• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 18 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

black border showing on all 4 sides of DVD video

biclops

Question

Program: myDVD -- new user here, and I'm pretty new to video editing in general.

My source video (2 files) has an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Procedure followed: I create a new project, with 16:9 as my menu aspect ratio. Add my movies, create my menus, etc., nothing fancy, just some text basically. "Burn" to an .iso image (so I can make multiple copies: these are for family members), and use imgburn to burn the iso to a DVD.

End Result: When I watch on a 4:3 TV, I see black borders only on top and bottom, as I should. When I watch on a widescreen TV, there are black borders on all 4 sides, and the picture takes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire screen. When I pop the DVD into the computer and watch it windowed (as oppose to fullscreen) with Media Player Classic, it shows as 4:3 with black borders on top and bottom.

Question: Is there a setting I'm missing here? I thought my DVD would be encoded with a native resolution of 16:9, but it looks like I'm out of luck with that. I searched the help file for about half an hour and the forums for about an hour looking for answers only to come up empty. Am I the only one having this problem? Is there a simple solution?

Thanks to all who reply.

P.S. Everything appears in a 16:9 aspect ration in preview mode.

Edited by biclops

2 answers to this question

No, sounds like the original video is NOT true 16:9, but rather 4:3 (16:9 letterboxed). Meaning the top/bottom bars are permanently there.

If it is true 16:9 and the preview is in 16:9, then it should burn that way. OPen MyDVD, File/ Project Settings and make sure that is set to 16:9. Without the original file or a screenshot, can't really help more.

Edited by ggrussell

No, sounds like the original video is NOT true 16:9, but rather 4:3 (16:9 letterboxed). Meaning the top/bottom bars are permanently there.

If it is true 16:9 and the preview is in 16:9, then it should burn that way. OPen MyDVD, File/ Project Settings and make sure that is set to 16:9. Without the original file or a screenshot, can't really help more.

Looks like it was a setting on my DVD player. it plays correctly now.

Thanks.