• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Does EMC8 change DATES of picture files? Open/resave them?

gfcatlanta

Question

I just installed Roxio EMC8 on 5/31/06. (Plain, not Deluxe. English). I tried out a few applications, especially video and DVD related. I recall starting something new, I think it was a movie project, and selecting something like "insert picture". I recall it started grabbing/displaying about every jpg I have on my PC, so I could pick whatever wanted. No big deal I thought, but...

Today I was cleaning up some files and folders and to make a long story short... eventually discoverd that nearly *ALL* my jpg and other image files over the past 10-15 years now have a new date. You guessed it... 5/31/06.

Which application in EMC8 likely did this? Was it "Media Manager"? Did it rip throught the PC's folders and files and "open and resave" every jpg, bmp, etc.? Why? Did it alter the files in ANY other way at all, especially any content/bits/bytes?

This seems hard to believe...no one wants their files unknowingly altered (even a date change). Is there any way to REVERSE this, other than go to a backup tape/drive...which will be a lot of work since my pictures are stored in different folders by year and some other criteria.

If anyone knows more, would appreciate hearing. Will also post this in the Roxio group that includes Media Manager.

Thanks,

George

5 answers to this question

I just installed Roxio EMC8 on 5/31/06. (Plain, not Deluxe. English). I tried out a few applications, especially video and DVD related. I recall starting something new, I think it was a movie project, and selecting something like "insert picture". I recall it started grabbing/displaying about every jpg I have on my PC, so I could pick whatever wanted. No big deal I thought, but...

Today I was cleaning up some files and folders and to make a long story short... eventually discoverd that nearly *ALL* my jpg and other image files over the past 10-15 years now have a new date. You guessed it... 5/31/06.

Which application in EMC8 likely did this? Was it "Media Manager"? Did it rip throught the PC's folders and files and "open and resave" every jpg, bmp, etc.? Why? Did it alter the files in ANY other way at all, especially any content/bits/bytes?

This seems hard to believe...no one wants their files unknowingly altered (even a date change). Is there any way to REVERSE this, other than go to a backup tape/drive...which will be a lot of work since my pictures are stored in different folders by year and some other criteria.

If anyone knows more, would appreciate hearing. Will also post this in the Roxio group that includes Media Manager.

Thanks,

George

Media Manager did it. Go to msconfig, and uncheck the Roxwatch box.

Thank you,

1) Does this mean that I will have to "restore" backup files to get the unaltered-date image files back?

2) Any idea as to how much Media Manager did alter while doing this? ...Isn't it true a file's name gets a new date when it is "re-saved"? So, what else happened to each file before that re-save?

3) If I turn off Media Manager in msconfig, and then "manually" use Start > Programs > ... Media Manager... Will it do this all over again?

4) Is there any reason at all to keep Media Manager? Of course while using applications, I'd like to be able to go to and retrieve/insert pictures and things, so is that capability still in tact? Is there any reason NOT tot turn off Media Mangler?

5) Any idea as to what the software developer was thinking when this was put in? I can't see how anyone would think that users/customers wouldn't mind if filenames got re-dated or altered any other way. Sure there's meta-data and other ways to know a date sometimes, but I *do* use the file's date fairly often as a fallback when in doubt to figure out when a picture was (probably) taken.

Thanks again,

George

The Media Manager does just that ... manage your media. It is 'suppose' to make it easier when adding files to projects. Personally, I find it useless and just as easy to add files without. Unfortunately, you need to restore your files if you want the original file dates back.

Now there are other features like JPG file sharing over the net. Without Media Manager, this feature is gone.

If you would like to keep Media Manager, the proper way to turn off Watched Folders is to launch Media Manager. There is a menu item to turn off Watched Folders. Watched folders does NOT alter the files in any way other than changing the date. It must use the date like a back up app to know that it has indexed the file. I don't really know.

If you don't need any of the Media Manager features, it is safe to remove it. Control Panel - Add/Remove Apps - EMC8 and select CHANGE and then MODIFY. Unselect Media Manager. You can also safely remove Roxio Home. This is for UPnP devices like DVD players and stereos that are connected to your PC via ethernet cards or wireless net cards. I removed both since I don't have any of those devices or need Media Manager.

There is still the 'Media Selector' within the apps when you do a File/Open or Add Image, etc. That is not affected by removing Media Manager.

Thought I would add this. I had the same thing happen to me (argh). Since many of my JPGs were pictures taken with a Digital Camera, they had the internal EXIF dates that were still the original date. I used a program called Exifer to redate all the files based on the EXIF date.

You can get the program here: http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

There are probably other graphics programs that can do a similar thing.

Mark H.

Thought I would add this. I had the same thing happen to me (argh). Since many of my JPGs were pictures taken with a Digital Camera, they had the internal EXIF dates that were still the original date. I used a program called Exifer to redate all the files based on the EXIF date.

You can get the program here: http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

There are probably other graphics programs that can do a similar thing.

Mark H.

Thanks for posting that URL, Mark. I did not have the problem that some have had. I disabled RoxWatch as soon as I installed the software. I then rebooted and never had the problem.

Archived