Disk for Mac & PC

DaveBest

Question

Hi

I am considering purchase of Toast 10 to solve a problem, and would like confirmation that it will do as suggested.

I need to create a CD which will open on both PC and Mac. Ideally autorun on PC (I understand that this will not work on Mac), with logo on both, and navigable to "read_me" file on mac with application file for running.

I have tried using MacImage on my PC. 2 years ago, this created a CD which worked on both platforms, but I now have a problem - the CD will autorun on my PC, but my Mac does not even recognize the Mac content - it considers it a blank CD.

I believe I have the image created correctly - with separate icon files - one of the correct format in each section, read-me.txt file in generic area, autorun.inf in PC section, and player (for flash component) in generic area.

All I need is for the files to autorun on the PC (which they currently do), but also have the Mac files recognized on the Mac so people can run them themselves.

Can anyone confirm whether Toast 10 will facilitate this - either using the image I already have, or with its own tools?

Thanks in advance

Dave

3 answers to this question

Toast provides a couple options for this. One is a Mac & PC format and the other is a Custom Hybrid format. In both cases an autorun file can be selected for the PC side. I suggest purchasing Toast as a download from Roxio because they offer a 30-day return policy if the software fails to meet your needs.

I am trying to prepare a DVD with slide shows, image folders and pdf files for my 50th HS reunion. It will be read by PC and Mac folks. It is authored on a Mac. In trial runs, some PC users have problems getting past Windoz Media Browser, which tries (but fails) to read the main files, which are .mov files created by FotoMagico.

To get around this, I thought that an autorun (for the PC) could open a pdf document that would then guide them to make sure that they have QuicTime 7.0 and then allow them to click on the .mov file.

Various posts say that putting an autorun.inf file in the root directory will do the job. I even find scripts that seem to do it. But how do I prepare the auto.inf in the Mac and how do I get it to the root directory of the DVD? And while you are at it, do you have a script that will work?

Thanx in advance.

Bob (Ex-NASA)

Toast provides a couple options for this. One is a Mac & PC format and the other is a Custom Hybrid format. In both cases an autorun file can be selected for the PC side. I suggest purchasing Toast as a download from Roxio because they offer a 30-day return policy if the software fails to meet your needs.

Archived