• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Rendering Options

oneeng

Question

I have an SD camera, a Core 2 duo 2.33Ghz (8Mb L2), and an HD4670 with Creator 2010.

I have noticed several things:

1. Rendering to a DVI file only uses about 40% of the processor (suspect I am I/O bound)
  2. Only Generic MPEG-2 good quality appears to use ATI Stream, but pegs both processors at 100% (suspect here I am CPU bound)

I like the speed that Generic MPEG-2 gives me, and the quality appears to be OK. Would you recommend using Genric MPEG-2 good quality or DVI rendering for the purposes of creating a DVD to play on a wide screen TV?

3 answers to this question

1. Rendering to a DVI file only uses about 40% of the processor (suspect I am I/O bound)
  2. Only Generic MPEG-2 good quality appears to use ATI Stream, but pegs both processors at 100% (suspect here I am CPU bound)
I like the speed that Generic MPEG-2 gives me, and the quality appears to be OK. Would you recommend using Genric MPEG-2 good quality or DVI rendering for the purposes of creating a DVD to play on a wide screen TV?
Eventually DVI has to be converted to MPEG 2 when creating a DVD. I find it kind of odd that ATI Stream would peg the CPU since it should be using the GPU.

ggrussell,

Thanks for the reply.

So there should be no quality difference if I first render the video as Generic MPEG-2 and then create the DVD, or if I just go straight into myDVD and render it there.

I am also curios as to why the CPU usage is so high when it is using ATI Stream. I am saying that it uses it based on the screen showing it, not based on anything tangible (although it does appear to render quickly).

Ok, I rechecked my data.

The rendering using ATI Stream puts both processors around 50-60% while rendering to WMV (as an example) pegs the processors. Both options take about the same amount of time ..... again I am thinking that the Hard Drive is the bottleneck here.