Best way to do PAL?

Mike Richmond

Question

2 answers to this question

Yes, the Final Cut conversion will likely look better on the resulting DVD. As an experiment export as progressive to compare with how the interlace export looks on a final DVD (played on a DVD player). You may find exporting as progressive will result in smoother video and no shimmering around bright edges that I've seen with some Toast encoding.

Edited by tsantee

I have content exported from Final Cut Studio as ProRes 4.2.2 and I'm making Bluray discs, DVDs and a PAL DVD. I used the 'convert' option in Toast to make the PAL DVD. Would the quality be better if I separately exported from Final Cut as PAL?

MikeR

Just a general comment. The majority of Bluray players in Europe can play either NTSC or PAL directly. Most TV's also. Nowadays if I have PAL source I burn in PAL and if I have NTSC source I burn in NTSC. In general this works well no matter where the disc is used (USA or Germany). Although, I have noticed that some slow motion scenes on 1080i60 source material and burnt to BD stutter when played on an Germany PAL BD player (LG BD390).

Mace