grandpabruce

More Microsoft Invasion?

I decided to update my Windows today, since I had not done it in a few weeks. I did not believe what I saw when I rebooted. In the desktop tray, there appeared a star, for lack of better words, that warned that support for SP1 would end on Oct. 10, 2006.

Okay, no problem. I can still decide whether or not I want to install the SP2 patch. So, I right clicked on the icon to get to a setting to prevent it from loading up when Windows loads. No such setting!!!

Okay, no problem. I will do the msconfig and stomp it out, there. Nothing out of the ordinary checked in Startup! And if you go to Start/All Programs/Startup, I have nothing at all in Startup.

Anyone know how to get this invasive star out of the tray, outside of installing SP2?

EDIT: I forgot to add a picture showing what it looks like.

post-81-1149268526.jpg

Edited by grandpabruce

Anyone know how to get this invasive star out of the tray, outside of installing SP2?

Restoring your system to a restore point before yesterday's updates should do it (It gets rid of that "Genuine Advantage" garbage from update KB905474).

Then you need to work out which update causes this latest nag screen and avoid that update henceforth (post the number here so we can avoid it too).

You've got the automatic updates set to off, which is a "good thing" and will protect you from some of the nastier patches Micro$oft are pushing out in their automatic updates lately.

Yeah..what's up with that stupid WGA?

I've already done that (actually letting it install figuring no harm done).

So why ask me to install it again?

cripes sakes....

Edited by vid2man97

I did not believe what I saw warned that support for SP1 would end on Oct. 10, 2006.

Seems to me there is an acceleration in the obsolecence curve -

Win98, Win98 SE, and Win Multiple Errors lose support the end of this month, if I remember correctly.

WinXP SP1 loses support in October this year.

Does this mean WinXP SP2 is slated to be dropped next year ??

Lynn

I realized today that one of my office systems was somehow 'reset' to automatically update (which I quickly turned off) but lately all my systems have been asking for me to allow MS to run is Genuine Advantage or whatever on my systems. How many times can it ask to check if my OS is genuine? What a pain.

I let it check my system once and it only took a few seconds to check and then it was gone. I haven't heard from it since and that was several weeks ago.

Frank

That's nice Frank, but I've heard of several folk with genuine 'here's the licence label' XP where WGA has flagged their machine as counterfeit.

It seems that in cases where it can't make up its mind the default action is to blow its trumpet rather than saying "I can't decide".

This is probably the sort of Micro$oft behaviour I should be making a loud fuss about, but I have my Fussometer on the recharger at the moment. I still question the propriety of pushing out alleged 'anti-piracy' programs and insufficiently tested patches with their automatic updates.

That's nice Frank, but I've heard of several folk with genuine 'here's the licence label' XP where WGA has flagged their machine as counterfeit.

It seems that in cases where it can't make up its mind the default action is to blow its trumpet rather than saying "I can't decide".

This is probably the sort of Micro$oft behaviour I should be making a loud fuss about, but I have my Fussometer on the recharger at the moment. I still question the propriety of pushing out alleged 'anti-piracy' programs and insufficiently tested patches with their automatic updates.

The star in the tray is the Genuine Advantage Notifications Option star. LOL. The only option you see, when you right click, is to notify of critical updates. I am not sure that this is the validation thing, though. It said that I could download updates to the OS.

My OS is the genuine thing, BTW.

I've read that if you've made major changes to your system hardware and get a notice to 're-activate' and don't, you could get mislabeled as having counterfeit software. That just ain't right.

I still question the propriety of pushing out alleged 'anti-piracy' programs and insufficiently tested patches with their automatic updates.

This might be Microsoft's DRM for a OS and getting you ready for Vista.

This is probably the sort of Micro$oft behaviour I should be making a loud fuss about, but I have my Fussometer on the recharger at the moment.

When its charged come back, I enjoy reading it. :)

cdanteek

This, from Microsoft. Scroll down to the part about uninstalling the Genuine Advantage... You can't uninstall it. LOL

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905474/en-us

Edited by grandpabruce

I've read that if you've made major changes to your system hardware and get a notice to 're-activate' and don't, you could get mislabeled as having counterfeit software. That just ain't right.

You've read right on that one.

Even when you go to 're-activate', it may not be good enough. I've actually seen people have to go through agony with MS on the phone to get it all straightened out. It all comes down to them thinking that you've installed the OS on a second computer. (which you probably already knew)

Just thought I'd mention it cause I've seen it first hand...it's not just a rumour.

Seems very odd to me that on some computers it goes through all this "Not Genuine" crap, while on others it does nothing at all. My comment about not having any problems with the check was not an invitation to say that MS is all O.K., Brendon. I have long thought that MS goes to a lot of work placing stuff on our computers for THEIR benefit not ours and I think it is absolutely incredible how they get away with it. One would think that someone else in the cyber world would be able to catch on to what MS has been doing for years and do something about it.

BTW Bruce, I didn't see anywhere on the web site you suggested about the patch to get rid of the GA. where you could download the patch. Did I miss that somewhere ?

cdanteek might be right about getting us all ready for Vista-- :)

Frank....

I have long thought that MS goes to a lot of work placing stuff on our computers for THEIR benefit not ours and I think it is absolutely incredible how they get away with it. One would think that someone else in the cyber world would be able to catch on to what MS has been doing for years and do something about it.

Frank....

I doubt you'll find many if any that would disagree.

The only ones standing up to MS right now seems to be the EU on some issues. They are big enough to fight MS and actually make it stick.

And as a staunch anti apple man...I must admit that, yes Lynn, every day MS is making OSX seem more applealing. I'm truly contemplating as my present tower is now two years old and as packed with upgrades as it can get, and the time is approaching that in a year or two I'll replace it, I might bite into an apple and see if it lives up to the hype.

And as a staunch anti apple man...I must admit that, yes Lynn, every day MS is making OSX seem more applealing. I'm truly contemplating as my present tower is now two years old and as packed with upgrades as it can get, and the time is approaching that in a year or two I'll replace it, I might bite into an apple and see if it lives up to the hype.

I've used Apple unwillingly and under compulsion - the course being taught on Mac only. In the computer lab, I tended to use Windows.

However, altho my Win98 SE works fine, I'm having problems with AV and/or FW wanting to do their own upgrading and grabbing the line when I get on (they expect 24/7 connections). This makes me think that it won't be long before it gets worse.

There is at least one site (eBay.com) that I simply no longer go to on the Win98 SE - do doubt, as they say, the sellers want all the fancies (including High Speed connections), but it's driving out customers - especially the over-formatted garbage that takes forever to download. (Outrageous Shipping/Handling fees don't help.) (I have an eBay rating of 458, with over 600 transactions - I was NOT a casual user.) (Trying to post an auction with 400MHz and Dialup mostly accomplishes kick-offs/freeze-ups.)

I detest WinXP, but I use it - for eBay and anything else that I want the Power (2.4GHz) for (including burning and scanning). However, if Vista is proportionately more obnoxious, I think it's time to think about switching - I know where I can get working G4s pretty cheap if it come to that. And I can re-learn what little I knew of how to use their wierd mouse.

The WinXP has DVD-ROM; I don't need an Operating System designed for advanced Video work.

Lynn

You've read right on that one.

Even when you go to 're-activate', it may not be good enough. I've actually seen people have to go through agony with MS on the phone to get it all straightened out. It all comes down to them thinking that you've installed the OS on a second computer. (which you probably already knew)

Just thought I'd mention it cause I've seen it first hand...it's not just a rumour.

You actually have to click on the words. :) See attachment below.

post-81-1149268325.jpg

Sorry Bruce..I should have mentioned that those reactivation experiences my friends had to sweat through were 'pre-WGA'.

I have no idea now what it's like and hope I never have to find out.

Sorry Bruce..I should have mentioned that those reactivation experiences my friends had to sweat through were 'pre-WGA'.

I have no idea now what it's like and hope I never have to find out.

Nothing for you to be sorry about. To show you that I am having senior moments at a more rapid pace, my last post, with the attachment, was supposed to have Frank's quote in it, where he was asking me where the download was, for the fix. :huh::D:)

Edited by grandpabruce

Hey Bruce, that wasn't a senior moment at all. I got the message just fine :huh::D And I gues if it's senior moments I had one too for not catchiing having to click on the words---Thanks Bruce :)

Frank...

I have long thought that MS goes to a lot of work placing stuff on our computers for THEIR benefit not ours and I think it is absolutely incredible how they get away with it. One would think that someone else in the cyber world would be able to catch on to what MS has been doing for years and do something about it.

I think the US DOJ took a crack at it without success, if memory serves me right.

I am on the verge of doing a clean XP Pro install with SP1 and SP2, possibly slipstreamed, on a significantly upgraded computer, complete with removable second hard drive (in a bay), and I don't know what to expect. I'll have to get the many updates subsequent to those automatically, so as not to get the bad ones, and along with those will come the subject of the present thread.

Since what I have is geniune I can't say it bothers me in principle to install it once, but I am quite certain that I have installed that particular 'feature' more than once or twice. Why are they forcing it upon me again and again? And why are they doing it now, when their April updates were such a disaster?

This, from Microsoft. Scroll down to the part about uninstalling the Genuine Advantage... You can't uninstall it. LOL

Yes, they're getting very good at issuing (or sneaking it onto your computer) "Doggy Doo" software. Many of the "updates" and software such as Windows Media Player which enforces DRM, are examples.

Once you've trod in this software there's no way you can get it off your shoes. You can't uninstall it, and ALL YOUR BASE ARE . . . .

(It's rumored that one of their EULAs actually has that phrase buried somewhere in the fine print)

And I doubt if anyone really knows (except MS) what other incedious little bits of information they are leaving on your computer.

Hey Brendon, how's everything going way down under ??

Frank....

This takes the cake, and I can't help but wonder if this is now malware that Microsoft has brought upon itself. I think this began to occur either late last night or early today, June 3, 2006. It may have even been the day before yesterday.

When I boot either of two machines I get a message from Windows, before my ZoneAlarm Security Suite has loaded, that my ZoneAlarm AntiVirus protection may be out of date, and to click the balloon to check. I have tried both leaving the balloon alone and checking it, and if I check it I go straight to Windows update and the now-infamous update that is the subject of this thread. Has anyone else encountered this?