• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Ian Osborne

Toast 10 - menu text missing

Question

Does anyone have any idea why, when I burn a DVD with a menu, no text appears on the menu screen? It always did before, with Toast 9.

Also, is anyone else having problems quitting Toast 10? When I try to close the app, it crashes instead.

The only thing I can suggest is trashing the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunching Toast 10. When you make a video DVD choose Save as Disc Image so you can preview the resulting menu with DVD player (after mounting the disc image file). Also do a test with different menu templates. Let us know if this changes anything.

I tried that, but I still get text-free menus. :(

Does anyone else have any ideas?

ETA: It still crashes instead of quitting properly too. Is anyone else having these problems?

Second edit: I'm running Toast 10.0.4 on a G5 1.8GHz, under Leopard 10.5.8. I'm using an external burner, but as saving as a disc image made no difference, I presume this isn't a factor.

Edited by Ian Osborne

I just had exactly the same problem after upgrading to 10.04, i'm running 10.5.8 on a G5.

after 4 hours of trashing prefs, reinstalling etc i found a 10.02 in my downloads folder and installed that. problem solved.

cheers

Roy

i found a 10.02 in my downloads folder and installed that. problem solved.

Hey, thanks for that! :)

I've got 10.0.3 on a disc, and am installing it now. I'll try it out when I get back from work and let you know how I get on.

Does anyone from Roxio have any thoughts on this? Is there a known bug in 10.0.4 that stops people - or at least Leopard/PPC users - from creating proper menus?

Hey sorry Ian, i should have mentioned i also tried 10.0.3, it has the same problem. you need 10.0.2.

what bothers me is i had been using 10.03 for about a month and i have no idea how many dvds i may have burned without titles, hopefully a couple at most as i mainly use it for audio CDs.

Just to let you know, I found a copy of 10.0.2 on an archive disc and reinstalled it. The menus are working fine now - thanks for your help. :)

I wonder if Roxio is working on a fix?

I am having the same problem, but do not have a 10.0.2 dmg to go back to. overwrote it when I went to 10.0.3 and then 10.0.4.

any idea how to go back there?

TIA

Lars

Try this

You may want to check the links on this post and see if the links to d/l 10.0.2 still work.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=57788

Bob

The above posted link is currently the ONLY active link. I doubt previously discussed links in the post are active.

Edited by firenhancer

ok perhaps I did not make clear. The Uk link functions but offers only 10.0.4 update and not 10.0.2 which is what Lars is looking for :)

indeed 10.0.4 is all around, but 10.0.2 is where I last saw my dvd menu text. I just checked in on the discussion group a few minutes ago. I am downloading the file right now. slow server- may be a while, but thank you for the tip. I ll try it out tomorrow.

lars

So now we're up to 10.0.6. Has anyone tried it yet? Does it fix the menus problem?

No it doesn't. If you are using a G5 Mac do not use a version of Toast later than 10.0.3. If you don't have that version contact Roxio support to see if they can link you to it. I've asked them to make it available on the software updates page but it isn't there.

No it doesn't. If you are using a G5 Mac do not use a version of Toast later than 10.0.3. If you don't have that version contact Roxio support to see if they can link you to it. I've asked them to make it available on the software updates page but it isn't there.

Bloody hell, this is getting ridiculous. Do you know if the problem arises on later Macs, or is it just PPCs? Also, it's 10.0.2 we have to use, not 10.0.3.

Bloody hell, this is getting ridiculous. Do you know if the problem arises on later Macs, or is it just PPCs? Also, it's 10.0.2 we have to use, not 10.0.3.

This problem is only with G5 Macs. Sorry about getting the last working version wrong.

Sorry about getting the last working version wrong.

No problem. :) I only corrected it in case a newcomer with the same issues came across the thread and thought a roll-back to 10.0.3 would solve them.

Edited by Ian Osborne

I have had Toast 10 about a week or two and immediately upgraded to 10.0.6. Your topic has been on since November last year, it is now May, 2010. And I have no menue texts. I am rather surprised: shouldn't Roxio have been able to fix this problem in half a year?

I have a PowerBook G4 17" 1,33 MHz with MacOS 10.5.8.

I don't have Toast 10 But I had the same problem with Toast 7, And I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same issue:

MISSING FONTS. (or rather NO WORKING FONT SUBSTITUTION)

Toast counts on you having all the system fonts enabled, further, font managers don't seem to get a call for the missing font (possibly cuz it's embedded in the Photoshop template), further - Toast simply won't substitute any other font, put out any error message, NADA...

I found this out by opening one of Toasts themes in Photoshop. In my case, it wanted Gill Sans.dfont

So... If you're running Tiger or even Leopard on G5 it's possible you don't have the exact fonts used in the Menu/

You could quickly test to see if this is the problem by opening the template in Pshop (if you have it).

I'd be interested in knowing if this is the problem BEFORE I purchase v10

I don't have Toast 10 But I had the same problem with Toast 7, And I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same issue:

MISSING FONTS. (or rather NO WORKING FONT SUBSTITUTION)

Toast counts on you having all the system fonts enabled, further, font managers don't seem to get a call for the missing font (possibly cuz it's embedded in the Photoshop template), further - Toast simply won't substitute any other font, put out any error message, NADA...

I found this out by opening one of Toasts themes in Photoshop. In my case, it wanted Gill Sans.dfont

So... If you're running Tiger or even Leopard on G5 it's possible you don't have the exact fonts used in the Menu/

You could quickly test to see if this is the problem by opening the template in Pshop (if you have it).

I'd be interested in knowing if this is the problem BEFORE I purchase v10

The missing fonts issue got fixed in later versions of Toast. This menu text issue is specific to G4 and G5 Macs with Toast 10.0.3 or later. Intel Macs don't have this issue. If you have a G4 or G5 Mac I recommend buying Toast 9 rather than Toast 10. Both are sold as downloads from the Roxio store.

Just tried 10.0.7 but still no menu text. So I'm adding my voice to this item. Another G5 user here.

As someone else commented, it is rather surprising that this bug still persists after many months and 5 bug fix releases.

I've just found a phone number for Roxio support, so will try that to see if they can shed any light on the issue.

I've just found a phone number for Roxio support, so will try that to see if they can shed any light on the issue.

That would be useful. Do share what they say.