Roxio customer interface; it is a sham. This is confirmed by other distraught customers' reporting on this site. After weeks of useless correspondence displaying stunningly obvious disregard for the information I have repeatedly provided, I have faced the illusion that I am dealing with a responsible business. Moreover, it is a failure in basic business-practice terms, not only in the ill-will such irresponsible behavior engenders, but in the practice of OFFERING or giving refunds rather than conscientiously addressing confirmed bugs in their software. The bug in the software is nothing compared to the infection compromising their character. A most unfortunate choice - for all. Yo, Sonic, what goes around comes around. All the way to bottom lines.

I have had Toast 10 about a week or two and immediately upgraded to 10.0.6. Your topic has been on since November last year, it is now May, 2010. And I have no menue texts. I am rather surprised: shouldn't Roxio have been able to fix this problem in half a year?

I have a PowerBook G4 17" 1,33 MHz with MacOS 10.5.8.

Interim Update:

Having discovered that the phone call was going to cost me GBP1 per minute, I decided against that route! So I tried raising a ticket. This elicited the usual "we didn't bother reading your ticket but here's a generic set of things to try relevant to the category of fault you selected" response. Totally unhelpful.

So I then tried Live Chat. This is technical support for the ultra-patient. The operator was clearly dealing with at least 20 other customers, so it took an hour to get the most elementary advice, which was: do a complete un-install, then re-install and see if that helps. I guess this is the software equivalent of "try switching it off and back on again".

So I jumped through the hoop and did it. Made no difference at all. I've updated my ticket and await a further response. I have explicitly asked if this has been formally registered as a bug by the development team and if so, when a fix is expected. I'm not optimistic I'll get an answer to that!

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but getting tech support from Roxio seems a bit like wading through treacle...

Edit: Just downloaded 10.0.2 from the link provided by Firenhancer earlier in this thread. Installed it alongside 10.0.7. I now have menu text back again when I use the 10.0.2 app bundle. Will update the thread again when I get something useful from Roxio Support.

I don't know what you expect from Roxio support. It is a bug and the only workaround is to use !0.0.2 on your Mac for video DVD projects. I suppose it would be nice if their support folks knew about this and would just say "Sorry" and give you a link to a 10.0.2 download. But that's the best you can hope for. Their technical folks have been told about it.

Archived