• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Error 1335 In Update: Pcw_cab_family1 Corrupt?

jrobertport

Question

I recently upgraded the operating system on a Dell Dimension 4600C from MS XP MCE 2004 to MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. This entailed a hardware upgrade of a new DirectX-9, 128MB DDR graphics card and a full clean install of windows from a fresh partition. That upgrade went fine. No problems. This did require installation of Cyberlink PowerDVD for MCE to work. MCE wants latest decoders for DVD video. MCE 2005 works beautifully using an AverMedia TV PCMCIA card for SDTV.

I then re-installed each software package I own from the ground up: MS Office 2003, Adobe Acrobat Pro v7, Sonic MyDVD Studio v7, Nero v6, etc. All went fine. All work beautifully.

Then re-installed my retail copy of Easy Media Creator v7. Went fine. Re-registered your product - fine. Then ran update through the Web. Not fine. I get this error message during install of update, which aborts and rolls back afterward:

- - - - - - - - -

Product: Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 -- Error 1335.The cabinet file 'PCW_CAB_Family1' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

- - - - - - - - -

Tried re-downloading update. Same result. Tried downloading independent update file and installing it alone. Same result. Tried repairing original EMC 7 installation using its Windows installer package. (This appears to simply do a re-install.) Same result. Rebooted after each install.

I can't find a file called PCW_CAB_Family1 or anything like it anywhere in the original product CDs or anywhere in the update package.

What gives? Your v7 product doesn't seem to allow me to update it. Previous updating had worked fine for me before the OS change.

By the way, a Google search suggests to me this subject has created threads on this support system in the past, but it appears they've all been erased and the system rebuilt. Tried using Google's cache, but I can't pinpoint any of the answers posted. Very frustrating.

Bob Port

5 answers to this question

Thanks for your time on this. I appreciate it.

I don't think defragmentation will make any difference. It's a brand new partition that's hardly been used. I don't have any adware or spyware.

I think Roxio v7 is headed for the trash heap in my world. I give up. If it can't update, the product simply doesn't work for me. I'll go back to using Nero.

If you have gone on the Internet, you have spyware on your computer.

I don't know what else to suggest except maybe defrag your hard drive, and get rid of any malware/spyware using free versions of AdAware or Spybot, or both.

Thanks for your time on this. I appreciate it.

I don't think defragmentation will make any difference. It's a brand new partition that's hardly been used. I don't have any adware or spyware.

I think Roxio v7 is headed for the trash heap in my world. I give up. If it can't update, the product simply doesn't work for me. I'll go back to using Nero.

First, this is a users forum, not Roxio tech support, so you are not speaking directly to Roxio.

Was the update that you downloaded 120MB? Go to the folder where you downloaded it, and make sure it is shown as 119MB. That is the file size that will show. I remember that sometimes people would get a corrupt file download, at a size around 89MB. If so, unfortunately, you have to try again.

Make sure that You turn off Internet Security, pop up blockers, etc., until you get it downloaded.

------------------

Yes, the download was 121,969KB. I don't think the file was actually corrupt at any point.

I recently upgraded the operating system on a Dell Dimension 4600C from MS XP MCE 2004 to MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. This entailed a hardware upgrade of a new DirectX-9, 128MB DDR graphics card and a full clean install of windows from a fresh partition. That upgrade went fine. No problems. This did require installation of Cyberlink PowerDVD for MCE to work. MCE wants latest decoders for DVD video. MCE 2005 works beautifully using an AverMedia TV PCMCIA card for SDTV.

I then re-installed each software package I own from the ground up: MS Office 2003, Adobe Acrobat Pro v7, Sonic MyDVD Studio v7, Nero v6, etc. All went fine. All work beautifully.

Then re-installed my retail copy of Easy Media Creator v7. Went fine. Re-registered your product - fine. Then ran update through the Web. Not fine. I get this error message during install of update, which aborts and rolls back afterward:

- - - - - - - - -

Product: Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 -- Error 1335.The cabinet file 'PCW_CAB_Family1' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

- - - - - - - - -

Tried re-downloading update. Same result. Tried downloading independent update file and installing it alone. Same result. Tried repairing original EMC 7 installation using its Windows installer package. (This appears to simply do a re-install.) Same result. Rebooted after each install.

I can't find a file called PCW_CAB_Family1 or anything like it anywhere in the original product CDs or anywhere in the update package.

What gives? Your v7 product doesn't seem to allow me to update it. Previous updating had worked fine for me before the OS change.

By the way, a Google search suggests to me this subject has created threads on this support system in the past, but it appears they've all been erased and the system rebuilt. Tried using Google's cache, but I can't pinpoint any of the answers posted. Very frustrating.

Bob Port

First, this is a users forum, not Roxio tech support, so you are not speaking directly to Roxio.

Was the update that you downloaded 120MB? Go to the folder where you downloaded it, and make sure it is shown as 119MB. That is the file size that will show. I remember that sometimes people would get a corrupt file download, at a size around 89MB. If so, unfortunately, you have to try again.

Make sure that You turn off Internet Security, pop up blockers, etc., until you get it downloaded.

Archived