Can't select write speed

esemoh

Question

I'm using disc copier to just make a backup copy of a dvd and after it's done transcoding I put in a blank dvd and I hit continue and then it tells me to select a write speed....usually I just select a write speed and continue but now there isn't anything for me to select, the box is blank. I can still scroll down as if there were different write speeds in the box but it's still blank and I can't select a speed...which means I can't continue. Does anyone know why this is happening? I don't have a clue.

14 answers to this question

I always use the TDK brand and I've never had problems before....but the disc is different now. Instead of being 8x they're 1-16x. I was wondering if that had anything to do with it but I didn't think it would. I'm going to try a different brand. I'm still able to burn CD's, just not DVD's. Thanks everyone!

Did purchasing different DVDs solve your problem? I'm having a similar experience tonight. My DVD-R worked fine on my last Sony 8x blank disc a couple of days ago. I picked up a spindle of 50 Sony DVD-R "1-16x" and attempted a burn on a disc tonight and I'm getting the same problem as you: Unable to select a burn speed (the pull down is empty) and if I go ahead and click okay, I get an error.

[EDIT: I also just burned to a blank CD-R with the same drive, so it seems to be operating correctly]

I'll swing by wal-mart tomorrow morning and exchange, but any further information might be useful!

I'm using disc copier to just make a backup copy of a dvd and after it's done transcoding I put in a blank dvd and I hit continue and then it tells me to select a write speed....usually I just select a write speed and continue but now there isn't anything for me to select, the box is blank. I can still scroll down as if there were different write speeds in the box but it's still blank and I can't select a speed...which means I can't continue. Does anyone know why this is happening? I don't have a clue.

Is the dvd copy protected? If so, it won't work. Try a regular, non protected cd or dvd and see what happens.

[EDIT: I also just burned to a blank CD-R with the same drive, so it seems to be operating correctly]

I'll swing by wal-mart tomorrow morning and exchange, but any further information might be useful!

A CD/DVD RW drive has two different 'write heads' - one for DVDs and one for CDs so burning a CD doesn't tell you if your drive is working correctly. However, the fact that you cannot burn a new spindle of DVDs probably means that it's the DVDs and not the burner itself.

If those DVDs have been stored incorrectly during shipping or at the store, they might be damaged so exchanging them is a good idea.

And checking the DVD burner manufacturer's website for updates to your burner as Lynn suggested is also good idea. Just because the brand name is Sony doesn't necessarily mean that the same manufacturer made the DVDs inside the spindle.

A CD/DVD RW drive has two different 'write heads' - one for DVDs and one for CDs so burning a CD doesn't tell you if your drive is working correctly. However, the fact that you cannot burn a new spindle of DVDs probably means that it's the DVDs and not the burner itself.

Oh. Right.

If those DVDs have been stored incorrectly during shipping or at the store, they might be damaged so exchanging them is a good idea.

Hm. Hadn't thought of that. I should have went ahead and exchanged this morning then, since _everything_ was 1x-16x, I decided not to. :)

And checking the DVD burner manufacturer's website for updates to your burner as Lynn suggested is also good idea. Just because the brand name is Sony doesn't necessarily mean that the same manufacturer made the DVDs inside the spindle.

Unfortunately, that might be difficult. It is a NEC-2510A...I've had difficulty obtaining driver/firmware updates for it. [EDIT: I estimate the drive being about 4-5 years old. Latest firmware I can _find_ (and not from the manufacturer...no longer supported, NEC doesn't actually exist, etc. is from '04)

I select for Sony blanks actually because I know they work reliably in this drive; Sony is what I was using before (for years now!).

I'm theorizing that I may need to invest in a new drive because I won't be able to obtain compatible DVD-R blanks for this one.

Blanks with a max of 8x would be recognized with a different line-entry than blanks with a max of 16x. That's what the firmware updates do.

I'm not sure about the current availability of 8x max blanks, but if you can get some, you might try that.

The fact the problem has surfaced at the end of one spindle vs the beginning of another does cast suspicion on something to do with that 16x spindle - whether, as ml says, problems with the discs, or problems with disc recognition.

Lynn

Blanks with a max of 8x would be recognized with a different line-entry than blanks with a max of 16x. That's what the firmware updates do.

I'm not sure about the current availability of 8x max blanks, but if you can get some, you might try that.

I was going to call around this morning, to see if anyone had some "leftover". If I can find even a small number of the older 8x max, I can use those until I order a new drive (how quickly I have to order will depend on how many I get!

The fact the problem has surfaced at the end of one spindle vs the beginning of another does cast suspicion on something to do with that 16x spindle - whether, as ml says, problems with the discs, or problems with disc recognition.

Hmm. I should lift half the spindle off and try one or two out of the middle and the like. I think I'll get the same results, my inclination is to believe the drive is reaching its obsolescence and that its the recognition issue.

[F/W revision Brands]

(WIN) – 10-November-2006

Firmwareupdate ND-2510A (GEN) to Version 2.19

Firmwareupdate ND-2510A (GNPF) to Version 2.0A

You will find information for firmwareupdate changes here or on our homepage`s FAQ: http://www.de.nec.de

-> Support and Service -> Technical questions -> Optical storage -> DVD / DVD Writer

This Update works only with NEC Retail & Bulk drives, not with OEM releases. OEM means part of a full PC package or external USB or FireWire variant of this burner. For OEM products contact directly your dealer, distributor or manufacturer of PC- or USB/ Firewire- package for service, support and firmwareupdates.You can update from:

ND-2510A (GEN) with installed Firmware 2.15, 2.16, 2.17 and 2.18

ND-2510A (GNPF) with installed Firmware 2.01, 2.02, 2.03, 2.04, 2.05, 2.06 and 2.07

(you will find marking on sticker on top side of your burner)

Supported media types

CD-ROM

DVD-ROM

CD-R/RW

DVD±R/RW

DVD+R DL

Read speeds

CD-ROM 40x

CD-R/RW 40x/32x

CD Audio 40x

DVD-ROM SL 12x

DVD-ROM DL 5x

DVD±R 12x

DVD±RW 8x

DVD+R DL 5x

Write speeds

CD-R 32x

CD-RW 16x

DVD±R 8x

DVD+RW 4x

DVD-RW 4x

DVD+R DL 2.4x

1. The media below will be recognized with firmware 2.19 and 2.0A,

but be informed, they won`t be added to our list of recommend medias because there is no guarantee for optimal burn results and performance.

2. The writing strategy was improved. (This update does not add lightscribe or labelflash technology)

media

max write speed

Maker

Media speed

DvD+R

Max Write Speed :8x

YUDEN 16X

16x

DvD+R

Mitsubishi

16x

DvD+R

MAXELL

16x

DvD+R

CMC

16x

DvD+R

SONY 16X

16x

DvD+R

TDK

16x

DvD+R

MBI 16x

16x

DvD+R

Ricoh(16X)

16x

DvD+R

PRODISC

16x

DvD+R

RITEK(16X)

16x

DvD+R

BeALL 16x

16x

DvD+R

Infomedia 16X

16x

DvD+R

OPTODISC 16X

16x

DvD+R

OPTODISC 16X

16x

DvD+R

NSD 16X

16x

DvD+R

UME DISC 16X

16x

DvD+R

PRODISC 16X

16x

DvD+R

MUST 16X

16x

DvD+R

INTER AXIA 16X

16x

DvD+R

DAXON 16X AZ3

16x

DvD+R

UL TRAN 16X

16x

DvD+R

GIGASTORAGE 16X

16x

DvD+R

POSTECH 16X

16x

DvD+R

RITEK 16X AZO

16x

DvD+R

SKC 16X

16x

DvD+R

LEAD DATA 16X

16x

DvD+R

MAM-E ADVANCED MEDIA 16X

16x

DvD+R

New Star Digital 16x

16x

DvD+R

Info Smart 8X

16x

DvD+R

E-TOP 16X

16x

DvD-R

MBI

16x

DvD-R

SONY

16x

DvD-R

MCC

16x

DvD-R

FUJI

16x

DvD-R

OPTO DISC16X

16x

DvD-R

TDK

16x

DvD-R

maxell 16x

16x

DvD-R

BEALL 16X

16x

DvD-R

YUDEN

16x

DvD-R

PRODISC 16X

16x

DvD-R

CMC 16X

16x

DvD-R

MUST 16X

16x

DvD-R

MBI 16X-R 01RG40

16x

DvD-R

DAXON 16X 016S

16x

DvD-R

PRODISC 16X AZO

16x

DvD-R

INFOSOURCE 16X

16x

DvD-R

LEADDATA 16X

16x

DvD-R

RITEK F1 16X

16x

DvD-R

DST 16X

16x

DvD-R

NAN YA 16X

16x

DvD-R

CMC 16X

16x

DvD-R

Info Smart 16X

16x

DvD-R

RITEK 16X AZO

16x

DvD-R

SKC 16X

16x

DvD-R

AMC 16x

16x

DvD-R

Infomedia 16x

16x

DvD-R

Memory Tech 16x

16x

DvD-R

THAI Media 16X

16x

DvD-R

DDT 16x

16x

DvD-R

MAM-E 16x

16x

DvD-R

e TOP

12x-16x

cd

Usually, the list of available write speeds is a function of the media code and the write strategies stored in your burner's firmware. Have you used this brand/type of media before successfully? Maybe try a different brand/type of media?

See if someone has a -RW DVD that you can borrow for testing. I use 1~16 DVDs in a really old burner that only burns at 1x. Of course, there could be something wrong with them or the dye layer may be different than the original DVDs.

Sony makes good DVDs as you can see from this list http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Unfortunately, they also do some 'outsourcing' so you might be getting DVDs that were made by a different manufacturer than the DVDs that you had before. I usually get Verbatims on sale.

I'd suggest that you try an electronics store for future purchases of DVDs if you have one close to your home. They have personel and storage conditions that are geared to electronics. Almost all the electronics stores have online 'weekly ads' and you can pick up DVDs pretty cheap.

Usually, the list of available write speeds is a function of the media code and the write strategies stored in your burner's firmware. Have you used this brand/type of media before successfully? Maybe try a different brand/type of media?

I always use the TDK brand and I've never had problems before....but the disc is different now. Instead of being 8x they're 1-16x. I was wondering if that had anything to do with it but I didn't think it would. I'm going to try a different brand. I'm still able to burn CD's, just not DVD's. Thanks everyone!

What is the make/model of your cd-DVD burner?

Have you updated drivers and firmware?

Archived