Mix CDs

naomilenny

Question

I have been burning mix CD's from files on my hard drive for years with Rosio Creator Classic. All of a sudden it doesn't work any more. I can still make copies of existing CDs with Disc Copier. When I try to burn a CD from various music files (WMA) on my hard drive, all I get is a CD with .cda files, each only 1 KB in size. They play on the computer, but not in a cd player. I figure that if they're only 1 KB, they must be only pointers to the files on my hard drive. When the process is running it looks exactly the same as it did when it was working. I've tried using Audio Central and even Windows Media Player and I get the same results!

Why is this happening now and how can I fix it?

3 answers to this question

As far as the 1k size is concerned that is correct.And the file is actually kind of a pointer.It just points to a place on the disc where the file actually is.The .cda is a CD standard that CD players recognize.If you tried to copy that file off the cd onto your harddrive and then play it nothing would happen.Are you sure you are remembering to finalize the discs?

Dear Terry,

Thank you very much for your help. I hadn't noticed before that there were only 1 KB .cda pointers on the discs when I looked at them in file manager. I guess because they always played on my CD player. My problem is now solved. There is nothing wrong with either my hardware or my software - my portable CD player doesn't play any discs at all. All the CD that I burned play on my living room stereo player. Sorry to be a bother.

Naomi

As far as the 1k size is concerned that is correct.And the file is actually kind of a pointer.It just points to a place on the disc where the file actually is.The .cda is a CD standard that CD players recognize.If you tried to copy that file off the cd onto your harddrive and then play it nothing would happen.Are you sure you are remembering to finalize the discs?

Archived