Where is my WMV File?

aerojaz

Question

I am trying to take my dvd and convert it to a wmv file that I can upload on the internet. The problem when I use this software is that I go through the steps and it creates a folder where the wmv file should be but it doesn't show up.. When I make a mpeg2, with the same method, it does show up but my computer wont play mpeg2 for some reason. All other formats such as mpeg4 will not show up. It said that it made the file but the only file that will show up in the folder is a mpeg2.. Why is that?

I have windows xp

Please help!

14 answers to this question

Just incase I was unclear.. When I convert my DVD to a video files, It creates a folder in the folder I choose for the video to be placed called "My Movies" Inside that folder is where the video file should be placed.. If I choose a mpeg2 compression that file shows up in the folder. Anything other compression type I pick it won't put anything in that "My Movies" folder.

Yes I used copy and convert. I also I tried the drag and drop but that doesn't want to take vob files. I have a fairly new laptop, (one of the last of the xp's before vista came out.) and I have another laptop that is slightly newer (like 8 months) with vista on it. They both do the same thing.. The funny thing is that If I want to turn a dvd into another dvd with that same copy and convert program it seems to make all that fine.. Or if I take an existing wmv file and try to adjust it it will work with that and create another wmv file. But as for taking a dvd and making it a wmv, it has problems on both of my computers.

Which application are you using? Video Copy & Convert?
Edited by aerojaz

I am going exactly by the instructions that the manual calls for for VCC to convert a dvd to a wmv/mpeg file. It converts the wmv file rather quickly.. in just a few seconds then it says it's done.. When I go to the "my movie" folder it is empty. The only time it will put anything in that folder is if I try to create it using mpeg2 compression. However the mpeg2 file says it's 0kb and it errors out when I try to open it.. I am using windows media player 11. I upgraded that like the program said.. I also added the update for the software. This happens to both of my laptops. Does this need a top of the line graphics card for this to work or something? My one laptop is like 2 years old and the other is about a year and a hlaf old. Also not sure if this matters but I have around 15 gigs of space left on my laptop.

The Operating System has nothing to do with it. But getting details is not easy…

I can choose Video in VCC and add any VOB file and it will make a WMV with no fuss.

So, step by step, what are you doing.

I am going exactly by the instructions that the manual calls for for VCC to convert a dvd to a wmv/mpeg file. It converts the wmv file rather quickly.. in just a few seconds then it says it's done.. When I go to the "my movie" folder it is empty. The only time it will put anything in that folder is if I try to create it using mpeg2 compression. However the mpeg2 file says it's 0kb and it errors out when I try to open it.. I am using windows media player 11. I upgraded that like the program said.. I also added the update for the software. This happens to both of my laptops. Does this need a top of the line graphics card for this to work or something? My one laptop is like 2 years old and the other is about a year and a hlaf old. Also not sure if this matters but I have around 15 gigs of space left on my laptop.

I ask for you to describe, Step by Step, what you do…

You return a long paragraph about what PC's you have and a repeat of the symptoms…

Based on that , I am sorry but I don't really have anything I can offer :(

Sounds like a bad install (with your anti-virus on). Where did you get the original DVD?

To see if it is a codec problem, copy the folders from the DVD to your computer. Open Edit Video-Advanced (Video Wave) and add the VOB files, Can you? Does it play in the preview window? Use video Wave to output the files to your choice of wmv files. Use the film reel icon above the preview window. Does that work?

Must take a lot of time to remove the program from one laptop to put it on another. :P

I also mentioned before I am going exactly by the instructions that the manual calls for for VCC to convert a dvd to a wmv/mpeg file.

I click the video copy and convert button on the program. I click "movie" under add source. I select drive "e" which is my cd drive. then I select the Video_TS file which it the dvd's folder on the cd. Under individual movies, I click Movie 1. I then wait for it to extract the video.. One I do that I select and output usually video) but I have tried all the different ones such as ipod and a bunch of others. I select that I want it to be a wmv file. Choose a destination. I lower the quality a bit then I hit the go button.. It creates a folder called "My Movies" in the desitnation I picked. But there is nothing in the folder.

I ask for you to describe, Step by Step, what you do…

You return a long paragraph about what PC's you have and a repeat of the symptoms…

Based on that , I am sorry but I don't really have anything I can offer :(

Sorry I didn't see your reply until now.. Thank you I will try that.

Sounds like a bad install (with your anti-virus on). Where did you get the original DVD?

To see if it is a codec problem, copy the folders from the DVD to your computer. Open Edit Video-Advanced (Video Wave) and add the VOB files, Can you? Does it play in the preview window? Use video Wave to output the files to your choice of wmv files. Use the film reel icon above the preview window. Does that work?

Must take a lot of time to remove the program from one laptop to put it on another. :P

I also mentioned before I am going exactly by the instructions that the manual calls for for VCC to convert a dvd to a wmv/mpeg file.

I click the video copy and convert button on the program. I click "movie" under add source. I select drive "e" which is my cd drive. then I select the Video_TS file which it the dvd's folder on the cd. Under individual movies, I click Movie 1. I then wait for it to extract the video.. One I do that I select and output usually video) but I have tried all the different ones such as ipod and a bunch of others. I select that I want it to be a wmv file. Choose a destination. I lower the quality a bit then I hit the go button.. It creates a folder called "My Movies" in the desitnation I picked. But there is nothing in the folder.

Sorry I didn't see your reply until now.. Thank you I will try that.

I don't have a manual!

Even if I did, I wanted to you to outline the steps. In doing that, you would not believe how many times people find their mistake when they start to outline the steps! It was a trick we used at work all the time, some mornings it looked like musical cubes :lol:

I just repeated your steps and got this result:

post-39730-1257969959.jpg

To Sknis:

I tried the Wave to output the files to wmv. Everything works including the preview. Then when I click the film reel icon to export it it only gives me one choice of file type: .dmsm is it supposed to have a wmv extention there or do I take that file somewhere else to convert a dmsm to wmv?

I may have had the antivirus on I can try uninstalling it shut of the antivirus.. (not sure if I remembered to do that before the install.)

To Sknis:

I tried the Wave to output the files to wmv. Everything works including the preview. Then when I click the film reel icon to export it it only gives me one choice of file type: .dmsm is it supposed to have a wmv extention there or do I take that file somewhere else to convert a dmsm to wmv?

I may have had the antivirus on I can try uninstalling it shut of the antivirus.. (not sure if I remembered to do that before the install.)

Are you using Edit Video -Advanced? Do you have Creator 2010?

If you are seeing the file save as then you will get dmsm. Look for the film reel icon above the preview screen. Click on that -Output as... You will find the options.

post-58-1257984803.jpg

To Sknis:

It has nothing to do with antivirus.

Is this the part where it asks you if you want to save the production?

If yes then all you are saving is the project file(which is a listing of how to create your VW production and has the extensions dmsm). At this point click yes and follow the instructions. This will save the project file just in case you want to come back later and make some changes. After the project file is saved a new window opens where you select the output format as indicated in <sknis>'s post

Edited by myguggi