• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable to retrieve data

dandgard

Ok, not sure if this is where i should put this as the problem may run across several different versions of Roxio. What I am currently using is described as Roxio Creator Plus - Dell edition. The problem I am having is that my old cd's that were created in the 2005 to 2006 time frame seem to no longer be readable by either the roxio software or windows explorer. If I look in tools I can see the session, but I cant seem to open the session and see the folders. Is there some way to retrieve the data from the session.

Go to help, about and you should see the version there - then we can work out what it is you're using, then with that, tell us which app in the suite it is that you used to write the discs

Dell OEM support is supposed to come from Dell - but most OEMs indulge in a lot of buck passing

As far as what i used to create the discs, I am not sure, it was a version of easy cd creator. What i get from about this software is a whole bunch of different modules, but the one that seems appropriate is Roxio RecordNow Data version 2.0.4. This is not necessarily a dell problem. I should be able to see the data in windows explorer and I do not. At any rate if i can see the session there should be some way to open it and retrieve the data.

If it was bundled with a Dell machine, it's Dell OEM. There are differences between that and the retail versions, but please, check in the home app and let us know just what it is you are using - the suite itself

There have been different backup apps used - Take 2, BUMP, BOT not omitting the infamous (and totally unreliable) UDF packet writing system in various guises

Ok, not sure if this is where i should put this as the problem may run across several different versions of Roxio. What I am currently using is described as Roxio Creator Plus - Dell edition. The problem I am having is that my old cd's that were created in the 2005 to 2006 time frame seem to no longer be readable by either the roxio software or windows explorer. If I look in tools I can see the session, but I cant seem to open the session and see the folders. Is there some way to retrieve the data from the session.

The last updates to ECDC 5 (the Forum where you posted) were in spring, 2003.

From the dates that you give, I suspect your program is totally unrelated to ECDC 5. There is also something I can't quite put my finger on that says "Roxio Creator Plus - Dell Edition" is based on one of the Versions of Easy Media Creator, which could be EMC 7, 7.5, 8, 9, or 10. The date narrows it down slightly by eliminating EMC 10 and probably EMC 9.

So the information Daithi is asking for is required to give any kind of USEFUL answer. The different Versions were not "improvements" of a previous Version so much as tossing everything out and starting over. What is correct for one Version is irrelevant or even the wrong way for another Version.

Lynn

Ok, here is full info from about this software.

Module Name: Roxio DigitalMedia LE

Build: 2.4.55a

Serial Number:

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2005

Module Name: PX Engine

Build: 4.2.58a, 16

Copyright: Sonic Solutions 2004

Module Name: Roxio DigitalMedia Audio

Version: 2.0.4

Build: 204B45A, EDS

Serial Number:

Module Name: Home

Module Name: Roxio DigitalMedia Copy

Build: 204B48A, EDS

Serial Number:

Module Name: Roxio DigitalMedia Data

Build: 204B51A, EDS

Serial Number:

I don't understand about the responsibility portion of your comment. But if I understand it correctly then Roxio allows those people bundling thier product to introduce a 3rd party piece of software and call it Roxio. Therefore they have no responsibility for it. Sounds like poor business practice to me.

From the dates that you give, I suspect your program is totally unrelated to ECDC 5. There is also something I can't quite put my finger on that says "Roxio Creator Plus - Dell Edition" is based on one of the Versions of Easy Media Creator, which could be EMC 7, 7.5, 8, 9, or 10. The date narrows it down slightly by eliminating EMC 10 and probably EMC 9.

So the information Daithi is asking for is required to give any kind of USEFUL answer. The different Versions were not "improvements" of a previous Version so much as tossing everything out and starting over. What is correct for one Version is irrelevant or even the wrong way for another Version.

Lynn

Lynn

So what you are saying is i need to know what version created the cd, which i dont remember other than it was Roxio. And no matter whether the versions of a piece of software are rewritten or not the new software should be backwards compatible with what has gone before, that is basic business 99. I have a huge volume of data that has been recorded using a product and when I go to retrieve the data I find that I cant. So from a users standpoint I guess I can afford to lose the data, I have other time consuming methods of recreating it. But if I find I have to do that, then the word Roxio will no longer be in my dictionary.

I don't understand about the responsibility portion of your comment. But if I understand it correctly then Roxio allows those people bundling thier product to introduce a 3rd party piece of software and call it Roxio. Therefore they have no responsibility for it. Sounds like poor business practice to me.

So what you are saying is i need to know what version created the cd, which i dont remember other than it was Roxio. And no matter whether the versions of a piece of software are rewritten or not the new software should be backwards compatible with what has gone before, that is basic business 99. I have a huge volume of data that has been recorded using a product and when I go to retrieve the data I find that I cant. So from a users standpoint I guess I can afford to lose the data, I have other time consuming methods of recreating it. But if I find I have to do that, then the word Roxio will no longer be in my dictionary.

So, you are giving your serial number to anyone and everyone who knows how to use a search engine - these are public Forums searched by google and other search engines, and you feel you will acomplish something by harranguing the software users who volunteer here about what Roxio management should have been doing?

If you want to communicate with Roxio, try the links in this page -

http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/default.html

(right-hand column)

Try opening up one of the applications, click on help, and then on about, you should be able to find the Version there. The dates clearly say it isn't the 1999 program ECDC 5.

Lynn

PS - I'd suggest you EDIT OUT the serial numbers.

OK - the Roxio software is a suite of programs - what we NEED to know is just WHICH suite you are talking about. You are quoting version and rev numbers of different apps within that - that's not really helpful. None of us here (unless they have a 'company' ident) work for Roxio so we don't have access to a list of what app version was bundled with what

Regarding Dell software, please read this KB article

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/conte...S=set-locale=en

However, the dates on the apps would suggest a four year old program and possibly Easy Media Creator 8 (or maybe 7.5). If you used Drag to Disc, that uses packet writing which is totally unreliable (and was dropped a couple of years back). Presuming the disc contents are not corrupt, the need a capable program to READ those and, while the original app could read them, in general they were unreadable on other machines (even different versions of that had difficulty readong files written by another version)

If the above is the case, you MAY be able to retrieve the files using either of the two following (the trial vertsion will tell you if the drive is recoverable and is free)

http://www.cdroller.com/

http://www.isobuster.com/

Archived