• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help Opening Images, Word Docs, Video Files

amroth

Question

I made a few DVDs of videos/images/word docs as backup when my harddrive was replaced because of corruption from overheating. When my laptop was returned, roxio was removed so I DLed version 9, but still cannot retrieve the files from the DVDS and CDs. They all show up as single enormous files on each disc. How can I unencrypt them? Thank you.

3 answers to this question

I made a few DVDs of videos/images/word docs as backup when my harddrive was replaced because of corruption from overheating. When my laptop was returned, roxio was removed so I DLed version 9, but still cannot retrieve the files from the DVDS and CDs. They all show up as single enormous files on each disc. How can I unencrypt them? Thank you.

What program from EMC 8 did you use to backup your data files to the CDs/DVDs?

What program from EMC 8 did you use to backup your data files to the CDs/DVDs?

I can't recall exactly since I didn't expect Roxio to be removed by the techs, but I'm pretty sure the button said Data Backup or Data CD. There was an option to have the data only be usable by my computer and I doubt I unchecked that since it's my only computer and I didn't expect all my settings and plugins to be removed from a harddrive replacement. I made sure I could access all my transferred files before I took my laptop into the shop.

You might consider trying to get a copy of EMC 8 at amazon.com or equivalaent.

Best way to backup is to make a data disc (DO NOT FORMAT the disc) and close it to be readable on all CDs. Then check in another computer.

However, not understanding the difference between "archiving files" and "backing up for an emergency restore using the same program", I did the latter when what I needed was the former - fortunately, the repair shop revived my computer, or I'd've lost all my .docs, etc.

Lynn