dalilama

"Roxio has stopped working" during Audio burn launch

Question

I just installed Creator 2010 on my custom built machine (i7 920, Win 7, 6G DDR3). I have 2 SATA DVD burners...a Samsung SH-S223B and a LITEon ihas 424-08. When I try to copy an audio CD from one burner to the other, I chose "Burn Audio CDs" from the menu. It starts to load then stops and says "Roxio has stopped working" and closes the program. The same thing happens when I try to make MP3 cds. Everything else works perfectly! I tested both DVD burners to make sure they were both working properly (updated drivers, firmware, etc). I've uninstalled the DVD burners and let Win 7 recognize them again. Could this be a Win 7 issue? It appears to recognize everything fine. I think the problem is with the software. Any ideas how to fix this? Has anyone else experienced this? Roxio support was not helpful at all.

9 answers to this question

Well it sure looks that way…

Try, Add/Remove Programs — Repair.

IF that doesn’t work — Vista/Win7

Another bizarre thing is that I installed the same Creator 2010 on my brand new HP laptop with Win 7 and it works perfectly! No hiccups on any feature of the software. That led me to think it could a hardware issue. I know the LiteOn IHAS 424 is the newest model DVD burner from this mfger. I may just swap out the DVD drive and return it instead of messing with the Registry and additional repair/uninstalls/reinstalls. Does this sound like like a reasonable plan? Thanks in advance for your help!

You want a gues......some sort of registry mess. Don't know if there are any registry cleaners for win 7 yet but this could be anything from a overwritten system file that is not compatible to an update to a conflict with something else you've got on the machine. I've found that even with the newer OS you simply have to strip it down and reinstall every second to third year or you start getting headaches just like this one.

If the W7 was an 'update' over a previous OS, you may have carried problems over from that. It's been known to happen on a lot of occasions

You want a gues......some sort of registry mess. Don't know if there are any registry cleaners for win 7 yet but this could be anything from a overwritten system file that is not compatible to an update to a conflict with something else you've got on the machine. I've found that even with the newer OS you simply have to strip it down and reinstall every second to third year or you start getting headaches just like this one.

You realize you responded to a 2 month old post???

Had the same problem... When selecting "Burn Audio CDs" from the main menu I would get the "Program has stopped working" dialog box. Used sysinternals Process Monitor to see what was happening. Found that the last thing RoxioCentralFx.exe did before looking for "Error Mitigation" things was to access a 0 byte mp3 file. I deleted that file and everything works fine now. (Looks like a bug, crashes like a bug, smells like a bug, ...)

Happy Trails,

James

Had the same problem... When selecting "Burn Audio CDs" from the main menu I would get the "Program has stopped working" dialog box. Used sysinternals Process Monitor to see what was happening. Found that the last thing RoxioCentralFx.exe did before looking for "Error Mitigation" things was to access a 0 byte mp3 file. I deleted that file and everything works fine now. (Looks like a bug, crashes like a bug, smells like a bug, ...)

Happy Trails,

James

You posted to a long dead, 3 year old thread :blink:

Why would it be bug if you select a 0 byte file to burn? :wacko:

Didn't select a 0 byte file to burn. (Would still be a bug if the program crashes on a zero byte file.) The file was named something like "c:\mumble\mumble\...~temp3.mp3". Not sure why the burning program was looking at it. There is some "cataloging" of available files being done to show in the available files window. But, why a 0 byte file would crash a "directory listing" type operation seems strange.

I posted this in the Roxio 2010 area because that's what I'm using. Maybe they fixed this in the Roxio 2012, maybe not. I'm not going to pay to find out.

james

Edited by jb4096

Didn't select a 0 byte file to burn. (Would still be a bug if the program crashes on a zero byte file.) The file was named something like "c:\mumble\mumble\...~temp3.mp3". Not sure why the burning program was looking at it. There is some "cataloging" of available files being done to show in the available files window. But, why a 0 byte file would crash a "directory listing" type operation seems strange.

I posted this in the Roxio 2010 area because that's what I'm using. Maybe they fixed this in the Roxio 2012, maybe not. I'm not going to pay to find out.

james

There may have been some sort of problem with you, and the OP of this thread, but it certainly was not a widespread problem, or everyone would have had the problem. In short, there was nothing for Roxio to fix.