• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What files should be in the DVD disk for the settop DVD player to read

email4shopping

Question

Hi, I know there is similar thread regarding the fact that some (or most) settop dvd player actually can not play homemade burned dvd. I have similar problem. So I will try to play my burned dvd (which can be played in my laptop with various softwares just fine) on other settops.

However, before I start travelling from friend's house to another, I would like to verify that the content of mu burned dvd is correct.

Here is how I made mine:

After editing with Video Wave

Create ISO file with DVD Builder (has to do this because the direct burn to the disk creating an error updating menu, also discussed as a common problem in a different thead) to my harddrive

Copy the ISO file to the disk using Disk Copier

(BTW, dies the disk copier AUTOMATICALLY finalize the disk?)

The resulting files are: 2 folders (roxioplasma and video_ts)

Under roxioplasma folder, there is metadat.dat file

And under video_ts folder, there are 3 types of files, 3 bup files, 3 ifo files, and 3 vob files (totalling to 9 files). It's a very short video since this is only experimenting, trying to get to work on my settop (less than 2 min movie)

Do they seem to be in order?

I'm using brand new dvd disk, less than 6 mo old, Memorex DVD-R 16x, if that makes any different. I'm using EMC 7.

Thanks a lot

15 answers to this question

I'm using EMC 7 which does not seem to have DVD Info Pro. I downloaded the program from http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ but it seems to conflict with my OS (XP) or other software. I'll keep trying to get it to work while posting here so if there is hints to get to work or other programs I can use.

Thanks.

Edit:

OK, the program crashed when running Media icon (the second icon on the top)

Ran the CRC test, no error found

Tried to run the PIPO test, does not start, hang? how long is this test? I waited about 1 min without any sign of running (it ways in the bottom: Starting PI PO test but it does not change after that). Also have to click the Stop button after opening the test (clicking the PIPO icon), otherwise the status bar says 'double click digital dispaly to edit'.

or other programs I can use

My 7.5 retail does. The free version is buggy on mine too. I like the one below better. Run disc quality and scan disc, disc quality will not work with Plextor drives.

Last Updated: 12 April 2006

Nero CD-DVD Speed V4.51.1 released

Changes

Download.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

cdanteek

cdanteek,

Get Nero CD-DVD speed 4.51.1

Result:

1. Ran Benchmark, error after starting load/eject test (error: medium removal prevented, 055302)

2. Can not rum Disk Quality (says Drive does not support this function, I think this is the drive info: MATSHITAUJ-812_K102)

3. Ran Read test, passed

3. Ran PIPO test, failed also because the drive does not support the function.

I have Sony VIAO laptop (VGN 170P) which is 1.5 yr old with XP service pack 2 installed.

Should I try to buy Verbatim disk before running more tests?

Thanks.

Memorex media is not the best agree with Lance and I only use Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden and burn at 8x or 12x.

How do you choose the burn rate on on the DVD Builder?

OR since the actual burning is done by Disc Copier, is the choice determined there?

Mine only has 2 options on the write speed (destination part on the interface), 1x 1.4MB/sec and 2x (2.7MB/sec) and not 8x or 12x even if the media itself is capable of doing 4x (I'm revising my media used: it's not Memorex 16x but the one that I used is Memorex dvd-r 4x, my last disk of that speed).

Thanks a lot guys (gals?)

Should I try to buy Verbatim disk before running more tests?

See if cddvdspeed will do disc quality on the Sony laptop.

OR since the actual burning is done by Disc Copier, is the choice determined there?

Save in DVD Builder as ISO. Open Disc copier and load the ISO as the source. disc speed option should apear on the right side, drop down menu. Try the Verbatim disc's!

cdanteek

Hi, I know there is similar thread regarding the fact that some (or most) settop dvd player actually can not play homemade burned dvd. I have similar problem. So I will try to play my burned dvd (which can be played in my laptop with various softwares just fine) on other settops.

However, before I start travelling from friend's house to another, I would like to verify that the content of mu burned dvd is correct.

Here is how I made mine:

After editing with Video Wave

Create ISO file with DVD Builder (has to do this because the direct burn to the disk creating an error updating menu, also discussed as a common problem in a different thead) to my harddrive

Copy the ISO file to the disk using Disk Copier

(BTW, dies the disk copier AUTOMATICALLY finalize the disk?)

The resulting files are: 2 folders (roxioplasma and video_ts)

Under roxioplasma folder, there is metadat.dat file

And under video_ts folder, there are 3 types of files, 3 bup files, 3 ifo files, and 3 vob files (totalling to 9 files). It's a very short video since this is only experimenting, trying to get to work on my settop (less than 2 min movie)

Do they seem to be in order?

I'm using brand new dvd disk, less than 6 mo old, Memorex DVD-R 16x, if that makes any different. I'm using EMC 7.

Thanks a lot

The procedure and file structure on your disk appear fine. Memorex is definitely not everyone's favorite DVD brand. For me Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden (avail by mail-order only) are my favorites. Try running DVDInfoPro PI,PO, Jitter test (it's comes with EMC in the "Extras and Uitilities" section) and compare the same video burned on a Memorex and Verbatim. I also stick with DVD-R.

I've also been trying out my home-burned DVDs and playing them in other people's players. I find that older DVD players (4-5 yrs?) have convulsions trying to play home-burned DVDs. Newer players, say 2 yrs or less, do a great job.

Lance

Agreed Lance---Memorex media sucks !!!! That's the worst kind of media you can buy IMO.

I have experienced similar problems with my DVD's not being able to play on friends set top players. After doing some investigations however, I have found that everyone of the players were old (3 to 5 years.) So I would agree with Lance again that probably has a lot to do with it. One other player I expermented with would not play any DVD I made that had one of my stick on labels on it. After burning the same exact DVD, only with out a label, the player played it just fine. I assumed that do to the speed the DVD was turning and the way the player was made, that the player could not handle the possible unbalance of a stick on label.

The files you see on the DVD appear to be O.K. even though it is a small burn.

Frank.....

If those are the only options, then that's all your burner is capable of.

Sony does have a DVD firmware update available (Apr 11, 2006) if you're comfortable doing a firmware update. There's also an update to Click to DVD (Mar 2, 2006) that appears to solve some compatibility problems with EMC7. Neither one says it'll help with anything being discussed here.

Have you performed any burns to a Verbatim DVD?

Lance

(woof)

Lance,

I'll try to do the firmdate update tomorrow (my son has no school today, so I was stuck with him).

Yes, I did Verbatim burn, no luck there.

Thanks

Guest mlpasley

A note of caution....

Not all DVD players or computers will play DVD - R, so you might want to burn a DVD + R also before you start traveling. In fact, I'd burn 2 of each kind so that you have a backup of each kind to verify that the DVD can or cannot be read by that DVD player/computer.

Finalizing the disk is normal.

Just want to update you guys. I tried another DVD player (friend's) and all my DVDs are working fine. Nothing wrong with the way I burn the DVD, the media (Memorex, and all), old or new burn, etc.

Oh well, I guess I need a new player and hoping that my in-laws and parents have the 'more-tolerant' DVD player.

Thanks for all the help.

I would like to verify that the content of mu burned dvd is correct.

Do that first and forget the traveling around part. Use DVDinfo Pro PI PO test and the CRC error test. If there are errors you will see. Save the results and post back.

Memorex media is not the best agree with Lance and I only use Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden and burn at 8x or 12x. Below is the long version of DVD compatability.

Three options -R oldest and most compatible (?) +R next and almost as compatible (?) and the DVD -Rom, what a bought disc is.

There are three different DVD recordable formats DVD-R RW, DVD+R RW and DVD-RAM. Not every DVD player is compatible with each disc. Even discs within each format do not always work on every player. All of them are different and require the DVD player to do different things. However the compatibility is still improved and the chance of a non working DVD recordable, DVD player combination is small under 20%.

Physically there is a difference between a DVD-R disc and a DVD+R disc that is made during the production process. During the production of a DVD-R disc the lead-in is pre-embossed (pre-written).

Booktype field identifies the disc as either a DVD-ROM, DVD+R(W) or a DVD-R(W) disc and is for a big part responsible for the compatibility. Because this setting is overwritten during the DVD-R production process it can’t be modified afterwards, the laser of your DVD recorder simply can’t write to that part of the disc. During the production of DVD+R discs the space is untouched. Every DVD recorder and DVD player has a limit in its firmware to write or read to this space. However, there is no limit for writing the booktype field. Therefor a DVD+R(W) recorder will be able to modify this field by sending a command to the DVD recorder and fool the DVD player.

When the booktype field (bitsetting) is changed to DVD-ROM then DVD players are fooled and will think the user has put in a DVD-ROM disc instead of a DVD+R disc and will read it accordingly. This results in an increased chance that the player is able to read the disc and that’s why the ability to change the booktype field (bitsetting) is essential to a lot of users. Certainly owners of a DVD player that requires this field to be set to DVD-ROM, in order to work properly, will prefer a DVD recorder that supports setting the booktype field.

So after burning a DVD-R, DVD+R, and a DVD+R Booktype changed to DVD-ROM. A disc identifier tool ( DVDinfoPro, Disc Identifer, CDDVDSpeed). The -R Disc & Booktype will be -R, the +R Disc & Booktype will be +R, and the +R Booktype changed to DVD-ROM, will read, Disc & Booktype DVD-ROM.

There is a non-proven (?) procedure for changing the Booktype on -R media. It involves a second session wrote to the disc on lead out. The DVD Player compatibility to play these is another problem!

If you would like a technical look at ( Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W) ) look here.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

There is firmware and software Booktype setting. The software setting is referred to as trickery and some say leads to problems.

A drive to name a couple, Plextor and BenQ come with Plextools and BenQ Suite. There a program designed to work with the drive and its firmware to make these settings. If I check the box in these programs to change Booktype on +R to DVD-ROM no matter what software is used its done.

The two DVD settop players I have will play -R, +R so no problem with single layer disc's. Dual layer is different and I use Verbatim +R DL media and set booktype to DVD-Rom. Both players play them and one is four and a half years old.

cdanteek

How do you choose the burn rate on on the DVD Builder?

Mine only has 2 options on the write speed (destination part on the interface), 1x 1.4MB/sec and 2x (2.7MB/sec) and not 8x or 12x even if the media itself is capable of doing 4x (I'm revising my media used: it's not Memorex 16x but the one that I used is Memorex dvd-r 4x, my last disk of that speed).

Thanks a lot guys (gals?)

If those are the only options, then that's all your burner is capable of.

Sony does have a DVD firmware update available (Apr 11, 2006) if you're comfortable doing a firmware update. There's also an update to Click to DVD (Mar 2, 2006) that appears to solve some compatibility problems with EMC7. Neither one says it'll help with anything being discussed here.

Have you performed any burns to a Verbatim DVD?

Lance

(woof)

Archived