• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

EMC 9 PCBackup - Using flash drives...

xcalibur4

Question

I want to backup my files onto a flash drive....the number of files is over 5000 and the size is about 9.6Gb...

My question...can I backup to multiple flash drives ??

...or do I need to get a 16 Gb flash drive to hold this backup ?? I know I can back up these file using multiple DVD's, but I want to try using a flash drive.

Thanks....

7 answers to this question

Haven't tried yet....wanted to know if I could before I bought a 16 GB flash drive....would rather buy 4 gb...can get 'em pretty cheap here...less than $10 at Office Depot :rolleyes:

Nuts, I only have one on hand... :glare: I could run a test with one. Just reuse it as disc 2...

I'll try that and post back in an hour or 2.

Edit: well 1 1/2 hours later and I am still trying to fill the "first" 8GB thumb drive... I am runnign Roxio Backup on EMC 9 on a 550Mhz PC. It is a USB2 port, but it must be carrying the data One Bit at a time :lol:

Brendon, do you have any idea if this will work?

No idea, Jim, sorry. I would never use a backup utility for this, or a pendrive - they're both a bit too flakey for me and apart from being quite expensive compared to plastic, the data retention life of flash drives is quite short.

I would use just a straight copy onto disc, with verify. Two copies if the files are important.

Did they have USB 2.0 way back then, Jim? I would have thought it would be USB 1.1.

The do when you install a card that adds 2, USB 2 ports as well as 2, 1394 ports :D

It worked and it didn't work… It ended in an Error

Not so sure it isn't a software problem. I have 5 different version of Roxio on that poor PC, so there could have been a conflict or it could have been in the data I was feeding it. That drive is pretty lean and I really had trouble finding an excess of 8 GB to put on it!

Brendon, do you have any idea if this will work?

I've had it for today, I had a Blu-ray project fail after spending 51 hours rendering :( - I'm going to watch TV and rethink this tomorrow. ;)

No idea, Jim, sorry. I would never use a backup utility for this, or a pendrive - they're both a bit too flakey for me and apart from being quite expensive compared to plastic, the data retention life of flash drives is quite short.

I would use just a straight copy onto disc, with verify. Two copies if the files are important.

Yah, I don't have a lot of faith in them either...

I want to backup my files onto a flash drive....the number of files is over 5000 and the size is about 9.6Gb...

My question...can I backup to multiple flash drives ??

...or do I need to get a 16 Gb flash drive to hold this backup ?? I know I can back up these file using multiple DVD's, but I want to try using a flash drive.

Thanks....

what happens wehn you try it?

Archived