• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
hanexs

Where are the backups saved?

Question

Hi,

I have an HP Mini, with backontrack. It got a virus, so I tried to restore, which broke me being able to boot (woohoo....).

So I downloaded disaster recovery which should be able to restore from boot. Only problem is I cant find the backups (I made 3) on the c drive. Is there a standard directory where BackonTrack put them?

thank you

1 answer to this question

Hi,

I have an HP Mini, with backontrack. It got a virus, so I tried to restore, which broke me being able to boot (woohoo....).

So I downloaded disaster recovery which should be able to restore from boot. Only problem is I cant find the backups (I made 3) on the c drive. Is there a standard directory where BackonTrack put them?

thank you

A friend of mine did something similar a few years ago - made several backups onto different partitions of his main (and only) Hard Drive - and when the HD died, he lost it all.

Generally, a backup will be put where you tell the program to put it. A good place to put it is on some other drive, or burn to DVD. But it's a bit late for that now.

At this point, you are going to need some kind of outside help, such as starting with getting the drive dis-infected by putting it as a slave to a master drive in another machine and running an AV search on it. After that, if there's anything to look at, you can check if you can find the backups - which may or may not be useable depending on what got compromised.

I got my Win2K back by having it disinfected that way, but the virus took out all the .exe files so I had to re-install all applications. Fortunately, the Operating System hadn't been compromised.

Lynn