• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Fuzzy images and text on DVD

zalago

Question

Hi,

I've recently installed the 2010 version, and on the computer, everything works fine, and with perfect clarity. But when I burn to DVD I get poor picture quality and fuzzy text.

I'm using Video Wave to put photos together - a short 5 minute production - and exporting it as a Video File, MPEG DVD for best quality, then using MyDVD set up for DVD, and High Quality to burn to DVD.

I've searched for a similar issue here, but haven't spotted anything. So, I'd be glad of any advice.

Many thanks,

Richard

The computer is a reasonably new one with Windows XP, AMD Athlon 7750 dual core, 3 GB Ram, NVIDEA GeForce 9500GT, Sony Optiarc AD5200S.

Edited by zalago

16 answers to this question

Hello Jim,

I tried those two things. There is an improvement, but it is still poor, and nothing like as good as I was getting with Roxio 9. I'd be glad of anymore help.

By the way, I'm mystified with your comment that RW is best. Does that mean that DVD-R isn't a good media.

Regards

Richard

Hello Jim,

I tried those two things. There is an improvement, but it is still poor, and nothing like as good as I was getting with Roxio 9. I'd be glad of anymore help.

By the way, I'm mystified with your comment that RW is best. Does that mean that DVD-R isn't a good media.

Regards

Richard

DVD-RW is good for testing so you don't waste the write-once discs. Once you get things working, then you can commit it to a write-once disc.

Not to be too blunt but there is absolutely no difference between the "quality" of EMC 9, 10, 2009 or 2010 as far as encoding/burning. I burn Blu-ray with it too and am delighted wth the quality.

BUT have you installed some other software or code packs along the way?

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Thanks for your extra help. And that comment of mine was less than useful.

The only other graphics software is Nero, which came with the machine, Realplayer, Picasa, Quicktime that recently appeared, and Applesoftware update(?). Should I remove them?

Thanks again.

Richard

I've now removed Nero but no benefit. And to check, I put a short Photoshow together, but that was seriously naff too. But when I sent it by email to myself, it was good. The DVD's I produced with Roxio 9 are crystal clear when I play them back on this computer. And I've just copied photos I've used for this latest production to disc (using Roxio) and they play back crystal clear as well. To check my VW file, I've made another short VW production and burned it in MyDVD with and without menus, and in the ways you suggested. Can't think of any more checks I can do, apart from a reinstall. What do you think?

Thanks

Edited by zalago

Thanks for your extra help. And that comment of mine was less than useful.

The only other graphics software is Nero, which came with the machine, Realplayer, Picasa, Quicktime that recently appeared, and Applesoftware update(?). Should I remove them?

Thanks again.

Richard

I've now removed Nero but no benefit. And to check, I put a short Photoshow together, but that was seriously naff too. But when I sent it by email to myself, it was good. The DVD's I produced with Roxio 9 are crystal clear when I play them back on this computer. And I've just copied photos I've used for this latest production to disc (using Roxio) and they play back crystal clear as well. To check my VW file, I've made another short VW production and burned it in MyDVD with and without menus, and in the ways you suggested. Can't think of any more checks I can do, apart from a reinstall. What do you think?

Thanks

Have you trieed to play the DVD on another DVD player/TV?

Yes I've tried two different players/TVs.

Frankly, I'm not sure where Realplayer came from. With my limited savy perhaps it came attached to Google or Picasa or somesuch. With that description of it, I doubt it was 'lurking' on the machine when I bought it.

But the continued poor quality I'm getting with 2010 is still irking me. The Roxio 9 reinstall was just short of a nightmare, so I hesitate to do a reinstall of 2010 unless advised to, in case that is as bad or worse.

Thanks for comments

Yes I've tried two different players/TVs.

Frankly, I'm not sure where Realplayer came from. With my limited savy perhaps it came attached to Google or Picasa or somesuch. With that description of it, I doubt it was 'lurking' on the machine when I bought it.

But the continued poor quality I'm getting with 2010 is still irking me. The Roxio 9 reinstall was just short of a nightmare, so I hesitate to do a reinstall of 2010 unless advised to, in case that is as bad or worse.

Thanks for comments

Just a question re: quality.

You do know that you are making a standard 720 by 480 pixel resolution; don't you? Do not try to get any higher quality unless you are going to go to HiDef.

Hi Sknis

Yes, I know about the 720X480. The best comparison I have is the quality I got with Roxio 9, played back on the same TV and player.

And I know that image clarity expectation can be misleading, but when I say the text is fuzzy, I mean it is almost unreadable. And there's the mystery of the Photoshow quality too. I'm begining to suspect the problem is with this new computer now, but everything I read here and elsewhere says it must be a software issue, and that the hardware doesn't control quality.

Stumped, and stuffed now I've missed my deadline.

Regards, and thanks.

Hi Sknis

Yes, I know about the 720X480. The best comparison I have is the quality I got with Roxio 9, played back on the same TV and player.

And I know that image clarity expectation can be misleading, but when I say the text is fuzzy, I mean it is almost unreadable. And there's the mystery of the Photoshow quality too. I'm begining to suspect the problem is with this new computer now, but everything I read here and elsewhere says it must be a software issue, and that the hardware doesn't control quality.

Stumped, and stuffed now I've missed my deadline.

Regards, and thanks.

I may have missed the answer to this, but in MyDVD, what quality setting did you use? If you left it at the default setting of Fit to Disc, your resultant video DVD, will be poor quality.

Set the Quality setting to Same As Original, or High Quality (HQ), then burn to a DVD or a Folder Set, then to DVD. See if the picture quality improves, for you.

Edited by grandpabruce

Thanks, Grandpabruce,

I started at High Quality and have since tried every setting. Have changed media to more expensive, and burned the project at slowest speed. The result now is more acceptable.

It still hasn't got the clarity of version 9, so I think I'll reserve next weekend for stripping this computer back to the essentials and reload Roxio.

Thanks for the advice.

I see this is an old post. However, I'm having exactly the same problem, with a new Dell Studio Computer, running Windows 7. The output from Roxio 2010 is clearly inferior to that which I get when I use Roxio 9 on my laptop running XP Pro (using the exact same images).

Also, the problem with Roxio 2010 does not manifest itself when using pictures that were scanned. It seems to be only with digital pictures (which are not particularly large in size: 1600 by 1200).

I have downloaded and installed SP2 patch. I'm using software rendering, HQ quality, slowest burning speed. Any thoughts?

Try 2 things. - separately is better and using RW media is smart!

1. Don't Export! From VW, Save, close and open MyDVD. Add the VW dmsm file you saved.

2. Under Tools – Options – Render, change the setting to Software.

Let us know what works???

Having somewhat similar problems with an hour long video, I read this and experimented with it.

This is the best advice I have found as it, along with the other steps below, solved my problems of what I called fuzzy video and 'ribbony video' when overlaid by text. Also cured jerky video during movement (zoom or pan) of the camera. I would now classify the results as EXCELLENT.

3. Roxio burn used only to set up the background, buttons etc AND to make an iso file.

4. Then used ImgBurn (free download) to actually burn the iso to disc, avoiding the fill up the disc option and not using max speed. Someone said the 'fill up the disc option' never results in the best video and I used 8x even though the disc is rated for 16x.

Maybe it was only one of the steps that really made a difference (like software rendering instead of the default setting of hardware rendering) or using the saved dmsm file in Roxio burn instead of an mpg or using export in Video Wave or.... But now that I found a method that works, I will stick with it and, little by little, try to understand why it works and what steps are absolutely essential.

Thanks to all of you who helped me arrive at a solution.

Having somewhat similar problems with an hour long video, I read this and experimented with it.

This is the best advice I have found as it, along with the other steps below, solved my problems of what I called fuzzy video and 'ribbony video' when overlaid by text. Also cured jerky video during movement (zoom or pan) of the camera. I would now classify the results as EXCELLENT.

3. Roxio burn used only to set up the background, buttons etc AND to make an iso file.

4. Then used ImgBurn (free download) to actually burn the iso to disc, avoiding the fill up the disc option and not using max speed. Someone said the 'fill up the disc option' never results in the best video and I used 8x even though the disc is rated for 16x.

Maybe it was only one of the steps that really made a difference (like software rendering instead of the default setting of hardware rendering) or using the saved dmsm file in Roxio burn instead of an mpg or using export in Video Wave or.... But now that I found a method that works, I will stick with it and, little by little, try to understand why it works and what steps are absolutely essential.

Thanks to all of you who helped me arrive at a solution.

Most likely it's the "fill up the disc" (actually its called Fit-to-disc) that was giving you the bad video. This option wold have been applied before you used ImgBurn. Switching to software rendering may have also helped. Changing the speed will have no effect on the video quality since that will have been set during the render phase by Roxio.