• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

CD/DVD Burning Capacity

Anne9

Question

I have burned many CDs and DVDs successfully with Creator 9 on my Vista (32bit) machine, 3 gb RAM, lots of free storage. In the the last few months I have had problems in the capacity notations when burning. When selecting files to burn, the program says I have selected files (talking plain old data files here) that are about 1/2 the capacity of the inserted disk. For example, several files that add up to 2 gb for a DVD. I checked back in the properties for the individual files and the size of the files is correct. So then I start burning. The program burns fine until the very end when it comes up with "xx mb over". The disks seem to be correct, but I can't really tell unless I look at every little bit of data. I am assuming that the "capacity" or "over' graphic and notation is simply wrong. But then I am only filling DVDs half full for fear that there is really not enough room. Suggestions?

6 answers to this question

I am burning plain old data files. No audio or video.

I have not started using a new disk brand, but will check that out as a possibility

thanks

Anne

I was hoping you would provide a lot more detail

What program are you using to make these Data burns?

What settings – is the media being Finalized (Closed) or left open to write more data?

If Open how much is actually on there? There is a lot of overhead when you leave a disc open.

It also depends on what you are doing???

What are you doing – Data – Backup- Audio – Video???

I am burning plain old data files. No audio or video.

I have not started using a new disk brand, but will check that out as a possibility

thanks

Anne

I was hoping you would provide a lot more detail

What program are you using to make these Data burns?

What settings – is the media being Finalized (Closed) or left open to write more data?

If Open how much is actually on there? There is a lot of overhead when you leave a disc open.

Sorry, here's some more information. I am using Roxio Creator Premium 9.0.116 using the Data/Data disc "mode". In the "options" I have tried a few settings. The current settings are: Disc at once (DAO) closed; mode 1;ISO+Joliet; Write once set to "closed"/disks used for one recording; verify data checked I am using Verbatim DVD-R disks; (Ihave tried other settings eg open wiht no change in outcome). The files to be burned are 1GB in aggregate. The program shows 4.4GB availablae to begin with. Then I add the folders and it shows 3.46GB free (logical). While burning it refers to xxx of 1,013MB progressing. All well so far. Then it completes and shows "over 306mb". When I look at the final disk, it has 1gb of data. All the data appears to be there. The "properties" of the disk show that the disk has no free space, all used even though the size of the data is 1 gb. I have no probable as I guess this is a method of showing the disk is "closed". However, (1) this behavior only started a month ago and (2) Am I to assume that the "space available" which shows when I am dragging folders to the program, is correct? Do I just ignore the" xxxmb over" notation after burning?

Hope this helps. Thank you for answering.

Anne

YES!!!

Anything you know about files and magnetic media (disks) is meaningless when you use Optical Media, discs :o

Optical media, R, RW or RE are finalized with those settings and nothing can be written to them again.

Try using Creator Classic, (Burn Data Disc-Advanced), and setting the Project Settings to UDF w/Joliet Bridge.

Then when you burn, make sure you do not have a checkmark set by the “Read-Only disc”.

post-39730-1260219150.jpg

This would allow more to be added to the disc later if you choose. It is called Session Writing and is very stable and reliable. A Read Only disc is as reliable as you can make a disc, but Sessions is a close runner-up

Look there in Help – Contents – Working with data discs – Adding data to an appendable disc, for more info.

Try some RW discs first! They are great to learn & test with since you can erase and reuse them. Not so hot for permanent data as they fade with use and time…

Archived