poor picture quality

niktbj

Question

i am now running roxio 9 ultimate and have just made a slide show and the quality is still as bad as the output from roxio 6 am i doing something wrong or do i buy 10 and hope for the best, i read tip in the support page that creator 8 allowed you to adjust the quality is this correct

dave

17 answers to this question

i am now running roxio 9 ultimate and have just made a slide show and the quality is still as bad as the output from roxio 6 am i doing something wrong or do i buy 10 and hope for the best, i read tip in the support page that creator 8 allowed you to adjust the quality is this correct

dave

What software do you really have? There is Easy Media Creator 9 and Creator 2009.

For either version, MyDVD defaults to the useless "Fit to Disc" quality setting. Always change it to High Quality (HQ), and burn to a Folder Set or image file, not directly to a DVD.

If you have emc 9, you use Disc Copier to burn that Folder Set, or .iso file, to a DVD. If you have Creator 2009, you use Video Copy and Convert.

hi

i have now completed my video slide show containing about 170 photos at a resolution of about 5m/pixel each these are played to a sound track of about 18 meg, in total there was about 1.3 gig of subject matter and is about 18 minutes long the resulting show was excellent but the picture quality is still abysmal, i did everything suggested including choosing HQ when makiing the DVD, am i expecting to much from this program

regards dave

Did you actually burn it to a DVD? The picture quality should be excellent.

i did and the quality is poor !!!!!!!!!! is there a chance you could try this proceedure and try to fathom out where i'm going wrong, need to sleep now

kind regards dave

I have had no problems in Creator 2009. Maybe try going the Software rendering approach. In MyDVD, Tools/Options, click in circle to the left of Software.

Also, while you are there, clear your proxy files.

i did and the quality is poor !!!!!!!!!! is there a chance you could try this proceedure and try to fathom out where i'm going wrong, need to sleep now

kind regards dave

Like Bruce I have no problems creating slideshows. What exactly is your definition of "poor"? You will of course have much lower quality then your original 5 mega pixel photos since the resolution has to be reduced to be compliant with the DVD standard.

What software do you really have? There is Easy Media Creator 9 and Creator 2009.

For either version, MyDVD defaults to the useless "Fit to Disc" quality setting. Always change it to High Quality (HQ), and burn to a Folder Set or image file, not directly to a DVD.

If you have emc 9, you use Disc Copier to burn that Folder Set, or .iso file, to a DVD. If you have Creator 2009, you use Video Copy and Convert.

thanks for your swift response the program is creator 9 ultimate version 111B1E, this is how i proceed to make a slideshow, ...choose the "photo" option on the left hand task bar then "create slideshows" i then add photo's and audio and "make a slide show" i then save the results which i then burn to DVD, the resulting show is a very good one but the picture quality is very poor,...if you are going to advise me of a better way please give me an idiots guide i.e step by step, by the way the photos i use are usually 5mega pix each, your concern and help is much appreciated

dave

thanks for your swift response the program is creator 9 ultimate version 111B1E, this is how i proceed to make a slideshow, ...choose the "photo" option on the left hand task bar then "create slideshows" i then add photo's and audio and "make a slide show" i then save the results which i then burn to DVD, the resulting show is a very good one but the picture quality is very poor,...if you are going to advise me of a better way please give me an idiots guide i.e step by step, by the way the photos i use are usually 5mega pix each, your concern and help is much appreciated

dave

Your video is of poor quality, because you are using an antique video card, and I am really surprised that the software works at all. That video card was designed for DirectX 3!

List the rest of your system specs.

i think you may have hit the nail on the head, the whole system is about 4-5 years old (and will be replaced in jan) the system has an AMD athlon xp 2800, (you will have to be more specific if you want anything else) however, and forgive me if i appear dim ! if i put the pics on a Powerpoint slide show or view them on any other medium they are great, but even in the set up stages of the Roxio "create a slide show" they are poor and remain that way in the finished project

i think you may have hit the nail on the head, the whole system is about 4-5 years old (and will be replaced in jan) the system has an AMD athlon xp 2800, (you will have to be more specific if you want anything else) however, and forgive me if i appear dim ! if i put the pics on a Powerpoint slide show or view them on any other medium they are great, but even in the set up stages of the Roxio "create a slide show" they are poor and remain that way in the finished project

I think that you will like the outcome, once you get your new computer up and running. Let us know.

dave

The name of your software is Creator 2009 Ultimate, not Creator 9 Ultimate!

Here is how you should be making your slide shows. Click on the Video-Movies tab, then click on Edit Video-Advanced. That will open VideoWave, the best program, in the suite, to build your slide shows, and edit them, and video clips.

Click on File/New Production, then on Normal or Widescreen. If your photos aren't widescreen photos, you will want to click on 4:3.

Bring in your photos, add transition, text, audio, whatever.

Once you are done, save your project, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, select High Quality (HQ), then author your production any way you want, and burn it.

Keep in mind that you can get 1 hour of video/slide show, on a standard 4.7GB DVD, at best quality. File size does not control, when you are creating a video, which your slide show is.

Like Bruce I have no problems creating slideshows. What exactly is your definition of "poor"? You will of course have much lower quality then your original 5 mega pixel photos since the resolution has to be reduced to be compliant with the DVD standard.

hi there sorry it took so long to respond

it,s difficult to be precise when trying to describe picture quaility, but i'll try, there is little deffinition on peoples faces and if there was anything other than good light the scenery and other backgrounds are not acceptable, if i was to rate them as a figure i would say they were no better than a foto taken on an early mobile phone maybe 1.3 m/pix, will try the previous tips and let you know how i got on

dave

The name of your software is Creator 2009 Ultimate, not Creator 9 Ultimate!

Here is how you should be making your slide shows. Click on the Video-Movies tab, then click on Edit Video-Advanced. That will open VideoWave, the best program, in the suite, to build your slide shows, and edit them, and video clips.

Click on File/New Production, then on Normal or Widescreen. If your photos aren't widescreen photos, you will want to click on 4:3.

Bring in your photos, add transition, text, audio, whatever.

Once you are done, save your project, close VideoWave, open MyDVD, select High Quality (HQ), then author your production any way you want, and burn it.

Keep in mind that you can get 1 hour of video/slide show, on a standard 4.7GB DVD, at best quality. File size does not control, when you are creating a video, which your slide show is.

You sir are a star :)

nvidia riva tnt2 tnt2 pro

i don't know if it's worth mentioning but when i view the the foto's from from file in the "windows picture and fax viewer" or any other suite they are excellent

dave

As I posted above don't expect the same quality in your slideshow as in the original photos. The resolution has to be reduced to make the video DVD compliant - this means lower quality.

i don't know if it's worth mentioning but when i view the the foto's from from file in the "windows picture and fax viewer" or any other suite they are excellent

dave

When you create a (standard) DVD you will have just 480 pixels NTSC / 576 pixels PAL for vertical resolution. Period. Afterall, the DVD standard was tiered for the older — non-HD! — TV set.

If you want to maintain high-resolution picture quality, consider other types of Slide shows.

dave

Your video is of poor quality, because you are using an antique video card, and I am really surprised that the software works at all. That video card was designed for DirectX 3!

List the rest of your system specs.

You sir are a star :)

hi

i have now completed my video slide show containing about 170 photos at a resolution of about 5m/pixel each these are played to a sound track of about 18 meg, in total there was about 1.3 gig of subject matter and is about 18 minutes long the resulting show was excellent but the picture quality is still abysmal, i did everything suggested including choosing HQ when makiing the DVD, am i expecting to much from this program

regards dave

Archived