• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

.net 3.5 does not install

Tom L

Question

After a major Windows XP sp3 re-install,I am getting to re-installing all the apps.

Roxio 2009 was running nicely prior to Win re-install.

All program files were still on the HD so I followed all 'clean install' procedures and cleared all Roxio Sonic files and cleared the registry plus Application Data folders.

Now, I can't get past installing .net3.5 - let alone getting to 3.5 SP1.

Turned off most background services and anti-virus.

Still cannot get it installed.

Been all over the MS help boards as well.

Any ideas?

Tom

6 answers to this question

After a major Windows XP sp3 re-install,I am getting to re-installing all the apps.

All program files were still on the HD so I followed all 'clean install' procedures and cleared all Roxio Sonic files and cleared the registry plus Application Data folders.

Any ideas?

Tom

You say that you did a major Windows XP sp3 reinstall? How did you do that, and why did you do that? You may have messed things up enough that you need to do a clean install of the OS, which is a format C:.

@Big Dave - it is not on the Add/Remove list.

@Digital Guru - the pagefile.sys file was corrupted. The system would not write a new pagefile. Didn't matter what I set in the Advanced panel - always showed 0 virtual memory.

I reinstalled Windows XP from CD and then SP3 after that.

However,I did npt re-format 'C' - what do you suggest - a re-do?

Thanks

Tom

@Big Dave - it is not on the Add/Remove list.

@Digital Guru - the pagefile.sys file was corrupted. The system would not write a new pagefile. Didn't matter what I set in the Advanced panel - always showed 0 virtual memory.

I reinstalled Windows XP from CD and then SP3 after that.

However,I did npt re-format 'C' - what do you suggest - a re-do?

Thanks

Tom

If you did not do a clean install of the OS, then you will possibly have gremlins from the last install. I always format the drive, prior to installing an OS, no matter the reason I am installing.

Any ideas?

Tom

Just to share the steps I did when I encountered a similar problem with net 3.5 (but for Creator 2010) early on when trying to install C2010. I can not say if it will fix your issue but just to give you idea. Come back and let us know your progress. Good luck!

After Creator 2010 failed to install .net v3.5 SP1, I tried the Microsoft automatic update. It offered to update and install security update for v3.5. I chose Express installation but again it failed when it came to installing the v3.5 SP1 update. I checked the update history and the error provided for the failure is as follows.

[06/27/09,20:29:50] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a: [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a. MSI returned error code 1603

[06/27/09,20:30:55] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0a is not installed.

I began searching the net about 2.0a. It appears that even though I have v2.0, I didn't have 2.0 installed which probably the installer was looking for. Eventually, after hours and hours of perusing websites and forums, I came across one that said to uninstall 2.0 using Aaron Stebner's cleanup tool and then apply the Microsoft fully redistributable v3.5 SP1 file. Voila, it worked like a charm after following the suggestion. All net frameworks below 3.5 was updated to SP2 and the v3.5 to SP1. And the Creator 2010 installed without a hitch. :)

Persistence paid off!

There may something to that.

Right now I'm catching up on all the updates since my re-install. Thew Windows Update gives up when trying to load .net 1.1 update!! So there is some issue there.

I have 1.1 but not the SP1 of it.

Do not have 2.0 - but will look for it.

Oh man, that re-format is looking good now.

Thanks.

Tom

Archived