• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Ian Osborne

Toast 10 - menu text missing

Question

Does anyone have any idea why, when I burn a DVD with a menu, no text appears on the menu screen? It always did before, with Toast 9.

Also, is anyone else having problems quitting Toast 10? When I try to close the app, it crashes instead.

That would be useful. Do share what they say.

Interim Update:

Having discovered that the phone call was going to cost me GBP1 per minute, I decided against that route! So I tried raising a ticket. This elicited the usual "we didn't bother reading your ticket but here's a generic set of things to try relevant to the category of fault you selected" response. Totally unhelpful.

So I then tried Live Chat. This is technical support for the ultra-patient. The operator was clearly dealing with at least 20 other customers, so it took an hour to get the most elementary advice, which was: do a complete un-install, then re-install and see if that helps. I guess this is the software equivalent of "try switching it off and back on again".

So I jumped through the hoop and did it. Made no difference at all. I've updated my ticket and await a further response. I have explicitly asked if this has been formally registered as a bug by the development team and if so, when a fix is expected. I'm not optimistic I'll get an answer to that!

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but getting tech support from Roxio seems a bit like wading through treacle...

Edit: Just downloaded 10.0.2 from the link provided by Firenhancer earlier in this thread. Installed it alongside 10.0.7. I now have menu text back again when I use the 10.0.2 app bundle. Will update the thread again when I get something useful from Roxio Support.

Edited by RobertF

Interim Update:

Having discovered that the phone call was going to cost me GBP1 per minute, I decided against that route! So I tried raising a ticket. This elicited the usual "we didn't bother reading your ticket but here's a generic set of things to try relevant to the category of fault you selected" response. Totally unhelpful.

So I then tried Live Chat. This is technical support for the ultra-patient. The operator was clearly dealing with at least 20 other customers, so it took an hour to get the most elementary advice, which was: do a complete un-install, then re-install and see if that helps. I guess this is the software equivalent of "try switching it off and back on again".

So I jumped through the hoop and did it. Made no difference at all. I've updated my ticket and await a further response. I have explicitly asked if this has been formally registered as a bug by the development team and if so, when a fix is expected. I'm not optimistic I'll get an answer to that!

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical, but getting tech support from Roxio seems a bit like wading through treacle...

Edit: Just downloaded 10.0.2 from the link provided by Firenhancer earlier in this thread. Installed it alongside 10.0.7. I now have menu text back again when I use the 10.0.2 app bundle. Will update the thread again when I get something useful from Roxio Support.

I don't know what you expect from Roxio support. It is a bug and the only workaround is to use !0.0.2 on your Mac for video DVD projects. I suppose it would be nice if their support folks knew about this and would just say "Sorry" and give you a link to a 10.0.2 download. But that's the best you can hope for. Their technical folks have been told about it.

Interim Update:

Good luck with your efforts. I hope your results will be different than mine. I did exactly what you are doing and basically got bounced around from one support person to another. I was never able to determine if it ever was elevated to a more knowledgeable tech support person. All the responses were almost the same with different names for the tech support person. Somehow after about 2-3 weeks of tech support I was given a refund, which was not what I wanted or cared about. I was also told that there would be no further support for me for this problem. So, I am left to believing that any support for Roxio products on the PPC platform is non-existent. Again, IMHO. I would seriously doubt that any future Roxio products will work on a PPC. This isn't unreasonable to me, but what is a bit unnerving is that the product was sold as being compatible with certain PPC macs and it reached a point in the update process that in order to have toast work with intel macs, code was written so that it works with intel macs, but in the process of doing that it broke several components on the ppc side that are not fixable. Again, IMHO. If this is the case, I think Roxio has an obligation to inform its customers.

by intel mac, I mean specifically running snow leopard.

Edited by bohalloran

I don't know what you expect from Roxio support. It is a bug and the only workaround is to use !0.0.2 on your Mac for video DVD projects. I suppose it would be nice if their support folks knew about this and would just say "Sorry" and give you a link to a 10.0.2 download. But that's the best you can hope for. Their technical folks have been told about it.

Hi tsantee, I agree it's a bug and I agree the only workaround is to use 10.0.2. I am now doing that.

I don't expect Roxio support to say "Sorry" - I understand that bugs occur in all software. I do expect them to know about bugs that have been logged by the development team on their defect tracking system. Even one-person developers track bugs. So if, as you have explained, their technical folks have been told about it, I assume it has been logged.

Whilst I appreciate that Roxio support must get a lot of queries from users with straightforward "finger trouble" type issues, I did provide a detailed explanation of my issue in the ticket. I would therefore expect Support to read this, realise it's not a simple case of "finger trouble" and check to see if this is a defect that has already been logged. That surely should be the first step in assessing a report of an issue that seems to be a bug? Otherwise you go round and round the same loop again and again with each new customer who experiences a bug. Which is what I'm doing at the moment, it seems. Hence my note of frustration.

Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to respond. From my readings in these forums you put a huge amount of effort into helping other users to solve their problems with Roxio products and I really appreciate your contributions here.

@bohalloran and Ian Osborne

I have now been asked to provide the output from my System Profiler and a screen shot of a defective DVD menu, which I have done. Hopefully this means someone will investigate further. I'll post back if anything useful transpires...

Whilst I appreciate that Roxio support must get a lot of queries from users with straightforward "finger trouble" type issues, I did provide a detailed explanation of my issue in the ticket. I would therefore expect Support to read this, realise it's not a simple case of "finger trouble" and check to see if this is a defect that has already been logged. That surely should be the first step in assessing a report of an issue that seems to be a bug? Otherwise you go round and round the same loop again and again with each new customer who experiences a bug. Which is what I'm doing at the moment, it seems. Hence my note of frustration.

Thanks. That makes very good sense.

Hi tsantee, I agree it's a bug and I agree the only workaround is to use 10.0.2. I am now doing that.

I don't expect Roxio support to say "Sorry" - I understand that bugs occur in all software. I do expect them to know about bugs that have been logged by the development team on their defect tracking system. Even one-person developers track bugs. So if, as you have explained, their technical folks have been told about it, I assume it has been logged.

Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to respond. From my readings in these forums you put a huge amount of effort into helping other users to solve their problems with Roxio products and I really appreciate your contributions here.

@bohalloran and Ian Osborne

I have now been asked to provide the output from my System Profiler and a screen shot of a defective DVD menu, which I have done. Hopefully this means someone will investigate further. I'll post back if anything useful transpires...

Yes, please do. That would be great. What would be the greatest is if it could be fixed. That would end it all. If not, at least putting a permanent message at the top of the forum that contains the following:

1. A link to 10.0.2 at Roxio.

2. A note indicating that this is a known issue for PPC users that has no fix, so using 10.0.2 is the best available option..

I do hope you are more successful than I in trying to get this issue resolved. My ticket was opened on 12/19/09 and closed on 01/28/10. It had 14 responses from 9 different tech support people and included SP info and a screen shot just as yours. It appeared to me that several of the posts from tech support didn't pay much attention to previous posts as they restated the same steps over and over. Maybe you will get through that.

let's all hope.

...I do hope you are more successful than I in trying to get this issue resolved...

It's not looking likely. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that bashing my head against a concrete wall would be more productive than trying to get a meaningful response from Roxio Support. They clearly don't bother even to read the latest message you have added to the ticket, let alone read the ticket history. I have just had a message suggesting I try changing to a different brand of discs, and asking me to send the output from System Profiler, which if they had bothered to read a few messages on the ticket, they would have found they already have. Yesterday I got a response telling me how much they appreciate hearing from customers and referring me to a page titled "How to have a great Roxio Customer Care experience". Oh, the irony!!

If anyone has any suggestions how I can contact someone in Roxio who is technically competent and interested in actually trying to resolve a genuine bug in the product, do let me know.

It's not looking likely. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that bashing my head against a concrete wall would be more productive than trying to get a meaningful response from Roxio Support. They clearly don't bother even to read the latest message you have added to the ticket, let alone read the ticket history. I have just had a message suggesting I try changing to a different brand of discs, and asking me to send the output from System Profiler, which if they had bothered to read a few messages on the ticket, they would have found they already have. Yesterday I got a response telling me how much they appreciate hearing from customers and referring me to a page titled "How to have a great Roxio Customer Care experience". Oh, the irony!!

If anyone has any suggestions how I can contact someone in Roxio who is technically competent and interested in actually trying to resolve a genuine bug in the product, do let me know.

Roxio's technical folks know about the problem but I don't know what that will lead to. There is a feedback link in Toast Help that you can use.

Roxio's technical folks know about the problem but I don't know what that will lead to. There is a feedback link in Toast Help that you can use.

Thanks tsantee, and thanks also for pointing out this feedback link. I'll give it a try.

Although Roxio's technical folks know about it, it's now 6 months since the bug appeared and there have been 4 bug fix releases since then. But still no fix. Which is why I'm persevering with my effort to try and get an answer from Roxio on whether they plan to fix it. But as you'll be aware, I'm am experiencing the same frustration with Roxio Customer Support as many other customers posting on these forums.

Hello,

I work with a macbook pro 2X2,7 Ghz, Leopard and I'm trying toast 10.7 (after 10, 10.2...) and with Elgato Turbo h264 HD.

I started by importing movies in pro res 422 1080/1920 progressive 25 f/s with DVD SP markers (they appear in DVD SP).

My chapters dont appear in Toast

I tried H264 compression via Elgato Turbo : the pictures are excellent, but no chapters in Toast...

Is there something to do to get the markers appear in Toast 10 (.2 or .7) ?

Do I need "chapters automatic" or "chapters off" ?

Is there something to do in Elgato presets (chapters on, chapters off or automatic).

Thanks for your answer,

Best regards,

Thierry Lafond

Hello,

I work with a macbook pro 2X2,7 Ghz, Leopard and I'm trying toast 10.7 (after 10, 10.2...) and with Elgato Turbo h264 HD.

I started by importing movies in pro res 422 1080/1920 progressive 25 f/s with DVD SP markers (they appear in DVD SP).

My chapters dont appear in Toast

I tried H264 compression via Elgato Turbo : the pictures are excellent, but no chapters in Toast...

Is there something to do to get the markers appear in Toast 10 (.2 or .7) ?

Do I need "chapters automatic" or "chapters off" ?

Is there something to do in Elgato presets (chapters on, chapters off or automatic).

Thanks for your answer,

Best regards,

Thierry Lafond

Please repost this as a new topic in the forum as it is a different issue. Also, please describe what kind of disc you are trying to create. Is it Blu-ray?

This problem is only with G5 Macs. Sorry about getting the last working version wrong.

Wow, this is huge for us G5 folks. When you add in the -18771 error issues, it's clear that G5 users should stick to 10.0.2.

I've asked before but I'll ask again - What are we missing by being "stuck" back at 10.0.2? I'm trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of 10.0.2 versus, say, 10.0.7.

Wow, this is huge for us G5 folks. When you add in the -18771 error issues, it's clear that G5 users should stick to 10.0.2.

I've asked before but I'll ask again - What are we missing by being "stuck" back at 10.0.2? I'm trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of 10.0.2 versus, say, 10.0.7.

Probably the best way to come close to an answer is to review the changes Roxio posted here. What makes sense to me is to install the Toast 10.0.7 download as the complete folder of apps while retaining the earlier version of Toast as an individual application for use on those projects where 10.0.7 doesn't work for you. It's nuts but it's what works best.

<!--quoteo(post=331279:date=Jun 11 2010, 09:17 AM:name=WayneH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WayneH @ Jun 11 2010, 09:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=331279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, this is huge for us G5 folks. When you add in the -18771 error issues, it's clear that G5 users should stick to 10.0.2.

I've asked before but I'll ask again - What are we missing by being "stuck" back at 10.0.2? I'm trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of 10.0.2 versus, say, 10.0.7.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Probably the best way to come close to an answer is to review the changes Roxio posted <a href="http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/toast/version_history10.html" target="_blank">here.</a> What makes sense to me is to install the Toast 10.0.7 download as the complete folder of apps while retaining the earlier version of Toast as an individual application for use on those projects where 10.0.7 doesn't work for you. It's nuts but it's what works best.

See my post here for update:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/65521-whoa-1007-on-a-ppc-does-chapters/

I currently have both 10.0.2 and 10.0.7 installed. It doesn't seem to cause any problems having both versions. I installed the 10.0.7 folder of all applications then just added the 10.0.2 version of Toast itself to the same folder. Then if you want menu text use 10.0.2, if you want chapter markers use 10.0.7. If you want both, then tough luck :D

The last message I got from Roxio Support about this issue was on 1 June saying:

We are currently looking into the issue and we will provide an update as soon as we receive more information. A time frame (short- or long-term) for the issue to be addressed by the engineering department cannot be provided. Immediate and short term attention cannot be assumed.

Then on 2 June they closed my ticket. So I guess they won't "provide an update as soon as we receive more information". In fact they won't do anything at all, they'll just forget about it.

So I'm looking for an alternative programme to Toast for my specific disc burning needs. That's quite hard as Toast has many excellent features, but based on my dire experience with their support organisation and other customers' experiences reported here, I would rather not waste any more time (or money) on Roxio/Sonic products. I have used every version of Toast more or less since it was invented (by Adaptec), and I have Roxio Creator on a PC, but things seemed to go downhill after Sonic acquired Roxio. Pity.

On a lighter note, Sonic obviously based their customer support on this.

I queried why they closed the ticket when the issue wasn't resolved and got this response:

Considering the extensive, unsuccessful trouble shooting attempts of your problem we are unable to offer you any further solutions for your issue and will have to discontinue any further support.

We are therefore prepared to create an exceptional product refund for your software.

All I wanted to know is if they agree this is a bug and if so, if it is likely to get fixed in a future maintenance release. I can't believe it's so hard for any support organisation to deal with customers reporting bugs. Bizarre!

OK I am having the same problem and in my discussions with Roxio support they seem to be unwilling to help me get a copy of Toast 10.0.2, can anyone help me and tell me where I can get a copy?

PLEASE!

OK I am having the same problem and in my discussions with Roxio support they seem to be unwilling to help me get a copy of Toast 10.0.2, can anyone help me and tell me where I can get a copy?

PLEASE!

Try sending a private message to jonatsonic to see if he can help you with this.

PLEASE!

You can download it from:

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/ja_updates/toast/Toast_Ti_1002_539_Updater.zip

Roxio Support unhelpful? Goodness, how unusual!!! :D

Try sending a private message to jonatsonic to see if he can help you with this.

Thank you so much, Roxio sent me a link this morning, I am trying it now.

You can download it from:

http://softwareupdates.roxio.com/gm/ja_updates/toast/Toast_Ti_1002_539_Updater.zip

Roxio Support unhelpful? Goodness, how unusual!!! :D

Thank you for your response, I actually woke up this morning and Roxio Support had finally sent me a link to 10.0.2. I have downloaded it and I am trying it now. Thanks again.

Well just to let everyone know, Roxio Support provided me with a link to Toast 10.0.2. I tried it and it worked, I got my menus. In addition that, I thought I would let you know that it actually burned the DVD faster than version 10.0.7 did.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea

The failure to write text to disk in Toast 10 is NOT confined to DVD's OR to G5 Macs. I have the same issue with failure to write text to CD's and I am on an Intel MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.4. What is common with my experience, however, is the unethical Roxio customer interface; it is a sham. This is confirmed by other distraught customers' reporting on this site. After weeks of useless correspondence displaying stunningly obvious disregard for the information I have repeatedly provided, I have faced the illusion that I am dealing with a responsible business. Moreover, it is a failure in basic business-practice terms, not only in the ill-will such irresponsible behavior engenders, but in the practice of OFFERING or giving refunds rather than conscientiously addressing confirmed bugs in their software. The bug in the software is nothing compared to the infection compromising their character. A most unfortunate choice - for all. Yo, Sonic, what goes around comes around. All the way to bottom lines.

Sadly Russfuss, I have to agree with everything you have said. I'm sorry to hear that you are also having problems burning text to disks.

I do understand the difficulty of providing support for a mass market software product, especially one with the level of complexity and sophistication of Toast. However, Sonic's Technical Support seems designed to frustrate and alienate previously happy customers. For anything other than handling straightforward "finger trouble" issues from inexperienced customers, it seems wholly incompetent. I can't help thinking that they must be providing a lot better support than this with their professional product range.

Part of the problem in the Mac market is the lack of competition for Toast. At least Windows (and Linux) users can opt for Nero. My main use is for authoring DVDs using mpg files from EyeTV. I haven't been able to find any other product that works reliably, without re-encoding the mpeg-2 from EyeTV to some intermediate codec then converting it back to mpeg-2 again.

I was promised a refund by Roxio 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything from them since, and my ticket has been closed again. I guess the refund process works as well as their technical support!

Sadly Russfuss, I have to agree with everything you have said. I'm sorry to hear that you are also having problems burning text to disks.

I do understand the difficulty of providing support for a mass market software product, especially one with the level of complexity and sophistication of Toast. However, Sonic's Technical Support seems designed to frustrate and alienate previously happy customers. For anything other than handling straightforward "finger trouble" issues from inexperienced customers, it seems wholly incompetent. I can't help thinking that they must be providing a lot better support than this with their professional product range.

Part of the problem in the Mac market is the lack of competition for Toast. At least Windows (and Linux) users can opt for Nero. My main use is for authoring DVDs using mpg files from EyeTV. I haven't been able to find any other product that works reliably, without re-encoding the mpeg-2 from EyeTV to some intermediate codec then converting it back to mpeg-2 again.

I was promised a refund by Roxio 3 weeks ago but haven't heard anything from them since, and my ticket has been closed again. I guess the refund process works as well as their technical support!

I had no trouble with an immediate refund when I once returned a Roxio product purchased from their online site. Did you follow the instructions in your purchase confirmation email? See this article.