• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

iMovie HD vs iMovie 09

bfuger

Question

I have both iMovie HD and iMovie 09 on my computer. When I tell Easy VHS to DVD to send the movie to iMovie, it opens version 09. iMovie HD works better for these type conversions. How do I get Easy VHS to DVD to send the movie to iMovie HD instead of 09. Many thanks. Bill

7 answers to this question

According to the specs iMovie HD is supported (I believe that's the name of iMovie v6). Have you tried having iMovie HD open before choosing to export to iMovie?

Do you have the full version of Toast or Popcorn or are do you just have the Toast 9 Basic that comes with the device? If you have the full versions of either Toast or Popcorn you can use their convert window to convert the MPEG 2 video file created by Easy VHS to DVD for Mac to MPEG 4 or DV for import to iMovie HD.

tsantee-

Thank you for your helpful response. To answer your question, I noticed in an earlier post that you suggested having iMovie HD open when choosing to export to iMovie, and I tried that, but it was fruitless. I still got the "iMovie application could not be found" error message.

As to your second suggestion, I do have the full version of Toast 10 Titanium w/blu-ray plug in. I've never tried using conversion feature in Toast 10, so I guess I'll give that a whirl. Still wish that iMovie HD would open when saving Easy VHS to DVD video and using the export to iMovie option. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Curious??? How does it "work better"?

The capture will be no better than 720 X 480 @ 8mbps… Trying to output it at a higher quality usually results in degrading the video.

Sorry I do not know any way to change the output... I suspect it will be a 2 stepper :D Output to iMovie then save and open that file in iMovie HD.

I have both iMovie HD and iMovie 09 on my computer. When I tell Easy VHS to DVD to send the movie to iMovie, it opens version 09. iMovie HD works better for these type conversions. How do I get Easy VHS to DVD to send the movie to iMovie HD instead of 09. Many thanks. Bill

I have experienced the same problem. I'm one of those who think iMovie HD06 is a superior video editing program than iMovie 09. However, Easy VHS to DVD doesn't appear to recognize iMovie HD06 when using the "save to iMovie" option. I even tried deleting iMovie 09 from my hard drive, leaving only iMovie HD 06 as an option, but when I did that, and attempted to export video saved from Easy VHS to DVD, I get an error message stating that the application iMovie can't be located (or something to that effect). Does Easy VHS to DVD only recognize iMovie 09 as an output option!?! If so, that's a serious flaw in the software. Many iMovie enthusiast prefer iMovie HD 06 over iMovie 09.

Is there any "work around" to this?

Curious??? How does it "work better"?

The capture will be no better than 720 X 480 @ 8mbps… Trying to output it at a higher quality usually results in degrading the video.

Sorry I do not know any way to change the output... I suspect it will be a 2 stepper :D Output to iMovie then save and open that file in iMovie HD.

iMovie HD is a single step process. Import the video. Done. iMovie 09 is a multi step process and takes significantly longer. I'm not a movie "technical guy", but for my process of converting old family VHS tapes, iMovie HD is faster, simpler and easier. Thanks for your help. Regards, Bill

I have experienced the same problem. I'm one of those who think iMovie HD06 is a superior video editing program than iMovie 09. However, Easy VHS to DVD doesn't appear to recognize iMovie HD06 when using the "save to iMovie" option. I even tried deleting iMovie 09 from my hard drive, leaving only iMovie HD 06 as an option, but when I did that, and attempted to export video saved from Easy VHS to DVD, I get an error message stating that the application iMovie can't be located (or something to that effect). Does Easy VHS to DVD only recognize iMovie 09 as an output option!?! If so, that's a serious flaw in the software. Many iMovie enthusiast prefer iMovie HD 06 over iMovie 09.

Is there any "work around" to this?

According to the specs iMovie HD is supported (I believe that's the name of iMovie v6). Have you tried having iMovie HD open before choosing to export to iMovie?

Do you have the full version of Toast or Popcorn or are do you just have the Toast 9 Basic that comes with the device? If you have the full versions of either Toast or Popcorn you can use their convert window to convert the MPEG 2 video file created by Easy VHS to DVD for Mac to MPEG 4 or DV for import to iMovie HD.

iMovie HD is a single step process. Import the video. Done. iMovie 09 is a multi step process and takes significantly longer. I'm not a movie "technical guy", but for my process of converting old family VHS tapes, iMovie HD is faster, simpler and easier. Thanks for your help. Regards, Bill

OK - Thanks!

Archived