Split a production in half, overlay problem

09RKC

Question

Hey all!

I have a production that's about 2hr long, one file. I want to cut it in half and use two DVDs. Not that I'm this far, I've learned so much... especially what NOT to do next time.

The productions has dozens of OLs. I 'split' the production, delete the back half and 'Save As'. All's fine. Open the original back up, split it at the same point, delete the front half and save as again. The problem is, the OLs for the back half are totally out of whack now and don't at all match up with the Video. I see now when splitting at a point on Video, the OLs aren't included in the split/delete. I've tried trimming too, nada.

Please, tell me there's a solution :blink: . The alternative is to realign each of the 2nd half's OLs again. Beyond that, I shut down all audio on those OLs in the beginning as there was too much disparity between the two sources. Since it's far more accurate to use audio to align these things (to me), I'd have to re-enable all audio, one OL at a time. that too is an enormous amt of work.

Again, I've learned much now on what to not do. I hope someone can bail me out this time though!

Tkx!!

Dougt

Edited by 09RKC

8 answers to this question

Hummm, that’s odd… :glare:

Quick solution (assumes you done with edits) – Open the Original Project in VW. Select Export As.

Now use that new file and split it to make the 2 parts.

The Export As will apply all of your edits overlays etc. into one video file so whatever is messing this up will be gone. Also why I suggest you are through making changes.

Hummm, that’s odd… :glare:

Quick solution (assumes you done with edits) – Open the Original Project in VW. Select Export As.

Now use that new file and split it to make the 2 parts.

The Export As will apply all of your edits overlays etc. into one video file so whatever is messing this up will be gone. Also why I suggest you are through making changes.

Tkx Jim! Yeah, it surprised me too. I'll try what you say tomorrow and let you know.

I've been searching for the best combination for quality to burn this production. I've got maybe 8 DVDs burned. There seems to be a difference in quality between my burners... the LG Blue Ray and an older TSST DVD burner. The TSST seems to make a softer picture, easier transition from one scene to another. The BR is less forgiving. I found that interesting.

Also I tried your Plan B (posted in another thread) but couldn't figure out how to do it. >>‘Burn’ the project at High Quality as a File/Folder, then use Video Copy and Convert to Actually burn that Folder to disc. VCC will re-render to fit your media and does a much better job then MyDVD<<

Sounds simple enough. In MyDVD I burned to "Create Folder Set" but in VCC... I didn't know where to go from there. It's been a few days but I remember I couldn't get Copy to see the folder...? I don't remember.

I'll keep you posted on all, tkx again!

Doug

Tkx Jim! Yeah, it surprised me too. I'll try what you say tomorrow and let you know.

I've been searching for the best combination for quality to burn this production. I've got maybe 8 DVDs burned. There seems to be a difference in quality between my burners... the LG Blue Ray and an older TSST DVD burner. The TSST seems to make a softer picture, easier transition from one scene to another. The BR is less forgiving. I found that interesting.

Also I tried your Plan B (posted in another thread) but couldn't figure out how to do it. >>‘Burn’ the project at High Quality as a File/Folder, then use Video Copy and Convert to Actually burn that Folder to disc. VCC will re-render to fit your media and does a much better job then MyDVD<<

Sounds simple enough. In MyDVD I burned to "Create Folder Set" but in VCC... I didn't know where to go from there. It's been a few days but I remember I couldn't get Copy to see the folder...? I don't remember.

I'll keep you posted on all, tkx again!

Doug

One thing at a time :lol:

Burners making a difference in Quality??? I don’t think so...

Burners burn away a reflective layer by Laser ON or Laser OFF commands. Those ‘pits’ are read as 1’s or 0’s.

There is no provision to burn a 'half pit' or a 1 1/4 pit

Now this is not to say that a Burner or Media cannot make a difference. I cannot recommend more strongly that you only use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden as media. Lasers do wear out, they are sort of a glorified light bulb…

Get some Quality brand RW's and test them. If one is on the edge, they are cheap enough to replace.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The VCC trick is meant to cram more on a DVD than is really practical and keep the Quality as high as you can.

In MyDVD you burn a Folder set at HQ. (has to be folder since ISO will limit you to 2 hours length!)

VCC — Use the Copy DVD tab and in the dropbox, browse to the Folder.

post-39730-1257851411.jpg

One thing at a time :lol:

Burners making a difference in Quality??? I don’t think so...

Burners burn away a reflective layer by Laser ON or Laser OFF commands. Those ‘pits’ are read as 1’s or 0’s.

There is no provision to burn a 'half pit' or a 1 1/4 pit

Now this is not to say that a Burner or Media cannot make a difference. I cannot recommend more strongly that you only use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden as media. Lasers do wear out, they are sort of a glorified light bulb…

Get some Quality brand RW's and test them. If one is on the edge, they are cheap enough to replace.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The VCC trick is meant to cram more on a DVD than is really practical and keep the Quality as high as you can.

In MyDVD you burn a Folder set at HQ. (has to be folder since ISO will limit you to 2 hours length!)

VCC — Use the Copy DVD tab and in the dropbox, browse to the Folder.

post-39730-1257851411.jpg

Tkx Jim, I appreciate all. I can't believe I didn't think of Verbatim after having gone through this already with a BR deal last month! I did buy and try Verbatim -R.

Firstly, the 'Plan B' we spoke of locked. Created the files just fine... a ROXIOPLASMA & VIDEO_TS folder(s). Then on to VCC where the copy seemed to start well. I came a few hours later to see the dreaded "XXX Send Error Report to MS". Tried again, same results.

So I tried MyDVD. I don't understand why but I can't "Fit to Disc". It says it's 4 minutes too long (???). I thought FTD would... whatever. So I tried LP. I must admit, the pic looks a bit better than with the TDKs.

This thread may need to be moved now to the audio section...?

But... one common issue between all discs and scenerios I've tried is audio skips. When playing the DVD, about every 6 minutes or so there'll be a sudden and total failure of audio, about 3 seconds. Then the audio returns and all's normal (for about 6 minutes).

I experienced this when I first purchased 2010 and the LG BR Burner messing with DVDs, but had forgotten about it when working the BR project and all was well. Back to a DVD project, the problem returns. I dunno... My card is Creative SB X-Fi. I looked for drivers online, there's only about a dozen. I don't have the energy to open the machine and see what model # the card is at this time :huh: .

I found this in my notes: >>You will have to Extract the audio from the Golden One and add it to the Music track. Expand your Video track and mute the audio. Same for the overlay track.<< I did not do this. I muted all OL audio and left Native alone, where it was. I moved nothing to Music. Could this be the cause of the skips? Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm at a loss now. I need to put this down awhile, got too close and not thinking as objectively as I need to...

Tkx again Jim!

Doug

Edited by 09RKC

Sorry Doug, the audio problem is most likely your PC…

Fit to Disc is a MyDVD function ONLY! And did I mention it is a poor one :lol:

But if VCC crashed, you need to run a Repair on your Roxio Install. Who knows, might clear up both problems.

Good news (sort of). I've deduced the audio 'problem' happens on only one player in the house. I have three. That Samsung VR335 produces the audio skips in the same spots on all DVDs I've made in all configurations. How about that! Now that THAT one's out of the way :) ...

Yes, FTD within MyDVD is what is telling me I'm nutz. I open a 4.56mb project. In selecting FTD it tells me it's 142.4mb over. IOW, file's too large. That's what stumps me. I thought FTD meant it'd do what it took to FTD. My only option is LP (sucks of course).

I'll try to reinstall or repair the program when I get back in town next week. LP isn't nice at all, so I will pursue this one!

Tkx Jim!!

Doug

In selecting FTD it tells me it's 142.4mb over. IOW, file's too large. That's what stumps me. I thought FTD meant it'd do what it took to FTD.
I would agree. Fit to Disc should do just that within the limitations of the application. Apparently Roxio extended the highest bitrate to 9Mbps, but the lowest bitrate is still 3Mbps.

I would agree. Fit to Disc should do just that within the limitations of the application. Apparently Roxio extended the highest bitrate to 9Mbps, but the lowest bitrate is still 3Mbps.

Well, 4hr until I head to the airport so thought I'd run Roxio repair. It says I'm missing burnmgr.msi. Almost with I'd purchased the CD install, not the download now. Be about a week...

Doug

Edited by 09RKC