Naration WAV files (NAR x.wav)

REDWAGON

Question

I have made two separate productions using Videowave (7.5, updated) and added several (20 or more) audio wav files using my mic, on each of the productions. At the time I was making the first one, everything was great. However, after making the second production with it's own separate NAR files, the audio that you hear is from the first production. Then after going back to check the first production, the NAR files are all mixed up with both the first and second productions.

Chasing down where all the files were stored---I found all of them in C:\documents and settings\(owner name)\My Documents\My Music. I am assuming that because I made, deleted and then re-made several of them, that the numbers and numbers/letters designation on them were all mixed. What I can't figure out is why or how they get transferred from one production to another. I would think that each production when saved would know which NAR files to use for it's own particular production..

What I finally had to do was browse for every one of the files for each production and save them to separate folders (directories--I still can't get away from the old system designations, LOL). I can't find anyway, as the NAR files are made to have the choice to save them to a folder of my choice. They always go to the same place, as shown above. -------------ANY suggestions ???

Frank...

11 answers to this question

Thanks for sharing your solution. After reading both Frank and Merv's posts again, it finally made sense.

Thanks to both of you. I learned something new today. :)

Your welcome, guys. Actually, after reading Frank's initial post, I remembered answering another user posting the same problem in the old forums, but could not remember many of the details. As I messed around a little in Videowave, some of the work around options began to come back to me.

Thanks to Frank for posting his detailed solution.

Well, thanks again Merv for your work around solution. That is so easy and works like a charm. It's just is if it was in the pogram to start with, if you do the workup first. Now I'm a real "Happy Camper" as they say :huh::D:)

Frank...

Thanks for the reply ml. I have everything in order and working corectly on both of the productions now that I have each of their separate NAR files in separate folders. (To get everything working right in each separate production, after I made the folder switch, I had to browse to find each file, until I had all of them recognized.

So I'm not sure if I want to do any removal of files using the tools suggestion just quite yet as I don't want to undo what I have accomplished so far. My main question still is--Is there a way, once you open up the mic Icon and do a voice naration, if there is something that you can click on that allows you to save that particular file to where you want, rather than the sub-folder I mentioned in the original post ??

It took quite a while to search and find each NAR file and get it back into the proper place on each production, but it was worth it. I have saved both productions and all their associated files in several places just to make sure now that I don't loose anything.

Frank....

Guest mlpasley
, if there is something that you can click on that allows you to save that particular file to where you want, rather than the sub-folder I mentioned in the original post ??

I don't know if this will work, but try opening EMC7 Capture. Go to File\ Options and click on Audio and modify the location. It appears that's where all the files are stored that are used in capture from a microphone.

Since I don't do narration, I'd appreciate it if you'd give feedback on whether this works for narration or not.

Deleting the audio preview files shouldn't affect your current production, but you can always do it later. The program just rebuilds the files if it cannot find them while you're editing your production. In fact, deleting the files occasionally is a good idea because they just take up space on the hard drive and you don't need them once you're done with a production.

Thanks for the reply ml. I have everything in order and working corectly on both of the productions now that I have each of their separate NAR files in separate folders. (To get everything working right in each separate production, after I made the folder switch, I had to browse to find each file, until I had all of them recognized.

So I'm not sure if I want to do any removal of files using the tools suggestion just quite yet as I don't want to undo what I have accomplished so far. My main question still is--Is there a way, once you open up the mic Icon and do a voice naration, if there is something that you can click on that allows you to save that particular file to where you want, rather than the sub-folder I mentioned in the original post ??

It took quite a while to search and find each NAR file and get it back into the proper place on each production, but it was worth it. I have saved both productions and all their associated files in several places just to make sure now that I don't loose anything.

Frank....

Hi Frank. I do not think there is a way to specify a location for each individual narration file you create in Videowave, at least the way I think you would like to. However, you can change the location the narration file will be saved to for each production. For example,

1. For Production 1, click Tools\Options in Videowave and then click the File Control tab

2. Click the Browse button in the Narration Files window and select the location you want to save all narration for Production 1. For the sake of this example, let's say you want to send all narration files to D:\Roxio Temp\Production 1.

3. Record all Production 1 narration and they will appear in the selected location.

4. For Production 2, repeat steps 1 & 2 but create a second folder called Production 2 (example - D:\Roxio Temp\Production 2.)

5. Record all Production 2 narration and they will appear in the new location and be separate from the Production 1 files.

The only other way I know of is to record all your narration in Sound Editor, save each to a location of your choice with a unique name, open Videowave, and then drag each narration file to the location you want on the narration track.

Hope some of that helps.

ml---

I'll give your suggestion a try and will get back to you on if there is a way to store your narration files to a different directory using the EMC7 Capture--File\Options--Audio method. The only thing I can think of ml, is even if one can do that, then all you would be doing (I think) is storing them in another folder just like the way it did it before by default.

Merv--

The first 2 steps you show are pretty much what I have done when I made two separate folders for each production and their particular narrations. However, you just might have the better way to go about making a narration (I'll call it that for now) by just doing all your voice overs in Sound Editor. The nice thing about using the program itself though is you get that nice screen that comes up and even gives you a countdown to begin recording and then when you click on stop recording and "Done", you can see immediately what it sounds like in the production itself.

Just having to go to all the trouble I did at first when all the narrations for the first and second productions got all mixed up in that one default folder was not good. And then having to go back through each production and "browse" to find each and every narration that fit a particular slide was not that hard but just took a lot of time.

Thanks ml and Merv for your suggestions. I will fiddle some more with the two productions and try all of your suggestions and will for sure get back with my results.

Boy oh boy is it hot here !!!!! 102 to 104 for the past 3 days now. :) And to top it all of two days ago the air condition unit we have went out. It's almost brand new (2 years old) and it has a 10 year (parts and labor) warranty on it. The installers have been here and advised that it would take a couple of days to get a new compressor that went bad. In the mean time I have three big fans trying to keep us cooled down a bit. :huh:

Cheers

Frank....

Frank, (and others who may be interested)

After a very scientific test :) , Videowave 7.5 does not do a very good job of keeping track of the narration files. For example, if 2 narrations are recorded in a Videowave project, they are saved as NAR2.wav and NAR3.wav in the location specified under Tools\Options\ File Control tab, Narration Files. If Videowave is shutdown, the computer rebooted, the same production opened in Videowave, the next two additional narrations that are recorded will be saved as NAR2.tmp and NAR3.tmp in the narration files location. So, when the project is previewed, the first two narrations will play as expected but the next two narrations will not play, but the first two will be repeated. In other words, Videowave cannot recognize that two narration files have already been recorded and to continue the narration numbering from that point. Videowave starts numbering the files from the beginning. Windows XP, however, cannot have two files with the same name in the same folder so it identifies the second file as a .tmp file.

(Man, after reading this I know what I mean but am not sure I have expressed it clearly)

Does any of that make sense?

Guest mlpasley

I agree. It would just be storing them to another folder and you'd have to remember to do that before you started each narration. That sounds like a real inconvenience.

What I don't know is why you should be having overlapping sound.

Well, I did a lot of expermenting myself on these narration files too. To start with and for answeres to ml's previous reply---I tried doing your suggestion (EMC7 Capture--File/Options and clicked on the Audio listing. Then on the Modify button and made a new folder withn a given name. Now, after going back and making a test production with a couple of narration files using my mic and then saving the production, I went back to check that particular new folder. There was nothing there. The narration files I had made were still being saved in the default folder. So I guess that a NO to your question ml.

However, What merv explained on how these narration files are named and kept, was true to a certain point.

Explanation---If when you are making a narration file in a ceratin production using the default screen that comes up when you click on the mic Icon, it saves them as Merv suggested. BUT, if you don't like that particular narration and delete it and then re-record the same voice again it names it with a designation like nar2a.wav or nar2c.wav and so on. If you don't make any mistakes on any of your recordings, then it saves them pretty much as Merv said. And also when you do another production and do some more narrations, Merv is right trhat it will start out saving them as the temp files he eluded too.

Now--on the suggestion that Merv made regarding clicking on Tools\Options in videowave and then clicking on File Control Tab. That all works !!! And you can name a folder for that particular productions nar files. Then you can shut down and start another production and follow the same thing again and make another new folder for the second production and make some narration files and they will be stored in that new folder, same as the first production. That really works the best. Thanks Merv for coming up with that method. I have done quite a few productions where I needed to do some narrations and it's always been a headache.

So now I have your suggestion Merv to make it a lot easier. KUDOS Merv. I really hope that this particular post and the help I got from ml and Merv will be helpful to others that possibly are having a similar problem and can't explain why some strange things are happening. I will definitely have to agree with ml however, that this is not the best programming code that EMC 7.x has for this type of task. BUT--there is a work around now thanks to Merv.

Many thanks ml and Merv for your suggestions and help.

Frank.....

Guest mlpasley

Thanks for sharing your solution. After reading both Frank and Merv's posts again, it finally made sense.

Thanks to both of you. I learned something new today. :)

Archived