Scene Detection (VideoWave) navigation

Lynn Lynn

Question

I searched on "scene detection" in this forum, and failed to see an answer to my specific question, and will be glad to be referred to a reference that I have missed.

I am now using C2010 Pro. Win XP Pro SP3. (Formerly used EMC 5, EMC 10, C2009, and maybe possibly even an app before EMC5. But I never got any good at using those apps, and used EMC 5 only for audio.)

In VideoWave, Media Selector brings up display of some files, including many files that have not only been deleted, but emptied from the Recycle Bin. I suppose that these are simply the result of pointers left over from previous operations, regardless of whether they point to anything extant. The locator field says "All Videos." Well, of course, the files shown are but a very small subset of all the video files that are on my hard drives. I think that I have learned by now that I must click on the "folders" icon to the left of the locator field. What comes up next is probably the last directory that I happened to use. If I click the down-delta, I can begin to navigate to directories where there are stored the partial product files of types .dat, .dmsm, .avi, and other files that happen to be stored there.

I right click on the filename of the avi file I want to be able to select scenes from. I set a detection sensitivity, and start autodetect. After the whole avi file has been scanned, there is no indication that is obvious to me except that there does not seem to any more activity. Then I click OK. Here is the main crux of my inquiry: It has happened to me several times, often several times successively, that upon clicking on OK, I go back to the media selection window, and the app seems to go nowhere. Other times, the app goes into some processing mode that puts thumbnails up in a media selector window that allows me to click on green right-pointing deltas, preview scenes, drag them to the storyline, trim the start and end points, and generally perform editing.

What am I doing right versus wrong, that leads to the a successful outcome of putting up thumbnails with green arrowheads, versus just going back to the window showing file and directory names?

Two more questions about scene detection. How can I predict how long it will take for the scene detection to complete? My first impression is that the avi files is scanned at about twice real time. Is that about the rate?

The "help" info on sensitivity is so sparse as to tell me nothing. Higher values means more scenes; lower values mean fewer scenes. Presumably. I have not "experimented" with this enough to answer my curiosity. It would be practically impossible to characterize all home movies with respect to the parameters that scene detection picks up on. Subquestion: What are those specific parameters? and how are they weighted in determining scene changes?

If there were such a thing as a typical home movie, I would pose a hypothetical question: In a one-hour avi file, how may scenes would be detected at senstivities 10, 50, and 90? Has any forum member done the "experimentation" to approach this kind of question?

2 answers to this question

I searched on "scene detection" in this forum, and failed to see an answer to my specific question, and will be glad to be referred to a reference that I have missed.

I am now using C2010 Pro. Win XP Pro SP3. (Formerly used EMC 5, EMC 10, C2009, and maybe possibly even an app before EMC5. But I never got any good at using those apps, and used EMC 5 only for audio.)

In VideoWave, Media Selector brings up display of some files, including many files that have not only been deleted, but emptied from the Recycle Bin. I suppose that these are simply the result of pointers left over from previous operations, regardless of whether they point to anything extant. The locator field says "All Videos." Well, of course, the files shown are but a very small subset of all the video files that are on my hard drives. I think that I have learned by now that I must click on the "folders" icon to the left of the locator field. What comes up next is probably the last directory that I happened to use. If I click the down-delta, I can begin to navigate to directories where there are stored the partial product files of types .dat, .dmsm, .avi, and other files that happen to be stored there.

I right click on the filename of the avi file I want to be able to select scenes from. I set a detection sensitivity, and start autodetect. After the whole avi file has been scanned, there is no indication that is obvious to me except that there does not seem to any more activity. Then I click OK. Here is the main crux of my inquiry: It has happened to me several times, often several times successively, that upon clicking on OK, I go back to the media selection window, and the app seems to go nowhere. Other times, the app goes into some processing mode that puts thumbnails up in a media selector window that allows me to click on green right-pointing deltas, preview scenes, drag them to the storyline, trim the start and end points, and generally perform editing.

What am I doing right versus wrong, that leads to the a successful outcome of putting up thumbnails with green arrowheads, versus just going back to the window showing file and directory names?

Two more questions about scene detection. How can I predict how long it will take for the scene detection to complete? My first impression is that the avi files is scanned at about twice real time. Is that about the rate?

The "help" info on sensitivity is so sparse as to tell me nothing. Higher values means more scenes; lower values mean fewer scenes. Presumably. I have not "experimented" with this enough to answer my curiosity. It would be practically impossible to characterize all home movies with respect to the parameters that scene detection picks up on. Subquestion: What are those specific parameters? and how are they weighted in determining scene changes?

If there were such a thing as a typical home movie, I would pose a hypothetical question: In a one-hour avi file, how may scenes would be detected at senstivities 10, 50, and 90? Has any forum member done the "experimentation" to approach this kind of question?

I never use scene detection since I prefer to define where scenes are instead letting the program "guess" where a scene starts. I go to the timeline and select there what scenes I want in my final production.

Its impossible to even guess at how many scenes would be detected at different sensitivity settings. How would you even define a typical home movie?