• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Reserved for drag-to-disc kernel

coripe

On Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6, I cannot do a classic disc copy, from my standard CD drive to my burner drive, because the burner drive is marked "reserved for drag-to-disc kernel." I so do use this regularly to backup files from my hard drive, but I would like to disable it temporarily to occasionally burn discs. The same applies, by the way, when I want to burn a disc using the burner drive only (i.e., transfer to my hard disc and then back to the burner drive). Nothing in the program's Help file addresses this issue.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Coripe

On Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6, I cannot do a classic disc copy, from my standard CD drive to my burner drive, because the burner drive is marked "reserved for drag-to-disc kernel." I so do use this regularly to backup files from my hard drive, but I would like to disable it temporarily to occasionally burn discs. The same applies, by the way, when I want to burn a disc using the burner drive only (i.e., transfer to my hard disc and then back to the burner drive). Nothing in the program's Help file addresses this issue.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Coripe

It should not be necessary to disable D2D. When that error message comes up, it usually indicates that you have a D2D formatted disc in the drive. Formatted discs can only be used by D2D. All other programs require blank media.

However, computers being computers, you can end the program by right clicking the D2D icon in the systray and choosing 'Exit Drag to Disc'. (near the bottom of the menu list)

One concern is that you mentioned using D2D for "backup". D2D is a packet writer, and packet writers are considered the least reliable form of burning ever devised. They are convenient and easy to use until the day you insert the disc and it comes up blank… If you are using RW media with it, it increases the chance for failure.

A better method is to use Classic and keep the disc open by choosing Track-at-Once, Finalize Session. Don't Finalize Disc.

It doesn't work the same as D2D but it is much more stable.

Archived