• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Can I re-sell a previous (OEM) version that has been registered?

heywood_si

Question

Hello,

I've done a quick search here, read the license agreement and tried in vain to contact roxio to ask this question.

I have a Lacie DVD writer that came with Toast 6 Titanium. I registered this in my name and have since upgraded to Toast 7. My Roxio account shows Toast 7 and Toast 6 OEM as being registered to me. Toast 7 shows a license key and Toast 6 doesn't. I would like to sell my Lacie DVD writer, but am I allowed to sell Toast 6 with it? It's not clear to me if my upgrade to Toast 7 (I went for the special opening offer electronic download version) took into account me owning Toast 6 or not, i.e. was it an actual 'upgrade' price or a full version price?

The problem I have is that the Toast 6 CD also includes the Lacie DVD drivers and user manual, etc. So if I'm not allowed to resell Toast 6 would it be acceptable for me to removed the CD key from the CD case and ship that with the Lacie drive? That way the buyer would get the Lacie drivers, etc, but be unable to register Toast 6.

Many thanks for any help you can offer,

Cheers, Si

6 answers to this question

Well, I'm just going to guess I can't. I'll ship the CD, but I'll take the CD Key sticker off the CD Sleeve. I can't see that I'm breaking any license agreements that way.

Check with Lacie, it is their OEM version of Roxio.

Well, I'm just going to guess I can't. I'll ship the CD, but I'll take the CD Key sticker off the CD Sleeve. I can't see that I'm breaking any license agreements that way.

As soon as you transfer the original CD to someone else then you don't own that copy of Toast any more. So go ahead and transfer the CD Key with it and, if you haven't already done so, trash that copy of Toast from your hard drive. I don't know if you can unregister a license or what happens when the new owner tries to register it again. But as long as the person has the original install disc and the CD Key they own that copy of Toast.

Then again, I could be wrong. But that's my understanding of how software licenses typically work. Hopefully we'll get an official response from Roxio.

Archived