• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

VCC Conversion Problem

UK Barry

Question

Brand new install of Windows 7 Professional 32bit on a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop. Updated all the patches for Roxio 2010 and am on SP1.

I am trying to convert a DVD video to .mp4 using the iPhone output option. If the DVD is in the DVD drive and I choose "Add Source" - Movies, I point the media selector to the path d: which is my DVD drive with the DVD video inserted. I then select the movie that appears, click ok, and a pop up appears saying Video Copy & Convert "Caching Title". It goes thru this "Caching Title" process for about 30 minutes, then when it finishes, I can finally attempt the conversion process. This is where the problems begin. There is an adjustment bar that you can choose how you want to out put your .mp4 and you can choose from small file size to highest quality. Since my objective is to put this .mp4 on my iPhone, I slide the bar all the way over to the small file size option. Then I select the -> Green Arrow which starts the conversion process. The problem here is that the conversion process does not make a small file size even though I slid the bar all the way over to the left and selected Small File Size. The .mp4 came out over 10 Gigabytes. I heard there could be some issues converting directly from the DVD drive, so next I tried to copy the DVD over to my hard drive. By doing this, it bypasses the "Caching Title" process and allows you to start the conversion right away. Now for the BIGGEST BUG yet with Video Copy & Convert. The conversion process directly from the hard drive creates a never ending .mp4 file that keeps growing and growing until your hard drive it completely full. I ended up with a 350GB file that was so corrupted, that I trashed it and have now given up using the Video Copy & Convert tool all together. It looks like Roxio never bothered testing this application with Windows 7 and I would avoid buying this product at all costs until the bugs are worked out. If you ever try to cancel the caching title process or the conversion process in the middle, this app will not quit and just hangs. You must go into Task Manager and force it to quit which takes about 10 tries since clicking on it to force quit does not work right away. I've used Roxio products over the years, and never saw anything like this before and I am deeply dissappointed they would rush this version out in the state it is in. <_<

I have experienced exactly the same as you describe. I have a clean install of Windows 7 Pro and have only Roxio 2010 and MS Office installed. Computer is a nearly new HP Desktop 3GHz Quad Core with 4Gb of RAM. I have determined that this bug exists both before and after 2010 SP1 install and does eaxctly as you describe and would share your view there is a major bug with creating a file on the conversion that just fills the hard drive. I have had to do two complete back up restores to the original build following this repeatable event. This is a real shame as I bought this version to make iPhone migration easy. Sadly Roxio Creator 10 which I had previous running on Vista ultimate did not exhibit this trait . Anyone any ideas?

9 answers to this question

Let's start this as a new Topic.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no "bug" in the software. If you read the responses here, others can do this without any problem. Old Topic

So we really need to work with you and see if we can resolve this.

FYI: Restore does not do what you think!!! Restore points protect the Operating System but never take it completely back to where it was, remnants remain… :(

The ONLY way to truly clean up a PC is to Format the drive.

Before going that far, I would print out the Clean Install instructions and follow them, step by step –Vista/Win7

Also, download a fresh copy of the 2010 SP1 just to make sure that is good too.

Do that then try a couple of small files and post back detailing the steps/settings you used and the results. Are your Source files something available for download, that we can try?

I would sure like to work this through, so stick with us.

Let's start this as a new Topic.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is no "bug" in the software. If you read the responses here, others can do this without any problem. Old Topic

So we really need to work with you and see if we can resolve this.

FYI: Restore does not do what you think!!! Restore points protect the Operating System but never take it completely back to where it was, remnants remain… :(

The ONLY way to truly clean up a PC is to Format the drive.

Before going that far, I would print out the Clean Install instructions and follow them, step by step –Vista/Win7

Also, download a fresh copy of the 2010 SP1 just to make sure that is good too.

Do that then try a couple of small files and post back detailing the steps/settings you used and the results. Are your Source files something available for download, that we can try?

I would sure like to work this through, so stick with us.

Digital guru, I may have misled you with my terminology, I am a very experienced IT person and have been using Windows for almost 20 years and Roxio for 10 years in its various forms. When I "restored" the hard drive it was a re install using the original disc image I created before loading Roxia 2010. Windows 7 Pro gives one the option of doing this and I back up the hard drive disc image before a major application install just incase I have problems. I did a complete image reinstall which had only Windows 7 from a clean virgin install plus MS Office 2007 and I Tunes as the only other applications. I did not do the wquick and dirty windows restore that just resets various registry entries etc.

Today I have tried again and with four DVDs I get exactly the same, it cashes the disc fine , goes to 100% following transcodong and only on the first occasion did it download the file to the itunes directory. Three times subsequently with different non copyrighted discs it carried on past the 100% until I forced the program to terminate through task manager as the file would just grow and grow. I would have expected the file to be 200kBish from experience for an hours worth of DVD in MP4 but I terminated when the file got to 12GB as something was by then seriously wrong. Hope this clarifies things.

Digital guru, I may have misled you with my terminology, I am a very experienced IT person and have been using Windows for almost 20 years and Roxio for 10 years in its various forms. When I "restored" the hard drive it was a re install using the original disc image I created before loading Roxia 2010. Windows 7 Pro gives one the option of doing this and I back up the hard drive disc image before a major application install just incase I have problems. I did a complete image reinstall which had only Windows 7 from a clean virgin install plus MS Office 2007 and I Tunes as the only other applications. I did not do the wquick and dirty windows restore that just resets various registry entries etc.

Today I have tried again and with four DVDs I get exactly the same, it cashes the disc fine , goes to 100% following transcodong and only on the first occasion did it download the file to the itunes directory. Three times subsequently with different non copyrighted discs it carried on past the 100% until I forced the program to terminate through task manager as the file would just grow and grow. I would have expected the file to be 200kBish from experience for an hours worth of DVD in MP4 but I terminated when the file got to 12GB as something was by then seriously wrong. Hope this clarifies things.

UK Berry, I am so happy to hear that I am not the only one who is experiencing this "Bug", or "Issue" with the VCC app in Roxio 2010 and the file that just grows and grows until it fills up the hard drive. Last time I tried it, I ended up with a 450GB file. I haven't tried a reformat of my entire hard drive and installing Roxio 2010 without any other apps installed, as I really do not wish to take it to that extreme at this point. I also have office and Itunes installed on my PC. My version of office is Office 2007 Prof. and the latest version of Itunes 9.03 or something like that. Now I am also an experienced IT tech with over 25 years of building, configuruing, and troubleshooting both hardware and software, so when people tell us there's no "Bug", I know it can be quite irritating to hear, but at least they are trying to lend their support like Jim is here so I'll take his advice for what it's worth. Not everyone is going to have the same hardware configuration and same drivers and other software installed on their systems. My Dell Latitude E6500 is configured for SATA / AHCI mode in the Bios and not ATA. AHCI mode was introduced with Vista and is now in Windows 7. I have all the lastest updated drivers for my hardware and all the latest patches for Windows 7 as well as with Roxio. I can tell right now that since others are not having this problem, it must be a hardware/software incompatibility that we are dealing with and until Roxio puts out some patches/updates to fix this, we may be stuck with this problem for now, unless we both do our own troubleshooting like performing clean installs of everything, and trying various configurations with our Bios/hardware settings. I personally don't think it's worth it to take this time to do this and I hate to switch products after being with Roxio through so many different versions, but it may be time to move on for now and use another product. Perhaps when Windows 7 SP3 comes out and Roxio version 2015 comes out, these problems may be resolved, but I'm not holding my breath.

Barry: Thanks for clearing up the 'restore' issue… Most people think the Windows Restore is a Clean Slate. They don't realize it only really wiping the slate off with a dirty rag :lol:

OK, now we are getting some more info! — Make sure you have the Creator 2010 SP1 update applied!!!

There is a problem with Office 2007 and the SP1 update fixes it.

Also, try adding the same movie from the disc into VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced) to eliminate the possibility of something occurring during the disc read.

One other thought. Have you made up a short Test DVD yourself, and trying that on it???

Edited by Jim_Hardin

Barry: Thanks for clearing up the 'restore' issue… Most people think the Windows Restore is a Clean Slate. They don't realize it only really wiping the slate off with a dirty rag :lol:

OK, now we are getting some more info! — Make sure you have the Creator 2010 SP1 update applied!!!

There is a problem with Office 2007 and the SP1 update fixes it.

Also, try adding the same movie from the disc into VideoWave (Edit Video-Advanced) to eliminate the possibility of something occurring during the disc read.

One other thought. Have you made up a short Test DVD yourself, and trying that on it???

I think you are in the right area, as not all others are experiencing this, I have ahunch there is a duplicate file name in Roxio 2010 that is also common to a file MS Office 2007?? I have seen similar behaviour in other programs when a common file name inadvertantly causes a program.

If Roxio cant work this out I will buy Office 2010 when it comes out and do another clean install and see what happens then.

I am going to try Videowave tonight to see how that stands up and will make a test disc as well. Will keep you posted.

Interesting. Where I stand now is that with the same computer, same DVD disc it had no trouble converting the file in Videowave which I then manually transferred into the iTunes directory and onto my iPhone. However the "bug remains" with the transcoder overflowing at a 100% point and filling the hard drive instead of stopping and moving the file to iTunes.

I guess I will have to wait for Roxio to fathom it out or for more reports of this anomolous behaviour. In the meantime I will copy and convert with Videowave (and manually manage the file !!). So much to simple utilities.

Thanks,

Barry